NRA Instructor Shoots Student - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA Instructor Shoots Student

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    You can have a dozen safety devices on a firearm, and it still won't prevent an idiot with a gun from having a ND. A SAFETY IS A MECHANICAL DEVICE. IT CAN FAIL. USE IT, BUT DON'T TRUST IT!

gf
    The point that I was making was that my gun doesn't have identical safety features as the other weapons mentioned. I don't need the lecture on the reliability of mechanical parts.
    A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern.

Quote Originally Posted by SkydiverRick View Post
    The point that I was making was that my gun doesn't have identical safety features as the other weapons mentioned. I don't need the lecture on the reliability of mechanical parts.
    Not a lecture, just clarifying for those that may not understand the importance of safe firearms handling techniques. Many people read this fourm, not all of them are forum members. Some may be first time firearms users or very inexperienced. By doing our best to provide accurate and concise information, we may be helping many people.

gf
    Last edited by Glock Fan; 03-02-2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling error
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Not a liecture, just clarifying for those that may not understand the importance of safe firearms handling techniques. Many people read this fourm, not all of them are forum members. Some may be first time firearms users or very inexperienced. By doing our best to provide accurate and concise information, we may be helping many people.

gf
    Since it was attached to my post, it seemed to be directed at me. I have no problem with you reinforcing safety with the population in general though. We can't ever be too safe.
    A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern.

Quote Originally Posted by SkydiverRick View Post
    Since it was attached to my post, it seemed to be directed at me. I have no problem with you reinforcing safety with the population in general though. We can't ever be too safe.
    Thanks for understanding that it wasn't personal. It's great when we learn from each other on this site.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

This is pretty much like people with guns kill people, sort of thing. Yes, stories like this could hurt instructors. But instructors must learn not to bring loaded firearms to class. Maybe that should be specified in each courses where instructors teaches, like the one I attended to last weekend. As soon as we entered the classroom and were all seated, our three instructors asked if there are anyone carrying and that if anyone has a loaded weapon to please take the magazine off and bring it back to their cars before the class can start.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I have asked people to leave my class for bringing live ammunition into my classroom. There is absolutely NO excuse for that.
    As for Glock, I have 8 Glocks, some of which have THOUSANDS of rounds through them and never had a ND. Once again, it's all in the user. For those who don't like them, that's fine. Please don't say that the NDs are Glocks fault. I had a big-name gun with a manual thumb safety that literally FELL OUT of the gun. Safeties do fail, however the problem is almost always the user. Go to a reputable Glock dealer and have him/her go through the gun thoroughly with you. A decent dealer will spend half the day training you, if necessary. Also, TAKE CLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this also fits with the equipment safety training I do. I would classify the gun's safety and an operator aid. It does not make the firearm safe, it assist the operator in the prevention of an AD. Those who rely on a safety to prevent a discharge are not playing it safe.

I remember seeing the 60 Min. or 20/20 but it was the guy who designed a rifle trigger assembly for Remington. There was a flaw in the design which he found after a couple of years of production, and there were reports of AD's. He admitted there was a flaw and even told the reporter it could have been fixed on the line for about $10 per unit. They asked if he thought it was responsible for the accident, and he said No. His reason is no matter the use of the safety, if the shooter never points the muzzle in any direction that could cause harm or kill someone when loaded the accident cant happen.
    Agree or not, but I do think he has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    I wont own a Glock. Never. It has to lead in ND's by a large margin. And by those who are supposed to know how to handle guns. It has a inherent flaw and the ND,s are the fruit of it.

Negligent discharges are caused by ….wait for it…. negligence. They are not caused by any inherent flaw in the weapon, regardless of what type of weapon you’re talking about.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Problem solved
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Negligent discharges are caused by ….wait for it…. negligence. They are not caused by any inherent flaw in the weapon, regardless of what type of weapon you’re talking about.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Problem solved
    But, but, but... It's so much easier to blame an inanimate object for the problem than it is to take personal responsibility when bad things happen. "I didn't mean to shoot Bill. It's not my fault that damn thing went off when I was cleaning it."

Hey, wait a minute. That's the same way anti-gunners work. Is it coincidence or is it...
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

The frozen tundra!! Also known as Minnesota

locveblackwell

I am pretty sure it's been said somewhere in the many posts before mine, BUT...

In my classes, my firearms are the only ones allowed in the classroom. Range is different. My firearms are locked open without a mag inserted, and EVERYONE who walks into the classroom has to walk by them, look inside them, and make sure both the guns, as well as the mags are empty.

I know that sounds like a hassle and more work, but I'd rather take the extra 2 minutes to ensure safety, than to see someone get hurt or killed.
    MN Permit to Carry Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, PPITH
    NRA Life Member, 3 x Iraq War Vet

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast