going to buy a jimenez - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: going to buy a jimenez

+1 RH
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    The Jimenez 9mm is part of the 'ring of fire' firearms. I sold a group of them back in the 80's because they were inexpensive. I told all my customers not to expect them to be a range gun just to expect them to be a last resort firearm. In some states they are considered to be a Saturday night special and are illegal. The melting point of the material is very low so they won't hold up to a lot of firing. Save up your money and try to get something a little better. You'll be glad you did in the long run!
    Back eirlier today when I looked up the Manufacture, Jimenez, the reviews brought the term Saturday Night Special to mind. I kind believe only half of what I hear out of Wikipedia, and use a lot of salt on the other half. With that in mind there is a post on Wikipedia that does list Jimenez...
    Saturday night special - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legal "junk gun" definitions
    Legal definition of a "junk gun" usually restrict the materials that can be used in the manufacture of said gun, targeting zinc castings, low melting points (usually 800 degrees Fahrenheit), powder metallurgy, and other low-cost manufacturing techniques. As nearly all guns made this way are chambered for low pressure cartridges, such as .22 Long Rifle and .25 ACP, these techniques provide sufficient strength for the low powered cartridges and desirable weight and cost savings. The low strength materials and cheap construction result in poor durability and marginal accuracy at longer ranges, but as most of these guns are designed for use in self defense , accuracy and durability are not primary design goals. Most guns targeted by the "junk gun" bans are made by a group of current or former manufacturers in the Los Angeles, California area, such as Bryco Arms, Jimenez Arms, Jennings Firearms, Raven Arms, and Phoenix Arms (the latter so-called because it "rose from the ashes" of Raven Arms, after the Raven Arms' factory fire). All of these past and present companies are linked by various family ties, and are collectively known as the "Ring of Fire." Their guns sell for as little as US$50 new. Other legislation targets specific inexpensive models by highly reputable manufacturers such as Colt, Taurus, Smith & Wesson and Ruger.
    Semper Fi

people told me to stay away from hi-point i owned two.. they said would be goold use as a anchor on a boat
    and the people at target world to me to stay away from taurus the guy behind the counter said the judge is junk
    sure he wants me to spend over 500 to a grand for a gun but it's not in my budget
    The only bad gun, is a empty one.

Quote Originally Posted by seeley booth View Post
    people told me to stay away from hi-point i owned two.. they said would be goold use as a anchor on a boat
    and the people at target world to me to stay away from taurus the guy behind the counter said the judge is junk
    sure he wants me to spend over 500 to a grand for a gun but it's not in my budget
    He is wrong about the "judge" being a junk gun. Yes, a salesman is going to want you to spend as much as you can... You need to do your homework... find a good deal on something slightly used. Like I said before, don't shy away from a good used handgun. A used handgun that has been taken care of will out last you. I have seen used 2nd generation Glocks in excellent condition for under $350.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    A used handgun that has been taken care of will out last you.
    +1. I've purchased several used guns, and have never had issues with them. The last one I got was from a local store, and they sold it new to someone, who brought it back a while later and traded it. They said that they knew the guy who had it first, and he was very meticulous about his stuff, and they would back up anything going wrong with it. In most cases, I would rather buy used than new with almost anything, except underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    He is wrong about the "judge" being a junk gun. Yes, a salesman is going to want you to spend as much as you can... You need to do your homework... find a good deal on something slightly used. Like I said before, don't shy away from a good used handgun. A used handgun that has been taken care of will out last you. I have seen used 2nd generation Glocks in excellent condition for under $350.
    I got several great deals on Glock pistols that were "pre-owned". A few of them still had the copper grease put on at the factory. There are many reasons why people change their minds after purchasing a firearm. As long as the gun has been checked out by a competent person, I'd have no problem purchasing a "pre-owned" firearm. You'll get a good deal as well as save some $$.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I've owned Hi Points and they are heavy, unhandy, and dependable once broken in. I'd never carry one for self defense if there were something better available. I've never owned a Jimenez, but if forced to choose between that and the Hi Point, I'd unhappily carry the HP. If you're determined to buy one you should read the forum where the fans post:
    bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com :: Index

I picked up a surplus FEG PA-63 a while back when they were common. I paid $99 for it and would carry it before any of the choices you've listed. I think you'd do well to look at inexpensive surplus pistols.
    Polish P64 9x18 Makarov Double Action Walther PPK style. Very good condition
    CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military Pistol Part #CZ82-GUN
    That's two companies and two more dependable choices -- there are plenty of others.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Right on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I've owned Hi Points and they are heavy, unhandy, and dependable once broken in. I'd never carry one for self defense if there were something better available. I've never owned a Jimenez, but if forced to choose between that and the Hi Point, I'd unhappily carry the HP. If you're determined to buy one you should read the forum where the fans post:
    bryco-jennings-jimenezarms.com :: Index

I picked up a surplus FEG PA-63 a while back when they were common. I paid $99 for it and would carry it before any of the choices you've listed. I think you'd do well to look at inexpensive surplus pistols.
    Polish P64 9x18 Makarov Double Action Walther PPK style. Very good condition
    CZ-82 Czech 9x18 Makarov Military Pistol Part #CZ82-GUN
    That's two companies and two more dependable choices -- there are plenty of others.
    the CZ-82 is a great weapon. as is The Makarov. if money is a issue, it is for us, you CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THESE CHOICES. The P64 is good too. i gave mine to my brother as a gift. ol' knucklehead sold it
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS TRAINING TO KILL YOU. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Quote Originally Posted by seeley booth View Post
    soon as i'm over this cold of mine.. when bill goodmans knife and gun show returns next month
    i'm gonna buy a jimenez 9MM i saw a review on youtube the guy mis prnounce the name
    the J is silence.. i owned a high point 9MM to heavy i handled the jimenez it felt right
    I hope you don't plan to use it except for maybe a paper weight.
    Good Luck!!!
    John
    http://www.packing4life.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12