Tampa man shot trying to fend off attacker
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tampa man shot trying to fend off attacker

Tampa man shot trying to fend off attacker

So what do you do when you get a knock on the door from someone you don't know? I think the worse part about this was the BG was already forced back outside and could have just ran away. Instead shot through the door then ran. Prayers to a full recovery Mr. Lorins.

Tampa man shot trying to fend off attacker - Bay News 9

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- A Tampa man was hospitalized overnight after an attempted home invasion.

According to the Tampa Police Department, 74-year-old Robert Lorins was shot in the stomach and is in critical condition at Tampa General Hospital.

Officials said the shooting happened in the 2100 block of Gordon Street just before midnight when Lorins heard a knock at the door.

When he answered, the person outside tried to force their way in. Lorins was able to fight the person off but as he closed the door, the person outside fired a shot into the door.

Lorin's son Brett was home at the time of the attempted break in. By the time he reached the door, his father was shot and the gunman was gone, he said.

The older Lorins, who suffered injured organs and blood loss, is expected to undergo a second surgery today.

Meanwhile, officials said there are no witnesses and an investigation is ongoing.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Robert Lorins sounds like a very brave man My blessings goes out to him and, his family. I hope they catch the Scum Bag who shot him.. He deserves to be laying in Hospitol Not, Robert.

I don't usually answer the door for a stranger. I have iron bars and an iron gate that covers a small front porch/entryway. No one can get to the front door unless I let them in. there is a peep hole in the door. If I do open the door they can not get inside the porch. Also on the rare occasions that I might actually answer I have my gun on. Call me paranoid but I like to look at it as leaving nothing to chance.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Also on the rare occasions that I might actually answer I have my gun on. Call me paranoid but I like to look at it as leaving nothing to chance.
    I do the same thing. I'm out in the absolute middle of nowhere, so visitors are few and far between. There have been some occasions where someone came to the door and I answered it with my gun pointing at them behind the door, through the glass. The blinds kept them from seeing it. I hate to hear something like that happening, but further backs up my reasoning.

I would not answer the door that late unless I was armed. Not much you can do though when someone shoots through the door.
    The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose. - Frederick Douglass

This is the kind of thing my wife needs to see so she can stop telling me I'm crazy paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Also on the rare occasions that I might actually answer I have my gun on. Call me paranoid but I like to look at it as leaving nothing to chance.
    ....and you will have a fighting chance. Would really have sucked if part of that report said he had a gun but left it laying on his coffee table when he answered the door. It doesn't do one any good to carry it unless one ALWAYS carry it, imo.

I looked up that address on mapquest it is on Davis Island which is a pretty good area.

We never open the door to a stranger. My wiife will just let the dogs bark at whomever it is until they leave without acknowledging their presence. If they tried to break in, they would not go far. She would drop them like a bag of hammers. If really necessary we can talk to the person through the door, but we just don't open our home to strangers ever.

Same here.....

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    This is the kind of thing my wife needs to see so she can stop telling me I'm crazy paranoid.
    They don't seem to understand what's out there.....
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’ — Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast