Be careful with gun and children at home
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Be careful with gun and children at home

Be careful with gun and children at home

I know this has nothing to do with guns but think if there had been a gun available to the children, it could have turned out much differently.

Myrtle Beach teen charged with trying to kill brother over video game | SCNow

MYRTLE BEACH—A 13-year-old from Myrtle Beach is charged with assault with the intent to kill after playing a Wii video game with his 11-year-old brother.

According to a Myrtle Beach Police Department incident report, the brothers’ parents were bowling while a babysitter stayed home with the kids at Colonial Apartments on Oak Street Feb. 22.

The report states the boys were playing Wii when the teen became irritated with his younger brother who was dancing around the room when he started winning.

The babysitter told police the teen got an aluminum baseball bat and began chasing his brother around the house; but she was able to stop him from hitting his brother. She said after that, they began playing the game again and everything appeared normal.

Then the 11-year-old began teasing his brother again, so the teen went to the kitchen and got a knife off of the refrigerator, according to the report.

The babysitter said the teen started walking towards the 11-year-old with the knife and she held him against a wall to keep the brothers apart. She reports the teen said multiple times he would kill his brother.

The teen said he then dropped the knife and started crying.

The teen was taken to Conway Medical Center for a mental evaluation. His mother asked that he be deemed incorrigible, saying she fears for his safety and the safety of her family.

Hey FN1910: There is no way (other than a safe where you are the only one with the combination when you are not carrying or when you are carrying ) you can equate a gun in the house with kids. Kids are basically stupid (not in a demeaning sense but in a rational thought-process manner) and extremely curious and inventive. No matter where you think you can hide a gun, they will find it. Many posts on such an issue and IMO no matter what anyone says about serious "training" of children about guns etc and the "need" for several guns at optimum locations throughout a house, it is only by sheer luck that they have not witnessed tragedy. IMO this is a clear black and white issue---guns and kids do not mix--no matter what.

Interesting. When raising our children we didn't hide tools. We kept them out of reach until they were old enough to understand what would happen if any tool was used improperly, whether a kitchen blender or a gun. Fortunately, having exceptional children was a plus. The point I'm trying to make is that tools were not mysteries and therefore they didn't go looking for the "forbidden fruit". They also didn't want to show them to their little friends as the tools were just a part of life.

As far as the juvenile delinquent in the story above, the tool was not the problem it was the boy who has some serious emotional problems that go way beyond any tool he might abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey FN1910: There is no way (other than a safe where you are the only one with the combination when you are not carrying or when you are carrying ) you can equate a gun in the house with kids. Kids are basically stupid (not in a demeaning sense but in a rational thought-process manner) and extremely curious and inventive. No matter where you think you can hide a gun, they will find it. Many posts on such an issue and IMO no matter what anyone says about serious "training" of children about guns etc and the "need" for several guns at optimum locations throughout a house, it is only by sheer luck that they have not witnessed tragedy. IMO this is a clear black and white issue---guns and kids do not mix--no matter what.
    This is how some in the government and everyone at The Brady Center feels about you having a gun. There are very few black and whites in this world. Some children should never touch a gun even once they're adults. Others can handle the responsibility and the age varies. About every other month or so in the NRA magazine on the "Armed Citizens" page there is an account of a young teenager driving off intruders or killing an animal that is attacking a sibling - something along those lines. To quote CSN&Y "Teach your children well..."
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Maybe the parents should be deemed unfit.

Most children by nature are selfish and violent, it's part of human nature. It takes good parenting to teach children to embody good characteristics such as sharing and peaceful resolution.

Ironic, as I'm writing this, my youngest (2 1/2) just intentionally smashed her older sister's (4) finger with a jumbo lego block because she didn't want her to play with "her" blocks. Now she's in time out because of it.

Maybe if they had taught their son at a younger age not to "smash fingers" when he was angry, this might have never happened.

When my children were young, I kept my guns locked up. When I was young, my father took a different approach. He took me out and showed me what a .357 magnum could do. It made an impression! He told me that his guns were always loaded, that they were worthless when you needed them otherwise. He said that I could look at it and handle it any time I wanted to, as long as he was present and that I could shoot it whenever I was ready. No mystery, no dangerous curiosity. Fifty-plus years later, I still have and cherish that S&W Model 27.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

I remember that my father and I had guns when I was 12 and there was never any issues. They were never locked up and I never played with them and neither did my younger sister.

Now, it is not reasonable to compare one scenario to any other as the family dynamic is a very big variable. Children are taught very differently family to family and some are not taught properly at all. Each child is different and one formula is not necessarily right for all. I taught my boys that guns are a tool and all can kill. They had their curiosity satisfied at an early age and never touched them if I was not physically present. Now, my now ex wife inststed that we had a gun safe and I did get one for sake of marital harmony (see where it got me in the end). Now, with the boys out of the house and also my stepdaughter (to say nothing about wife #2 being much more of a realist about everything), things are a bit more relaxed. I do keep the pistols in a tabletop safe next to the bed because of young visitors and the fact that some parents do not keep their children on a short leash and let them pretty much run amuck. I had that reality struck home when my young neice & nephew stole money and pens from my dresser a couple Christmases ago. We didn't even realize that they went into our bedroom by themselves until after I found things missing.

You have to do what you feel is most approoriate with your particular home situation keeping in mind that if a child gets harmed with one of your firearms, it is your direct responsibility legally period. Lack of malace has nothing to do with it. Still, regardless of the legal ramifications, imagine having to live with this tragedy for the rest of your life. It's way too easy to avoid. Children are somewhat unpredictable regardless of what kind of parent you are. You just never know and better not to know after it's too late.

When I was 6 years old I became interested in guns after seeing my Grandfather's 410 shotgun. My family didn't have guns of any type in, or around the house, but my father knew that my interest would only increase as I got older. He did the best thing he could have done, he took me to a N.R.A. instructor at a local gun club, and we all sat down and talked about guns. Starting with safety first, then explaining how the firearm worked, what it was capable of doing if not treated with respect, etc... My father enrolled me in the club's youth program, bought my first target rifle, and put me in the capable hands of the N.R.A. Instructors. I still remember the lesson's learned, and achievements made as I became one of the top shooters for my age at the club. 40+ years later, and after teaching many people how to shoot including my daughter at the age of 8 those lessons still echo in my ears. Children today are growing up much too fast due to Television, Internet, and the absence of parental guidance. Most of these stories of children shooting, or killing someone with a gun makes me mad at the parents for either not teaching them the social skills needed, and probably lack themselves. It is the parent's job to see if their child has a problem mentally! Just as it is the parent's job to see if the child has a problem physically. The child in the story here has issues for sure, but where did they come from? Without some type of intervention, or treatment he will surly end up another statistic.
    To this day my father still does not own a gun.

Stockton Springs Maine. Originally from Vinalhaven Maine

It's strange

Fn1910 states that this has nothing to do with guns. Then goes on to say what could have happened had the child gained access to a gun.Responsible people take every precaution humanly possible to avoid situations where a young child could gain access to any dangerous item. This can include drain opener, a pan full of boiling water, keys to the family car, matches, I think you get my drift. This just sounds to me like yet another attempt to blame the gun for the actions of people.
    No one with an ounce of sense would trivialize the importance of keeping guns out of reach of children, or for that matter any unauthorized persons. But I have to agree with kelcarry, this sounds like something the Brady bunch would latch onto as part of their anti-gun ramblings. If you have a firearm in the home for self defense, keeping it locked in a safe makes it almost as useless as not having a gun at all. Come to think of it, is that not what the ultimate goal of the anti-gunners are?
    P.S. I think Crosby,Stills, Nash,and Young are great!

Stockton Springs Maine. Originally from Vinalhaven Maine
    A BIG sorry. I meant to say I agree with avidshooter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast