Handgun for female shooters. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun for female shooters.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    You made a good choice. $800 seems a lot but you get what you pay for. Great quality and one of the best customer services available. I have an arsenal of handguns to choose from but I keep carrying my Kahr's.
    I have a friend who has a Kahr P9 - and couldn't say enough about it. I've also read about the reliability and durability of these weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPirate View Post
    MK9 is also my concealed choice. It's the first compact gun I've ever owned, and fired extensively but I don't find the weight to be that bad. It's probably a bit to heavy for pocket carry, but other than that I see no downside to it being a bit heftier than most, reduces the snap back and I enjoy the feel of a solid handgun. I should probably mention that I'm not a female, and would recommend this gun for any gender. For such a small gun it's a joy to shoot.

It is expensive, but like someone said you get what you pay for. Also if you shop around, and are willing to go used you can knock off a lot of money. I picked mine up for $600 with two extra mags. The only issue were the grips were fairly worn. I think knocking $200+ off the price is worth grabbing a 6 month old gun. And as a fan of 1911's I view $600 as chump change compared to what I've paid for other pistols in the past.
    I wasn't implying that is a 'woman's gun' by any means. I think its an excellent design, and feel for anyone. $800 isn't much in the comparison to even entry level 1911's - I've had 1911's but keep coming back to Glock - so $800 compared to a Glock gives some sticker shock.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Hey clearsight >> That thing isn't even pink!
    Just kidding. When I started to read what you wrote I was thinking of mentioning the MK9 for exactly the reason you picked it. ( I realized that as I read on)
    I have a Springfield EMP and chose the .40 instead of the 9mm. Not just for the bigger bang but because the frame is stainless steel and therefore a bit heavier.
    Kahr makes fine guns. My wife has a Kahr p380. Good luck

Eh I should clarify, I didn't mean to come off as sexist. When I first got my .454 I was dating a girl that was almost as tall as I am, 6'2". She wanted to fire it, and I'd been there when she fired my .41 mag so I thought she would be able to handle it. Needless to say she broke her nose and I felt awful.

Now I'm dating a girl that's all of 5'4" and she handles the Raging Bull like she's Dirty Harriet. So I really don't think there's anything as a 'chick gun'. I just get a little bit overly defensive about my baby, so I apologize.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

Nothing like a slieek Kahr if you can spare the extra cash. Nice gun!!

My wife uses a CW9 and a PM9 as her carry guns, depending on the situation, what she's wearing, etc.

She started out with my Glock 26 at first, but once she shot the CW9 and found out how much better that gun fits her hands I was out $350 for a new Kahr 9mm. Then, we ran in to a PM9, and it was so much smaller and easier to carry.....

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    She wasn't to keen to Taurus after the gun shop commando told her they were unreliable and people return taurus almost immediately after purchase for repair....

I think Taurus makes some decent stuff, but she wasn't interested....

Ooh that pisses me off! A gun store lost my business because a clerk with an opinion and a big mouth told me it was "irresponsible to carry an unreliable gun", referring to my Taurus PT140 Pro. Not all of us can afford Sigs, XDs, Glocks, Kahrs, Smiths... Taurus makes a good gun for the money. I had a 1st generation PT140 and after a couple hundred rounds, it fired without a problem. I sold it, later missed it, and got another, but this time a 2nd generation "Pro" model. From the first shot to the now 3000-ish shots, not a single functionality problem. Not ONE. Not the most accurate gun but plenty enough for SD. My only complaint was with the smoothness of the trigger pull and the long trigger reset.

I finally got some money together and am now carrying an XD full-time but still carry the PT140Pro from time to time. Great concealability.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

for my wife's tiny hands

I've carried a Taurus PT140Pro for a few years, now an XD. My wife enjoys shooting, but she's got VERY small hands, even by female standards. Very small. All my handguns are between "too big" and "way too big" for her. She handles the calibers just fine, it's the FIT that's the problem.

We'd shopped around and "tried on" several guns. The only autos that fit her well were Kahrs, but we couldn't swing Kahr's prices, especially since, without a CPL, she won't be carrying it. We're just talking recreational and home defense use. We ended up having to get her a revolver, a Taurus 851 CIA, .38Spl.

Unfortunately we almost immediately found that the trigger pull was too stiff for her to continuously shoot. After about 5 shots, her fingers were too weak to keep shooting. Fine, another $50 for a trigger job, no biggy. Well, they backed off the trigger only to find that the hammer wouldn't drop hard enough to ignite the primers. Ultimately I don't think they were even able to take a full pound out without creating FTFs.

Back to the drawing board.

We now have found the perfect auto for her. We're sold on the Taurus 709 "slim". We tested it at the range and she loves it! Hell, I liked it a lot, too. It's quite concealable, controllable, accurate, and IT FITS! Fits her hand(s) great, has a short, crisp trigger pull, packs enough punch, and she had no problem loading her own mags.

Taurus has only improved with each passing year. I think you'll find that their new(er) models are better made than their predecessors. Not to mention, all Taurus' are rated for unlimited (+P) shooting and have lifetime warranties. For those who are looking for a decent handgun for less than the $600 standard, I'll always point them to Taurus.

I haven't got anything against Kahrs but "price". The Taurus 24/7 ProC; 40sw or 45acp are excellent choices for CC; and I can buy them BOTH for the price of one Kahr.

My wife is a professional executive herself. Most of the time she CC's (appendix position) the 24/7 ProC 40 in a cheap Uncle Mikes and you honestly can't tell she's carrying. When she wears "tighter" clothes, she carries her Bersa 380 with it's slimmer profile.

Yeah, Taurus' 24/7 Pro and the PT1911 are their "flagships" right now - their best pistols, IMO. The "709" is making its mark, tho.

to all,

my daughter, when she decided to CCW didn't want A PISTOL, she wanted MY PISTOL - a "lightly custiomized" MAKAROV, which she says is "PURR-fectly grrl-size".
    (so i gave her the MAK & bought a P6.)

she carries it in one of several washable "custom-made" thigh holsters (in different colors), for wearing under long wrap skirts, which looks like a garter belt with pistol attached. - comes out from under that skirt, FAST & in ONE motion.

YEP, she had to use it to defend herself in TX last year = attempted mugging; mugger ran out of luck!
    (AmerIndian girls are COLD-bloodied & self-reliant, as a rule, in an emergency.)

note to all: in my experience, it is NOT a good idea to try to train a woman, if you are a BF/relative, as women will NOT typically "take correction" from you HAPPILY- invest in PROFESSIONAL lessons. = the 450.oo that i paid for my daughter's lessons was CHEAP at twice the price, especially when weighed against a visit to the ER or a funeral.

yours, TN46

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast