Handgun for female shooters.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun for female shooters.

1. Handgun for female shooters.

I just wanted to throw this out there to possibly save anyone the time, expense, and frustration that we went through in finding a concealed handgun for my fiancee.

Backstory:
    She expressed interest in shooting a few months ago, so she accompanied me to the range, and had a good time. I showed her what I knew and she became a pretty good shot. She expressed interest in a CCW License so she signed up for a course and qualified with a 100%

She started looking at choosing a weapon system, having learned on my Glock 17 & 26 she thought the 26 would be a good option. She loves the G26 but after trying on several holsters she can't find any that allow her to actually conceal the firearm. She wears business type attire, slacks, a tight-ish shirt but no blazer, or any garment that would allow her to conceal a larger/thick type firearm like the G26.

She became frustrated, and started looking at ankle holsters. Not really liking the idea of carrying in an ankle rig I started looking at other firearms. I found a Kahr PM9 that she was able to conceal on a waist rig. We rented it and she hated it. It was very snappy, due to its light weight of 14oz, and since its a 'micro' gun it was very hard to keep a hold of. She dismissed the idea.

I started researching and found a Kahr MK9 which is the same size as the PM9 except it weighs an impressive 22oz. I figured the added weight would make a difference in felt recoil so I ordered it form a gun store and purchased it for her- an $800 wager on whether or not she'd like the way it shot paid off to my relief.

Range Report:

Very accurate shots, and a smooth double-action trigger. Reliable through 200 rounds and best of all she can carry it comfortably without having to alter her wardrobe, and without having to carry in an impractical ankle system. (If I had to choose between an ankle holster and no gun I'd choose the ankle but i'd avoid carrying that way if at all possible).

The Kahr MK. 9 is a viable option for female shooters looking for a 'micro' sized weapon in a full size caliber. It's an attractive weapon system and shoots and handles quite nice for such a small firearm.

The only negative that comes with this firearm is the price tag- my cost was $760 + tax.

Kind of on the high side. Great that she found something she liked.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

4. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Kind of on the high side. Great that she found something she liked.

gf
    I agree, they're VERY proud of their product, I could have bought 2 glocks at that price lol. She's not interested in owning a ton of firearms so $800 for the rest of her life isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    ... so $800 for the rest of her life isn't bad.
    Oh if only it were that easy for me!!!

I'm having somewhat the same problem; the wife did very well at Frontsight shooting an XD 9 from strong side OWB (concealed by a sweatshirt). While she'll carry that way with me on the way to the range, she is reluctant to carry such a bulky weapon day-to-day. She, too, is quite trim, and wears business attire with usually no jacket or vest.

So...maybe I missed it, CST, but how is your lady concealing this new weapon?

7. Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I'm having somewhat the same problem; the wife did very well at Frontsight shooting an XD 9 from strong side OWB (concealed by a sweatshirt). While she'll carry that way with me on the way to the range, she is reluctant to carry such a bulky weapon day-to-day. She, too, is quite trim, and wears business attire with usually no jacket or vest.

So...maybe I missed it, CST, but how is your lady concealing this new weapon?
    Im going to put some pics up in a few minutes, but it's just right of small of back so around 4:00ish

CST, did you give any thought to the Taurus 709 slim ? nice little gun with very low felt recoil, and one of the smallist 9mm I have seen, wife and I both have one 3000 rds between the two, any ammo no hiccups

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    CST, did you give any thought to the Taurus 709 slim ? nice little gun with very low felt recoil, and one of the smallist 9mm I have seen, wife and I both have one 3000 rds between the two, any ammo no hiccups
    She wasn't to keen to Taurus after the gun shop commando told her they were unreliable and people return taurus almost immediately after purchase for repair....

I think Taurus makes some decent stuff, but she wasn't interested....

Kahr MK9 with AA batteries for size comparing...

You made a good choice. $800 seems a lot but you get what you pay for. Great quality and one of the best customer services available. I have an arsenal of handguns to choose from but I keep carrying my Kahr's.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

MK9 is also my concealed choice. It's the first compact gun I've ever owned, and fired extensively but I don't find the weight to be that bad. It's probably a bit to heavy for pocket carry, but other than that I see no downside to it being a bit heftier than most, reduces the snap back and I enjoy the feel of a solid handgun. I should probably mention that I'm not a female, and would recommend this gun for any gender. For such a small gun it's a joy to shoot.

It is expensive, but like someone said you get what you pay for. Also if you shop around, and are willing to go used you can knock off a lot of money. I picked mine up for $600 with two extra mags. The only issue were the grips were fairly worn. I think knocking $200+ off the price is worth grabbing a 6 month old gun. And as a fan of 1911's I view $600 as chump change compared to what I've paid for other pistols in the past.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast