Range Report M&P40 Fullsize.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report M&P40 Fullsize.

Range Report M&P40 Fullsize.

I got time to go to the range today and they had a lane open that I could use for the first time in months so I got to shoot my M&P40 for the first time. I put a hundred rounds of my carry ammo ( Winchester Ranger SXT ) and had no failure's to feed with the carry ammo. I then put five hundred rounds of Remington UMC 180 grain 40 cal down range and the gun worked great I had only one failure to feed at about four hundred and fifty rounds the slide locked back with ammo still in the clip I just racked the slide and it was good to go. I did ok for my first time at any range in years and the first time shooting a 40 cal ever as well as first time shooting a hand gun since 2004. Grouping can be better but hey only the first trip of many and I can only get better from here. I will post a photo or two of a few targets.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

FIVE YARDS.

TEN YARDS.

All and all not bad for the first time back now i just need to work on pulling the grouping closer together. But the most important thing is I had fun. This is just two of my targets I shot more but the rest focused on drawing from the holster and working on reloading times.I should say this now before I get comments on it the ten yard target with shots in and around the head I meant to do it was not missed shots. I was trying to see how good of a group i could get lol and I sucked bad.

4. Hey M&P 40, I will take a shot" here and say that I came very close to buying your gun. BuT after two range sessions I declined. Why? I couldnt pull groups tighter naturally or deliberately and had to succumb to the fact that I couldnt be reliable to defend myself with it. It is still a mystery to me but I think it may have to do with the striker trigger itself. Maybe ergonomics, wrong back strap, I dont know. But my groups looked as bad or worse than yours. So I moved on to a Sig and found what I needed. I have never shot so bad in my life as with a SW M&P 40. 7 yards. Hope you can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    Hey M&P 40, I will take a shot" here and say that I came very close to buying your gun. BuT after two range sessions I declined. Why? I couldnt pull groups tighter naturally or deliberately and had to succumb to the fact that I couldnt be reliable to defend myself it. It is still a mystery to me but I think it may have to do with the striker trigger itself. Maybe ergonomics, wrong back strap, I dont know. But my groups looked as bad or worse than yours. So I moved on to a Sig and found what I needed. I have never shot so bad in my life as with a SW M&P 40. 7 yards. Hope you can do better.
    Has something to do with the stock trigger or so i have read and been told. My shooting was just that I have not shot in years and I need more range time. But with all things you only get better the more times you do it. The pistol it's self is fine other forum members who have been shooting longer then I with handguns do just fine. Our state police carry the M&P 45 and they love it. I have been told that the stock trigger pull of a M&P( 5 pounds) is more then the loaded weight of the gun ( 2 pounds) and that has something to do with it not really sure. As I have said many times before I'm a long gun man my self and handguns are new to me you don't just jump on a bike and know how to ride it takes time. As for sigs they are great guns (over priced but great guns) they are made in our state and i could pick one up at a discounted price but don't want one. I could also drive down to the sigarms academy (also in our state) but don't feel like it. I feel more then ok about defending my self with it at 5 to 10 yards most of the shots are inside the nine ring. If you feel the need to bash me because my grouping is not as good as yours go for it what ever helps you sleep at night.

6. M&P, slow down, Im not "bashing" you at all. But I will be honest and tell you that the groups you displayed are not to be praised for self defense shooting especially at 10 yards. I said I did worse grouping than yours with the same gun. I know the Smith is a fine weapon. But it has some quirks as to accuracy IMO. In no way did I mean to imply my gun or groups were better than yours. Seeing that no one else is replying to your thread, I thought that maybe a bump might get some M&P shooters in here to enlighten us all on this SW platform M&P. Now I would apoligize if I had done as you intended I have, but really!? All I said was that I and you for the moment cant group well enough for safe and reliable self defense. It was a teachable moment, an observation. If you miss your target[s] bad things can happen. BG may not miss while you are and freindlies down range may get direct or ricochet bullet holes in them. Self defense with a hangun is not an easy business. Shot placement is everything. Only hits count. I was disapointed in myself for not being able to group better with the M&P but as I said the first time. I accepted it and moved to another platform. Not all guns are the same for all people. Again I wish you luck with your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    M&P, slow down, Im not "bashing" you at all. But I will be honest and tell you that the groups you displayed are not to be praised for self defense shooting especially at 10 yards. I said I did worse grouping than yours with the same gun. I know the Smith is a fine weapon. But it has some quirks as to accuracy IMO. In no way did I mean to imply my gun or groups were better than yours. Seeing that no one else is replying to your thread, I thought that maybe a bump might get some M&P shooters in here to enlighten us all on this SW platform M&P. Now I would apoligize if I had done as you intended I have, but really!? All I said was that I and you for the moment cant group well enough for safe and reliable self defense. It was a teachable moment, an observation. If you miss your target[s] bad things can happen. BG may not miss while you are and freindlies down range may get direct or ricochet bullet holes in them. Self defense with a hangun is not an easy business. Shot placement is everything. Only hits count. I was disapointed in myself for not being able to group better with the M&P but as I said the first time. I accepted it and moved to another platform. Not all guns are the same for all people. Again I wish you luck with your gun.
    I was in no part aiming the whole post at your replay. It was just a broad statement " if you fell you need to bash my grouping then go for it" It was not solely aimed at you or any one person. But this forum does have arm chair commandos on it who like to talk about how they can do better. I have no doubt a lot of people can shoot better then me I'll be the first to come right out and call my self a handgun noobie. But keep in mind the targets shown are about three mags of shooting. I found I could get the first mag ( 15 rounds ) on target and then my arm would start to hurt and the following mags ( as shown) would not be as good. But I found that by the end of the two and half hours it took to shoot 600 rounds my arm no longer hurt from being extended and supporting the gun. As for my groups being praised I'll be the first to tell you no they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    I was in no part aiming the whole post at your replay. It was just a broad statement " if you fell you need to bash my grouping then go for it" It was not solely aimed at you or any one person. But this forum does have arm chair commandos on it who like to talk about how they can do better. I have no doubt a lot of people can shoot better then me I'll be the first to come right out and call my self a handgun noobie. But keep in mind the targets shown are about three mags of shooting. I found I could get the first mag ( 15 rounds ) on target and then my arm would start to hurt and the following mags ( as shown) would not be as good. But I found that by the end of the two and half hours it took to shoot 600 rounds my arm no longer hurt from being extended and supporting the gun. As for my groups being praised I'll be the first to tell you no they are not.
    S&WM&P40, nobody was bashing you, or your groups. Calm down.

Going out tomorrow for a Defensive Handgun 1 course. Haven't decided to use the Sig 239 (normal CC weapon) or the S&W M&P full size. Both are .40 S&W. Will let everyone know Thursday. (Expect to shoot 300 - 400 rounds)

I shot one at S&W and had trouble hitting target as planned. Might have been me but didn't come away wanting one.
    My daughter shot her Bf's M&P .40 this past weekend and said she loved it. She thinks it is on par with my Glock 17. (She is a novice to be fair.)
    Chief Engineer >>> This weekend Sig rep was at my range and I got to shoot the "Blackwater" in 9mm. (they are discontinuing the Blackwater, saving fees I guess)
    I believe it is a 229 frame (correct me). The rep told me that gun is being replaced by the "Tac Op" and will come in .40 and not just 9mm. I will check it out again. Pricey but sweet.
    Infidel >> Don't be soo touchy. "Can't we all just get along?"

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    I shot one at S&W and had trouble hitting target as planned. Might have been me but didn't come away wanting one.
    My daughter shot her Bf's M&P .40 this past weekend and said she loved it. She thinks it is on par with my Glock 17. (She is a novice to be fair.)
    Chief Engineer >>> This weekend Sig rep was at my range and I got to shoot the "Blackwater" in 9mm. (they are discontinuing the Blackwater, saving fees I guess)
    I believe it is a 229 frame (correct me). The rep told me that gun is being replaced by the "Tac Op" and will come in .40 and not just 9mm. I will check it out again. Pricey but sweet.
    Infidel >> Don't be soo touchy. "Can't we all just get along?"
    LOL why do you think I'm touchy? I'm the one saying my own shooting sucked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast