Glock question!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock question!!!

This is very common, not only on Glocks but on a few other pistols as well.

I used to be the rangemaster on my job, we have 320-ish shooters here. I saw the spontanious slide forward thing all the time. It's only an issue for folks who want to sit there and slap on the bottom of the mag trying to make the slide go forward when it doesn't all by itself. A training issue this is.

So, I tried it with my own Glock. Same results. But it took an awful lot of force to get it to do it. FAR more than I would use to seat a fresh mag.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

lol... The Glock a "gangsta" gun??? Nah, gangsta's can't afford Glocks... If they happen to get their hands on one it is almost always stolen. The handguns of choice for gangsta's are as follows; Hi-Point 9mm, inexpensive and usually purchased through "straw buyers". Sometimes referred to as a Glocks by the gangsta's. Then there is the Jimenez, (very inexpensive) also purchased through straw buyers. Then there is the used (iusually stolen) Taurus .38 Special revolver. For most gangsta's it is the "Ring of Fire" guns, (Saturday night specials) or junk guns that end up on the streets. My information comes from experience in law enforcement.

5. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    So, I tried it with my own Glock. Same results. But it took an awful lot of force to get it to do it. FAR more than I would use to seat a fresh mag.
    I tried it yesterday too. It did take a lot of force and a hard hit to get the slide to release. Quite honestly I don't want to insert the magazine that hard and fast on a regular basis. I'm sure some guns will be a little more sensative, but there's no need to cram them that hard. My nickels worth since two cents won't go very far.

Jason
    Jason
    Michigan

6. Thanks to everyone for their input. I've used other weapon systems that were very sensitive and even a moderately hard mag insert caused the slide to go forward. I'd prefer to speed load in that manner, but its just not happening on a Glock. Guess i'll stick with speed load>pull slide back>go....
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPirate View Post
    Oh man, I sure hope that's a joke. There's a reason 1911's have been beloved for almost 100 years. While I'll admit there's a chance that some of them are pieces of junk I will attribute that to the numerous manufacturers out there, not the design itself. I've owned a number of 1911's and have never had any large issue's with any of them. I've never had a misfire with any of my Kimber's I can not attribute to the ammo itself. I have a Colt from 1922 that I would use for concealed carry without any concern of reliability, if it wasn't so bulky (and I didn't have my sweet sweet Kimber's). The 1911 will be here long after the Glock has been forgotten about.

I wouldn't call Glock's unreliable either, there's a reason they're as popular as they are. However with any firearm, or any device that get's exponentially more complicated you're going to have more issues with them. For instance I don't think anyone could fathom uncontrollable acceleration in car's back in the 1960's. Sure cars had issues, but they were by and large much simpler to diagnose and fix.
    I like both but I will not give the 1911 godlike status either. The worst functioning gun I ever owned was a Series 80 Gold Cup Colt. It was made so tight that it couldn't get through a magazine without a malfunction. Three trips to Colt and it was still a loser. I had two 1911's fail me in Vietnam, but that wasn't due to the design, it was due to the fact that they were WWII issue and old and tired. Any model or make of gun can come with individual problems. You just have to work with them until they are ok or get rid of them.

If it were a gangsta gun it would have sights on the side of the barrel.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

There is nothing of any concern...

The GLOCKS can and will do this... It is not a "feature" that was built into the gun, just simply something that just happens...

It happens "usually" with a full mag, and when doing combat re-loads...

It has a lot to do with the inertia of the mag being inserted into the magwell, and the weight of the magazine also adds to the force...

You have to slam it pretty hard to get it to happen with an near empty mag...

I just roll with it... if it does it, GREAT, one less step for me to get back on target... If not, rack and back on track...

I have been a member of a GLOCK Based forum since JAN 2004, and we have discussed this at length a few times with the same conclusion...
    " I carry a gun because cops are too heavy" ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    lol... The Glock a "gangsta" gun??? Nah, gangsta's can't afford Glocks... If they happen to get their hands on one it is almost always stolen. The handguns of choice for gangsta's are as follows; Hi-Point 9mm, inexpensive and usually purchased through "straw buyers". Sometimes referred to as a Glocks by the gangsta's. Then there is the Jimenez, (very inexpensive) also purchased through straw buyers. Then there is the used (iusually stolen) Taurus .38 Special revolver. For most gangsta's it is the "Ring of Fire" guns, (Saturday night specials) or junk guns that end up on the streets. My information comes from experience in law enforcement.
    ************************************************** *********************************
    Absolutely true in more than most cases. Your quality handguns found on your average lowlife is going to be stolen. They deal however in your bargain guns. hi-points ... many tauras's etc.
    BTW ,glocks are found in the holsters of 65% of the LEO's in the US. I believe the number is actually higher.
    I carry a G 21 for business and two G 30's after hours. One of the G 30's is a BU for the 21.
    Years of service with "never" a failure. Clean or fouled. The glock 30 is such a great platform it feels very much like 9mm's kick. I also never had my slide slam into battery with a mag insertion. I have heard of such but am uninterested in the action being possible . The glock has gained more following and fan base in 25 years than the 100+ year old , complicated 1911 browning technology which is not fully reliable without expert tweeking. It's just all that was available all those years. 1911's are nicely styled though. Glock is also just as copied (with no luck) as the 1911. I'll stick with a 100% oem glock. All i add are +0 ext's.
    Love my glocks and would and have reached for one before any sig or h&k i own.
    You would never catch me trusting my life to a kimber or any 1911. J m o ... just the choice i make.
    Yeah , i know the" barrel" in my user name is incorrectly spelled btw.
    Every brand has it's problems but kb's specificlly are almost always caused by ammo. I stay away from grip hole plugs to. I tend to feel apprehensive they might be sealing up the gun to much ,which makes for kb's imo. I have to believe gaston put that grip hole there for a reason. Please excuse my long post.
    NEVER FORGET 9*11*01

Hope he was kidding

I am like you when you said you hoped he was kidding. But, he probably wasn't, just a glock dis-liker I would say. I base that on the fact that I own three Glocks, Models 27, 30, and 32. I do not recall but one stovepipe in the many thousands of rounds fired, and, I HONESTLY believe that was on purpose. You are probably wondering what I am talking about when I say "probably on purpose", well I was not the one firing the pistol. A friend of mine who is also a Glock dis-liker was doing his best to make it malfuntion and I am sure that he was limp-wristing purposely to prove a point to me. Because I was watching him and I told him, "next time don't hold it like a 12 year old girl shooting for the first time and it will do just fine" He then proceeded to hold and fire like a normal person with shooting experience and he had no problems after that. Oh, and this is a little off topic, but, I just wanted to say it is nice to read, up to this point, people actually referring to a magazine (which knowledgable shooters know) is the correct term and not "CLIP". I am sorry, but that is one of my pet-peeves, I always try to correct people, nicely of course, that it is a magazine and not a "clip". They are two totally different items.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123