Glock question!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock question!!!

1. Glock question!!!

So, sometimes when reloading from slide lock IE: I just fired and emptied one magazine, I go to reload and sometimes the slide goes forward on its own.

I've been able to replicate this at home using dummy ammo but only if I really hit the magazine hard. I know some firearms were designed to do this, is glock one of them? Similar to the 'HK Slap".

If it is a design feature, how is it supposed to be utilized? If its not - what's the problem, i'd assume a new slide stop lever...

I just want to train consistently and "slapping" the magazine in and having the slide close is great, but only if I can do it 95% of the time....

If it matters- Glock 3rd gen 17
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Does it do this with every mag you have? I seem to recall I had that same problem with my G27 but it would only do this with one mag. I have replaced the mag and the problem went away. It was one of the original mags that came with the pistol. Hope this helps.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

I had my 3rd generation G 19 do this a few times. Upon close examination, there was damage to the follower on the magazine. Upon changing the follower, problem solved. My recommendation would be to check your mags. If you haven't done so already, mark all of your mags so you can tell them apart.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

5. Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm leaning towards the possibility that its not an 'issue' but intended to do so.

I think that because it happens on 4 magazines including a brand new never used never opened until now original glock magazine.

It also happens on a Glock 26 on 3 different magazines, and a Glock 19 tested on one mag.

I've made a little video showing what I'm talking about. It was on a cell phone so I didn't have enough time to show it on all 4 magazines. I was using dummy ammo which is incapable of firing for this demo, and was pointed in a safe direction.

NOTE: I was NOT putting my finger on the trigger. I move my finger lower on the frame to have a better grip when pulling the slide back. I guess I need more leverage due to my stubby hands.....

sorry for the bad quality :(

YouTube- Glock loading
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

6. A friend of mine has a G22 that does this. I would consider it a "feature" rather than a defect.

I have noticed that on my 19, the slide stop lever is much harder to disengage when there is no mag in it. I noticed this while practicing one handed drills. I usually pull the slide back to release the stop, but noticed that when there is a mag in place the slide stop requires MUCH less effort to release. It seems that when a mag is inserted with the slide open, the slide stop moves a slight amount to the side and this affects its engagement, mine has never closed by itself though.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm leaning towards the possibility that its not an 'issue' but intended to do so.
    Why would your Glock be different than every other Glock out there?

From the Glock Manual:

LOADING AND FIRING

1. The magazine is filled by each individual round being pushed into the magazine from the front,
    with the base of the round being pressed down first against the pressure of the magazine
    spring. If using the factory supplied loading support, slip support over the magazine and place
    magazine on a solid surface. Hold loading support firmly and place thumb on top of loading
    device: Press down loading device against tension of magazine spring and, while keeping
    support down, insert a round as far as possible. While pressing round downwards, slide support
    upwards (release magazine spring) and the round will slide into its rest. Repeat operation for
    subsequent rounds.

2. Introduce or insert the magazine into the magazine shaft until the magazine catch engages fully.

3. Pull back the slide with free hand, and allow it to spring forwards into the final position. The
    trigger finger of the shooting hand remains outside the trigger guard. The weapon is now
    secured and ready to fire.

4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from
    the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push
    the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it
    to spring forwards.
    The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.

9. I've seen this before on this forum ot the Glock Talk Forum. If you insert the magazing fast and hard the release can in fact release the slide. The only think holding the slide back is friction. Even having some oil on the release can make it more sensative.

Jason
    Jason
    Michigan

10. Best be careful with them glocks, boy. Some blow up, some accidental discharge, some don't fire. Take my advice and get rid of the gangsta gun and get yourself a 1911.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    Best be careful with them glocks, boy. Some blow up, some accidental discharge, some don't fire. Take my advice and get rid of the gangsta gun and get yourself a 1911.
    lol I assume you're joking.

I've had a 1911 and I really loved it, other than the fact that I couldn't fire more than 50 rounds without some sort of malfunction. My glock on the other hand with 10k+ rounds has never blown up, never "accidentally" discharged, and has never failed to fire. My fiancee had a stove pipe once while shooting it, but I attributed that to her limp wristing as a new shooter...if 1911's were as reliable as a Glock I would definitely carry one, but for me this G17 does just fine. :-D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast