Fully automatic Submachineguns should be reinstated in America
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fully automatic Submachineguns should be reinstated in America

1. Question Fully automatic Submachineguns should be reinstated in America

I submit to you all America must allow its citizens the right to purchase fully automatic assault weapons.
    America is at war. The terrorist all have fully automatica AK47 assault rifles, so should law abiding American citizens.!

3. You want America to allow you a right you already have (assuming you're not a felon)?

I believe he's referring to the fact that you can't own one is many states. Second, you have to file for a specific and seperate firearms license to own one.

Lastly, the full auto versions cost insane amounts of money in comparison to the semi-auto version here in the US. A $400 full-auto AK-47 sold around the world could be $2000 or more depending on where you are in the US.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Booga View Post
    you have to file for a specific and seperate firearms license to own one.
    You have to file paperwork, wait your time and pay the tax, but you don't receive a "license".

It is true that some states bar ownership, but that's not "AMERICA", that's those specific states. "America" allows it.

I do agree that only pre 1986 weapons can be purchased is BS... That's why the price is so fricken high.

You know, I really have no issue with having to wait and file paper work to own an automatic weapon. There's very little reason to own one, for home defense they won't beat out a shotgun and they're rather impractical for carrying around the city. I've had a few friends in law enforcement, and I've had the chance to shoot some automatic weapons and they are a ton of fun to shoot. But seeing as how most ranges bar their use I haven't had any desire to jump through the hoops to pick one up. So short of a zombie invasion there's not much reason to own one other than the joy of shooting and to take full advantage of your second amendment rights. Seeing as how there's no immediate need for owning one, I fail to see the problem with filling out the paperwork and playing the waiting game to own one.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

How effective is a fully automatica AK47 assault rifle against an envelope containing anthrax? The terrorists will get you to open it by using a return address of "fully automatica AK47 assault rifles licensing division"

8. I'm all for our rights, and own many guns. I don't think owning a full auto is a right. I think someone who is not properly trained, experianced or trying to use it at the wrong place is dangerous to everyone around them which will cause the rest of use to have to defend our rights to bear arms even more. I know I'll open a can of worms and so be it.

Jason
    Jason
    Michigan

BigBad, I'm with you up to a point.
    People cannot get training or experience if they can't get access to this type of equipment. There will be a transitional period as more people get training. That is expected. I still agree with the OP here that it would be nice if full-auto guns were available to those who wish to have them.

There are many other reasons for full-auto ownership that I won't go into here, but the OP mentions terrorism. In India there was an attack on a hotel known for housing Americans. The attackers had full-auto rifles. The general public had nothing but sticks and rocks. The police response was underwhelming...

If the populace is armed appropriately, then they can respond to that sort of thing before it reaches such astonishing levels of horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Submachine View Post
    I submit to you all America must allow its citizens the right to purchase fully automatic assault weapons.
    America is at war. The terrorist all have fully automatica AK47 assault rifles, so should law abiding American citizens.!
    That would be the logical deduction from the 1939 Miller v US SC decision.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

There are quite a few places where you can try out fully automatic weapons. While the focus is more on the fun of shooting them and not learning how to properly handle them. There are courses that teach you how to handle and fire long guns, and automatic weapons differ very little, other than learning that holding the trigger down decreases accuracy to the point where the weapon is ineffective. So you'll want to use short controlled bursts to maintain accuracy and safety.

Your anecdote about India doesn't provide any mention of why the citizens should have been armed with fully automatic rifles? If they had been armed in any sort of manner they would have had a much better chance than using stones and sticks. And not to be rude, or uncaring but problems in other countries can not be tried to form America. If that was the case one could use the argument that the UK restricts firearm ownership severely. Why wouldn't we? (I'm not making that argument, look at their murder rates and you'll see there's no correlation between legal gun ownership and homicide rate).

I would also like to point out that illegal guns in this country largely come from stolen legally bought weapons. If fully automatic weapons were as prevalent in legal owners hands then so would thugs with full auto weapons. Despite the movies, tv shows and special interest pieces saying other wise, criminals with full auto weapons are still relatively rare. The most confiscated and popular weapons with criminals are .38 revolvers and small caliber semi-auto pistols.

And I would also like to reiterate, there is nothing stopping you from owning a fully automatic weapon. There are certainly restrictions, but nothing in the federal law prohibiting you from owning one. With the proper paper work and taxes anyone who doesn't have state or county restrictions can own one in this country. So the argument that they are not available is slightly misinformed.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast