Why do Black Members of Congress almost unanimously support abortion and gun control?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do Black Members of Congress almost unanimously support abortion and gun control?

Why do Black Members of Congress almost unanimously support abortion and gun control?

Honestly, I hope this thread does not get deleted due to its sensitive nature. This was a topic I brought up once on PDO and it generated well over 50 responses. However, that was 3 years ago, and since then, congressional membership has changed.

I realize that the subject of Black Congress members and their general lack of support for gun rights is a taboo subject, so I figured that I, being a Black man, would be a good person to bring it up.

Whether most of you have ever been willing to discuss it or not, many of you probably already realize that Black members of Congress (43 in the 110th Congress, which includes nonvoting members Donna Christian-Christensen of the Virgin Islands and Eleanor Holmes Norton of Washington, D.C.) are overwhelmingly anti-gun and pro-abortion. I wanted to get an idea of just how much so, so I did a little research on all 43 members and here are my findings:

-no information was available for Donna Christian-Christensen (D-Virgin Islands) and Eleanor Holmes-Norton due to the fact that they are non voting members.

-no information was available for Yvette Clark (D-NY), Hank Johnson(D-GA), and Laura Richardson (D-CA), due to the fact that they all have only been in Congress since 2007.

-out of the other 38, 30 (79%) were solidly pro abortion and anti gun (all of these members had voting records of 80% or higher on legislation favored by pro choice groups as well as grades of D or lower by the NRA and GOA).

-Sanford Bishop of Georgia was the only one to get a grade of A by the NRA. Artur Davis (D-AL), despite supporting the AWB, received a lifetime grade of B, and Bennie Thompson (D-MS), whose gun record is mixed, has improved from a grade of F in 2002 to a grade of B in 2006.

What do you make of this information? Personally, I find it disturbing that these members of Congress, who claim to be defenders of civil rights, can support gun control in such large numbers, yet support abortion on demand, which kills far more Black babies every year than guns do.

Furthermore, virtually all Black members of Congress represent predominantly urban districts, which are places where support for gun rights tends to be a losing position, regardless of the person's race.

Your thoughts?

Well Sir I am a white older man that has been asking that question for years. The black friends I have believe as I do on guns but disagree on adortion. I think lack of true freedom education is part of the problem.Free men own guns slaves don't.How many of us choise to be slaves to our government?

I've always wondered if Blacks embraced liberal positions because of the strong support that Liberals gave to the Civil Rights movement during the '50s and '60s.

Just a thought

I couldn't have something to do with the fact that they are mostly Democrats and embrace the Democrat ideal could it.

echo_5 Guest

Arrow

This is, indeed, an intriguing and sensitive subject. Anytime blanket statements are made about a group of people- be prepared for extreme emotions and opinions from all sides. I don't know why or even if this is true although I will trust your research (you've done more than me). Understanding that the question pertains to members of congress and not all black people, here's one opinion: Black Americans have historically alligned themselves with the Democratic party, especially during the civil rights movement. We all know that the dems are anti-gun and pro-choice. All dems must conform due to the fact that we have a two party system. Success among third party candidates is rare and usually is the result of a popular incumbent losing their party's primary and running as an independent. Republican ideals like self-reliance and personal responsibility are possible because white people never had to fight racial prejudice to have an equal opportunity. -my $.02

P.S.
    On a lighter note: tattedupboy, can black people get colored tattoos?
    Last edited by echo_5; 01-14-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: added a light-hearted P.S.

My theory on Black support for gun control goes much deeper than simply being almost monolithically Democratic. Most Blacks reside in urban areas, which is also where crime tends to be concentrated; I ought to know, I reside in Gary, Indiana, a town which, despite having only about 97,000 residents, had 71 homicides in 2007 (which might not seem like much compared to New York's 492, but when you compare the homicide rates for the two cities, Gary's is .73 per 1,000 residents while New York's is .062 per 1,000 residents; Gary's is 11 times higher than New York's). In many urban areas around the country, particularly the slums in which Blacks tend to reside, drugs and gangs tend to run rampant, and so does crime. Because many urban residents see gangbangers, many of whom are heavily armed, on a daily basis, they have come to develop a fear of guns, and as a result, shun any politician who promotes gun rights. That is why gun grabbers, regardless of their race, tend to do well in urban areas.

+ 3 on "it's just what liberals do!

My guess would be a large part due to the urban raising that was mentioned. I think a large part of the urban population, regardless of race, are of this opinion. Perhaps it is how they are raised. They probably never had a chance to go hunting with their dads or brothers. Perhaps never even handled a gun. Education is the key. If I had never touched a gun and always been taught how evil they were and how they kill people I might feel different.

All this time Tattedupboy and I never even noticed you were black :D
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Quote Originally Posted by rt48 View Post
    I've always wondered if Blacks embraced liberal positions because of the strong support that Liberals gave to the Civil Rights movement during the '50s and '60s.
    Funny thing is, the majority of Democrats voted AGAINST it (Al Gore's daddy, for one).

Talk about misplaced values...
    www.tngunowners.com

-molonlabetn

11. I will offer an OPINION, however I am in no way qualified to speak on behalf of this demographic as I am a white middle-aged man.

I think it has to do with the culture in which one is raised. In my own case I grew up on a farm in the North West. We had guns and we used them, we went hunting used them to control predators such as Coyotes and rodents etc. It was just another tool for doing a certain job. A powerfull tool and you had to be careful using it just like using a chainsaw. But it was only a tool not sinister symble of crime or something I would associate with crime anymore than a car would be associated with drunk driving. That may be the case here as the only ones seen using such a object are either criminals or the police.
    ["Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
    - Ben Franklin
    FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast