Ionia kindergartner suspended for making gun with hand - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ionia kindergartner suspended for making gun with hand

I am very seriously considering home schooling. for a variety of reasons. Bull s*&t teaching curriculum, school administrators, school boards, and some teachers. We very seriously considered driving our kids to a different school distric this year. to keep this part short, the night of new student/parent orientation, the principal laid out the basic rules parents visiting the school, protocals, PTA rules. The majority of the night was "Don't do this", "you can't...". Our previous school had a great PTA. Teachers and parents emailed and Facebooked. Everyone knew everyone. the new school, non of that. Facebooking between parents and teachers is prohibited. If we are volunteering at the school, helping teachers, school programs, etc, we are not allowed to interact with teachers, students, even our own. We didn't join the PTA for that reason. My 8yr old had a school program two weeks ago, and the music teacher began the program by telling parents that we were not allowed to take pictures, wave, cheer, anything, during the program. I just about walked out and took my daughter with me.
    School policies, boards, etc, have gotten rediculous.

I know I'm going to get my kids in trouble some day, but I am teaching them to defend them selves. I'm not going to allow them to get bullied or beat up. Go tell a teacher or the principal, but don't stand there and take a beating. Which is what's being taught by our illustrious school system.

Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
    ... Kids were taught to be responsible in the past...
    That pretty much says it all. My mom has been a teacher for almost 40 years, and that sums up her biggest complaints. There's no accountability anymore.

This whole school giving themselves more power then they are allowed is a VERY sore subject for me. I have a kid in highschool, middle school and elementry school right now. I at least once a year I have to go to the office and re educate them on what is going to happen with my boys over different subjects from dicipline to stolen property(my kids agenda stolen). On every occasion I tell them the way its going to be and so far they have all reluctantly agreed. The stolen agenda was a required item to bring to every class. The gym lockers were not big enough to hold them so they left them on a table where it was taken the last day before christmas break and the remainder of his subjects all had projects to be turned in that day. When he told me he had to do all his papers again over the Christmas holiday I hauled it down to the school before they closed the office. The principle said if he didn't redo them he would get zeros on all his papers then I let into him about the schools responsibilities of providing security for a required items and the I expected him to have new lockers when they get back for the break if not then he WILL tell all his teachers that my son is going to enjoy the holiday and that he will be given 2 weeks after they get back to work on his papers. He stood there for a few seconds shock his head and said yes sir. I looked down at my son right infront of him and said that is the proper way to take care of problems that are out of your control you put the real blame where is belongs. He looked up at me and smiled shaking his head. Thats just one of my many examples of schools thinking that what they say goes. I don't let them walk on my kids at all from the smallest things. Thank God I have good boys who do well in school.

The second run in with a principle had to do with a cell phone the day after a lady got arrested for trying to bring a gun into the school. My son had his phone taken away from him by a teacher for forgetting to turn it off and it rang. ( I was the one who sent him a text about doing something for me after school, Ooops) They wanted to suspend him but I did what I do and started questioning the principle over what the shcool did after the gun incident the day before, He said "well we let the kids call home for 15 minutes to keep the parents for worring when it was plastered on the news live". Which my response was what happened to the no cell phone policy? tap dancing on his part. Them my response was what would have happened if the teacher in the previous class took his phone what would have happened? tap dancing again, finally he realized they have no ground to stand on and my son got his phone back and went to class.
    FYI,the gun never made it out of the parking lot, the school resource officer(county sheriff/DARE officer) thought she was acting weird and confronted her at her car and disarmed her right away. In case your wondering.

Next time you have an issue look at it long and hard and if you can throw it logically back into their face do it and watch them implode.

5. And this crap isn't new. My son (now 20) was the subject of an attempted suspension in the 3rd grade - for drawing a picture that included spears and arrows. They tried to suspend him! WE marched down to that school and told them to call our attorney with any further talk about suspension, that we wouldn't tolerate it, that he was only 8, that he didn't make or bring an actual weapon and their reaction was illogical, idiotic, and made them look like simpering fools. Of course they backed down.

Then we had the difficult task of explaining to our 8 year-old why it was perfectly okay to shoot his bow in the backyard with Dad, draw whatever he wanted at home, but at school he could only draw flowers and sunsets or some such crap. He got it, but came away understanding that many people are afraid of what they don't understand. Probably not a bad lesson, come to think of it.

Oh, and i'd like to add: there is no mutual exclusivity between being a fearful, cowering, zero-tolerance zealot, and being a darned good teacher. Like anyone else, they can be very good at their profession and hold really wierd ideas personally. It's where the two converge that the problems exist. And people who go into teaching tend to be, not always, but tend to be nurturing nanny types whose altruism outweighs their realism.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

6. Our daughter was almost suspended and kicked off the school bus when she was in junior high. She was defending herself from the area bully. The bully was a minority student and was about 3 years behind in his education. The school was just trying to keep him in school. He was always in trouble and causing trouble. Our daughter had her new contact lenses and he decided it would be fun to tare open some salt packets and throw the salt in her face. After tow attempts and the bus driver not correcting him...our 5'-4, 100#, green eyed blond daughter slugged him in the face and bloodied his nose. They were both sent to the office and being suspended from school for fighting.

After I received a call from her, i spoke to the principal and had a long discussion about my next action if she was suspended over protecting herself from a big bully. I was ready to head down to the school admin building and start raising heck with the news media in tow. He called me back and said all was well and the bully was suspended.

I guess she was supposed to just take it to stay out of trouble. I have never been the one to just lie down and take it and have taught her the same principles.

Ken

. After tow attempts and the bus driver not correcting him...our 5'-4, 100#, green eyed blond daughter slugged him in the face and bloodied his nose.
    I guess she was supposed to just take it to stay out of trouble. I have never been the one to just lie down and take it and have taught her the same principles.

Ken
    Good for your daughter.
    The Most Important Thing That You Can Do In This Life, Is To Determine "WHERE" You Will "LIVE" In The Next Life.

Our daughter was almost suspended and kicked off the school bus when she was in junior high. She was defending herself from the area bully. The bully was a minority student and was about 3 years behind in his education. The school was just trying to keep him in school. He was always in trouble and causing trouble. Our daughter had her new contact lenses and he decided it would be fun to tare open some salt packets and throw the salt in her face. After tow attempts and the bus driver not correcting him...our 5'-4, 100#, green eyed blond daughter slugged him in the face and bloodied his nose. They were both sent to the office and being suspended from school for fighting.

After I received a call from her, i spoke to the principal and had a long discussion about my next action if she was suspended over protecting herself from a big bully. I was ready to head down to the school admin building and start raising heck with the news media in tow. He called me back and said all was well and the bully was suspended.

Ken
    Here in PRHI, you're not allowed to defend yourself. Anyone "actively participating" in a fight will get suspended. Back when I was in intermediate school, a bully grabbed me from behind. I pushed him away and ended up getting suspended along with him for "fighting". I was told that if attacked, students are should assume the "fetal position" and wait for security to break it up. Simply telling the aggressor to "bug off" would be considered as "participating" and will result in disciplinary action.

Gotta love it that your daughter was able to fend off "Baby Huey". I enjoy seeing a bully "get his".

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Here in PRHI, you're not allowed to defend yourself. Anyone "actively participating" in a fight will get suspended. Back when I was in intermediate school, a bully grabbed me from behind. I pushed him away and ended up getting suspended along with him for "fighting". I was told that if attacked, students are should assume the "fetal position" and wait for security to break it up. Simply telling the aggressor to "bug off" would be considered as "participating" and will result in disciplinary action.

Gotta love it that your daughter was able to fend off "Baby Huey". I enjoy seeing a bully "get his".

gf
    Sounds like every lawmaker and every school board should read A Nation of Cowards.

A Nation of Cowards
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I might be setting my kids up for some trouble by teaching them and telling them to defend themselves, but I'll take it up with the pricipal and the school board if and when it happens. I think we have the same "actively participating" BS in our area school "rules". I'd like to see what the pricipal or school board member would do if I started beating the crap out of one of them, male or female. Would they lay there and take it, as students are supposed to do, or defend them selves? What diciplinary action should be taken agianst them for actively participating?

I'm not raising my kids to take a beating waiting for some one to come help. As soon as we do that, we are setting them up for a life of getting walked on. I'm sure if it was a teacher or pricipals kids that tried to defend themselves, there would be some "extenuating circumstance" that would keep them from suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    First a Lego toy gun, now fingers. What will they think of next???

gf
    don't ask... please don't ask.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast