How do you store your ammo? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your ammo?

I keep my ammo in ammo boxes. Don't have desiccant service but put a light coat of petroleum jelly on the gasket about every six months or so to keep from drying out. 1 bx 7.62 NATO, the other a NAVY LAMPS Helo Flare ammo box. Forgot what MK number it is. I keep them in the closet, part of my BOB accessories. As for security, I'm not spending ten thousand dollars. It's all insured. They want it that bad, there's nothing I can do to stop them.......As long as I'm not home. BUT if I am, let their conscience be their guide, mine will be a 45.

Who is John Galt?

Great idea, but may create other problems. You would be better off placing the ammo into an old suitcase in your closet. Ideally, you would have a safe or at minimum a lock box to secure your ammo. I have two identical gun safes. One contains ammo, the other contains the firearms.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I currently have no safe of any sort. But in the near future I plan to build a vault-like door for one of the rooms in my basement, making the entire room a safe. Once that happens, I can really start working towards...

Any way, as far as ammo storage... like HK said, ammo cans with desiccant packets. Not only are they air tight, they stack well, and they can take a beating.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

this may be a really dumb question, but how much ammo for your guns should you really have? i have bout 4-5 hundred rounds.......... all high quality and are for personal defense not range ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    this may be a really dumb question, but how much ammo for your guns should you really have? i have bout 4-5 hundred rounds.......... all high quality and are for personal defense not range ammo.
    That is a matter of personal preference. I personally would say keep packing some away now and then, but then some people call me a hoarder.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Hey Y'all: Hey utimmer43--is that your room or Charlton Heston's room? Hey mappow---you sort of give up on the theft as if "whatever will be will be". Most house thefts are smash and grab, in and out real quick, if you see it grab it etc. At least my tactic, per my previous post, is to put the ammo in a case and find a location that is literally in eyesight but placed in a very mundane and utilitarian way. Sure they may throw around my pile of newspapers looking for what is underneath, but it sure is better than leaving the ammo in a case that is begging to be opened or an ammo box that is screaming to be opened. It dosen't take any longer for me to use my method than it does for you to use your method--why lose the ammo? Just sayin. Different strokes different folks.

For long term storage, I vacuum seal ammo with a Food Saver.

You can't beat Ammo cans! I've had ammo, powder and primers stored in some for over 25 years and never had a problem with any of it.

This is some of my ammo. I ran out of room on this rack a while back.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey utimmer43--is that your room or Charlton Heston's room?
    LOL, What I was saying is that will be my goal once I build my vault door.

Yeah, that is one of the pics that have been floating around claiming to have been Heston's basement. There are also a lot of "sources" discrediting that claim. Regardless, it is an impressive collection. An inspiration, if you will.

Looking at Red Hats storage racks now I know why there is an ammo shortage. I think we should all go over to his house for supplies. How many rounds do you think are there Red Hat?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast