Weapn Retention/Muscle Memory importance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapn Retention/Muscle Memory importance

1. Weapn Retention/Muscle Memory importance

While providing security at a rap concert in a town other than where I reside the night was going well. Considering the type of venue, the alcohol etc. we didn’t have many problems.

That changed about 1:40am when a fight between two males broke out. I deployed OC spray and was able to pry them apart. My partner ran out when he saw what was happening, and ent up fighting with an unknown male, for an unknown reason. My partner deployed OC and accidentally sprayed me as well.
    I backed myself against a wall and pulled my duty weapon from its holster and yelled at the crowd that formed to “stay back”. I regained almost normal vision after wiping my eyes. When I could see again I saw my partner in a physical confrontation with an unknown Hispanic male, I ran over to assist and was able to lock the person’s arms and was pushing him down to restrain him.

At this time another male struck me on the right cheek, I was struck again by another person from the left, and yet again on the forehead. I felt myself going down, and put my hand over my firearm for retention. When on the ground I was punched, and kicked several more times.

I was committed, I was going to shoot someone, I knew I was pushing my limits, and felt people pulling on my firearm. I believed that if I pulled my weapon out it would be taken from me. Shortly after realizing this I felt what must have been 20 kicks/punches all over and finally was knocked out.

I came to holding my weapon as tight as I could with a Police Officer standing over me asking if I was OK. I asked where my partner was, and was told he was OK. I limped over to an ambulance and was transported to a hospital.

I was treated at the hospital – 11 stitches, a broken sinus, black eye, knots/lumps all over my head, and a sprained ankle.

Don’t get me wrong – I got sh!t stomped pretty good, but without the training I’ve had I’m sure I would have been worse. One of the cops who responded said when he got there I had 10-15 people on top of me.

He said “You know you were authorized to use deadly force in this, right?” I told him I knew I could have, and was going to but was sure my weapon would have been taken from me, he agreed – said I did the right thing, shook my hand and left. Another officer took the report, pictures, etc.

The reason I’m posting this is because weapon retention is extremely important. It was ingrained in me to hold on to my gun for dear life, and that’s what I did.

Muscle memory and consistent training is also important, I was able to use OC spray, firearm, handcuffs, and hold on to all of them and had without thinking put each item back in its belt carrier.
    Again, I got the hell kicked out of me, but without training I’m sure I’d either still be in the hospital or dead.
    I’ll put a link to the PD’s report when I get it, this happened Fri night so I should have it this week.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Exclamation NICE SHINER! dude!!!!!!

I know that hurt but they did not get your gun and you are still alive.
    THAT MY FRIEND IS A WIN WIN SITUATION!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Ouch!! Thanks for the info, and for driving home that point. Luckily for you, good judgement kicked in. I hope that if I'm ever in that position, or something similar, I can do the same thing. Thanks again, and here's to a speedy recovery!!

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    I know that hurt but they did not get your gun and you are still alive.
    THAT MY FRIEND IS A WIN WIN SITUATION!
    Amen to that. Glad you're still with us, CST.

You aren't paid enough.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

7. I agree ;) avidshooter
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

There are 4 very good comments here CST...

Glad your ok!

But Festus is right.... Nice Shinner....
    Semper Fi

glad your ok bro. keep up the good fight! speedy recovery and thank you for your service!

Well... (C)Rap show... Gotta expect that... Anyway I'll stay away from that path.

I have to say God had you in his hand there. Not sure what you believe, but hey...

The guy that owns the gun shop where I get my gear is a State Police officer and tactical trainer. I was asking him about gun retention techniques for the spring sessions. I'll take this as a reminder message.

Get better and feel good that you made the right choices. I hope the police make arrests.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I backed myself against a wall and pulled my duty weapon from its holster and yelled at the crowd that formed to “stay back”. I regained almost normal vision after wiping my eyes....

so you pulled your weapon when you couldnt see?? If you dont mind me asking why?? I wasnt their dont know the situation just wondering what you were thinking when you did that just seem like that would be an easy oppurtunity to relieve you of your weapon. Just playing devils advocate here and hind sight is 20/20 but just a thought leave it in your holster and put your firing hand on the weapon to prevent anybody trying to take it out of your holster. Anyways good job on showing restraint and hope you get better soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast