CA nabs man with banned "assault rifle"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA nabs man with banned "assault rifle"

CA nabs man with banned "assault rifle"

Of course, he's a total dirtbag. But it's a bad law nonetheless.

Woodland man arrested on banned weapon charge - San Jose Mercury News

WOODLAND, Calif.A Northern California man was in custody after police said they found a banned assault weapon in his home.
    Guillermo Astran, 28, was taken into custody around 12:30 p.m. Saturday after a relative called police because of concerns about the safety of Astran's mother, according to Woodland police Sgt. Jason Brooks.

Officers had gone to the home Friday night after Astran's mother, Virginia Astran, 48, called police and told them she had been battered by her son, according to Brooks.

Because she left the home as officers questioned her son, police did not take the younger Astran into custody Friday because they were unable to establish a crime had taken place, said Brooks.

But when police returned after being called back to the home Saturday, they conducted a search and found an unregistered Russian-made SKS assault rifle, with a detachable 30-round capacity magazine, according to Brooks.

The weapon was loaded with 28 rounds of ammunition "including one round in the chamber," Brooks said.

The assault weapon was banned under California's Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

Astran was being held in Yolo County Jail on $25,000 bail on suspicion of possession of a banned assault weapon, resisting law enforcement officers and other charges.

Jail officials did not know if Astran had hired an attorney.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

It would be interest to see what happens with this prca man and his SKS if McDonald vs Chicago over turns Chicago's ban. Will this negate prca's AS Rifle ban?
    Semper Fi

Russian SKS is not banned in California -- but any SKS with a detachable magazine is. So, taking a legal SKS and adding an after-market detachable magazine of any capacity (less than or greater than 10) is illegal. Adding an aftermarket mag greater than 10 rounds would also be illegal even if were non-detachable.

CA laws can charitably be described as stupid.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I never considered the SKS as an "assult rife". The media sure likes to get things wrong don't they? Regarding the perp, he needs to spend a few days in general population, and be outed as a mother beater. I am sure an encounter with "bubba" and the other boys in the band will help him to see the error of his ways.

I love the whole "code of conduct" thing that the other dirtbags enforce in prison. Of course, it would be ok for any of them to beat his mother up.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

I'm SO glad I left California. I used to live in Agoura Hills, 11 miles from where this cat lived. California is turning into a communist country.

I bought this one below in Wyoming at a sporting goods store, no waiting period. I've shot it at a range next to a cop, he asked to use it, I let him, he had some fun with it and passed it back to me. And the round it fires makes an SKS look like a bb gun.

In California whenever they print an article about someone being found with a gun (oh my!), they usually say how many rounds they have. "He was carrying an arsenal of guns and 1000 rounds of ammo". Makes it sound like he wants to kill 1000 people. More likely, he and his buddy had three guns and wanted to spend the day shooting paper.

Here's my wife her third day out of California, making fine use of our shotgun "Li'l Debbie":

The plates are now happily on our shed:

Michael
    Right Arm of Wyoming - RKBA rock and roll.
    http://www.rightarmofwyoming.com

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I never considered the SKS as an "assult rife". The media sure likes to get things wrong don't they? .
    I'm sure this has been posted somewhere here before, but it's a good one:

That's the beauty of this country and the genius of our founders. Fifty laboratories to find out what works and what doesn't. Obviously everything CA is about does not work.
    Avidshooter (Texas)

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Fifty laboratories to find out what works and what doesn't. .
    I like that!

I call California a "failed social experiment."

MWD

Guh. I like how there's two sentences about him beating on his mother, and the rest of the article is about a semi-automatic rifle.

I don't get how California has messed up so bad. I'm for medicinal marijuana, if you're dying or have chronic pain (I myself fractured my L1 vertebrate, have daily nerve pain, wish I could smoke to relieve it) I quite frankly don't care what you take to make you feel better. However they've made it so easy for people to get medicinal marijuana out there it makes the whole premise look bad. So you've got people legally smoking a drug for "migraines" or "hang nails", but the minute you own a gun you're a hardened criminal.

I'd also like to bet the entire state would have a conniption if I brought one or my assault rifles into the state. Said rifle being a 1891 Mossin Nagant, it's a rapid fire bolt action weapon capable of inflicting untold damage. I've been told it has a fire rate upwards of 12,000 rounds per minute.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast