180 vs 160 Grain

Thread: 180 vs 160 Grain

1. 180 vs 160 Grain

What is the difference in fire power between 180 and 160 grain for a .40 cal Glock?? At the range where I shoot, they only have 180, but most people on the forum seem to use 160. Thanks

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    What is the difference in fire power between 180 and 160 grain for a .40 cal Glock?? At the range where I shoot, they only have 180, but most people on the forum seem to use 160. Thanks
    This chart may help to understand - bottom line is I have seen different opinions just as people have their favorite firearm.
    the rule of thumb is lighter slug, faster speed, and increased ft/lbs of impact. With today's bullets my choice is the 155g HP for the .40 - it goes around 1000+ fps and hits with 450+ ft/lbs as the chart says.
    Here is the link:
    .40 S&W Ammunition Performance Data

Hydrostatic Shock

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post

Many shooters feel that a faster & lighter bullet is more effective than a slower & heavier bullet. This debate surrounds the idea of "Hydrostatic Shock"

i have 135 g, 155g and 180g. i carry 155g federal hst in my fullsize and horandy critical defence in 165g in my subcompact. i like to stick between 155-165. i tend to stay away from 180g.

my .02 cents. hope it helps.

6. Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    This chart may help to understand - bottom line is I have seen different opinions just as people have their favorite firearm.
    the rule of thumb is lighter slug, faster speed, and increased ft/lbs of impact. With today's bullets my choice is the 155g HP for the .40 - it goes around 1000+ fps and hits with 450+ ft/lbs as the chart says.
    Here is the link:
    .40 S&W Ammunition Performance Data
    That was very helpful thanks!

7. Thanx to all of you. You have each increased my knowledge!

I just took a quick look at the chart. It appears as though the lighter bullet (160gr) generally has a deeper penetration than the heavier bullet.

I'm not sure how this would apply in real life situations but, I imagine that a full grown male bad guy doesn't have a 19" deep chest. I dont think a bullet with that kind of penetration power would be a good idea to use in a self defense scenario. I would hate for it to pass through the BG and hit some bystander behind. Especially in a home defense environment.

Unless I'm thinking of this the wrong way, I think the heavier bullet would be better for a self defense round. Even if the 180gr is only 900 fps, comparied to 1000 fps from the 160gr. I dont think a BG could out run either of them.

JSDinTexas Guest

Right Bullet for the Right Job

Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    I just took a quick look at the chart. It appears as though the lighter bullet (160gr) generally has a deeper penetration than the heavier bullet.

I'm not sure how this would apply in real life situations but, I imagine that a full grown male bad guy doesn't have a 19" deep chest. I dont think a bullet with that kind of penetration power would be a good idea to use in a self defense scenario. I would hate for it to pass through the BG and hit some bystander behind. Especially in a home defense environment.

Unless I'm thinking of this the wrong way, I think the heavier bullet would be better for a self defense round. Even if the 180gr is only 900 fps, comparied to 1000 fps from the 160gr. I dont think a BG could out run either of them.
    It is my consideration that if you go too light in the slug, you reduce some penetration power.
    In other words, shooting through a t-shirt is different from shooting through a coat, vest, flannel shirt and more. So I don't go too light and that's why I don't do 9mm at 115-125g but stick with the .40 at 155-165g, and that is for personnal protection. If I am going for the bear or moose, I go 10mm with 200g +P type stuff.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    Both are good!

180 grain is heavy and slow speed. 165 is light and fast speed. Is that make sense to you?
    NRA Life Member

Perceived or felt recoil is a factor of ejected weight. More weight, more felt recoil. Try them both and see if you can feel the difference. Also see if the lighter or heavier round affects your follow up shot time and placement at a given distance.

Just food for thought.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..