How Far - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Far

It's a Savage 340.

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    It's a Savage 340.
    Interesting. Another way, other then the T/C to fire pointy bullets in 30-30. Question, if you were going the bolt action route for deer, why not get a 308, or another short action rife?
    I enjoy the 30 30 in the winchester, or marlin lever action platform. Short brush gun. Notice I didn't say brush busting?

Now, I am sitting here wondering what legitimate reason I would have to leave the order on the 338 open
    ( except for just wanting one ) when I now have the 30-30.
    The joy of being an American is that "just wanting one" is reason enough.

"It is a lesson of history that it is ethically, morally, and philosophically impossible to have too many personal weapons, whether they be edged, impact or projectile." -- David W. Loeffler

I would "aim" for 50 yards or less in the planning stage. In the field I'd probably take the shot up to about 70-80 yards.

It would take a day of making sure I could hit small paper plates at 100 yards before I'd shoot that far. That is a heck of a long way when you are trying get a good clean kill and not just a hit.

6. Like suggested,,,try to see how well you can do at the range on say a 12" target. I think you will hit your limits at 100 yards.

Ken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12