How Far
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Far

How Far

I am curious what range you feel comfortable shooting at a deer with, say a 30-30 with open sights, for a clean kill. I am not talking about the distance at which you would sight your rifle for, but rather the distance you feel comfortable you would have a clean kill using the open sights. Let us also say the position you are using offers a good rest for the rifle either from a tree stand or on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 6010 View Post
    I am curious what range you feel comfortable shooting at a deer with, say a 30-30 with open sights, for a clean kill. I am not talking about the distance at which you would sight your rifle for, but rather the distance you feel comfortable you would have a clean kill using the open sights. Let us also say the position you are using offers a good rest for the rifle either from a tree stand or on the ground.
    open sights? less then 100 yards.

100 yards or less. I would intentionally hunt a site that presents closer shots, to preclude the temptation to take the long shot at a "Wallhanger"

Great question. I've purchased a Marlin lever action in 30-30 for that very reason, but have yet to use it. My initial response was 100yds, but then I went out and walked it off. You better make sure you're on the money at that distance with just open sights.

With my 30-30, I handload spitzer bullets as I have a bolt action, with an aperture sight, MY range is about 125 yards.

A general rule of thumb for any rifle is assume the kill zone of the game to be hunted, for deer about a six-inch circle, get a stack of paper plates of that size. At whatever range, within the energy level of the rifle cartridge combination (about 1,000 ft-lbs for deer) YOU can consistently keep a magazine full, at least five shots, off-hand on that plate is YOUR range with that combination. For the 30-30 with round nose or flat point bullets that is a maximum of 150 yards, with the Leverevolution load from Hornady the energy lets it stretch up to 200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    With my 30-30, I handload spitzer bullets as I have a bolt action, with an aperture sight, MY range is about 125 yards.

A general rule of thumb for any rifle is assume the kill zone of the game to be hunted, for deer about a six-inch circle, get a stack of paper plates of that size. At whatever range, within the energy level of the rifle cartridge combination (about 1,000 ft-lbs for deer) YOU can consistently keep a magazine full, at least five shots, off-hand on that plate is YOUR range with that combination. For the 30-30 with round nose or flat point bullets that is a maximum of 150 yards, with the Leverevolution load from Hornady the energy lets it stretch up to 200 yards.
    What kinda of rifle gun u got there thats 30-30 in bolt action?

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post

I try to stay under 100 yds! Too many factors to consider with open sights...like my eyes!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I have a Winchester Model 94 30-30 and a Savage Model 99E 300. I use these all the time for hunting Whitetail in the Adirondacks. If you have good eye vision open sites, 100 yards

Thanks for the input. What prompted the question was this. I have been reading about the 338 Marlin Express, and decided that I needed one. I have several bolt rifles and several autos in 30-06 and 243 caliber. I had a 336 Marlin years ago that I traded in a gun deal and have regretted getting rid of it the day after the deal.

I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to order the 338. Well, it turns out all the distributors in the state are out of the 338 and after calling Marlin they canít tell me when the next production run will be. A few days ago I was in a sporting goods store and saw a good price on a 336
    30-30. My wife was with me and told me if I wanted it to go ahead and get it. Fearing I wouldnít catch her in a mood like this for a few years to come I bought it.

When I measured off 200 feet today I looked back at the target and realized this was just about as far as my conscience should let me shoot. Big buck, heart beating fast, maybe not taking my time even if the deer was standing still, this looked like about as far as I should take a shot. At 63 my eye sight and steadiness arenít what they used to be.

Now, I am sitting here wondering what legitimate reason I would have to leave the order on the 338 open
    ( except for just wanting one ) when I now have the 30-30. I wanted the 338 as a gun to use early in the season when the max you can see in the woods due to foliage is about 25 yards. To me it seems the 338 with all its flat trajectory and energy, unless I put a scope on it, will not be any better than the 30-30.

As it stands now I am leaving the order open, but if it takes a long time for the 338 to make it to the dealer, I might have second thoughts.

Thanks for the input. What prompted the question was this. I have been reading about the 338 Marlin Express, and decided that I needed one. I have several bolt rifles and several autos in 30-06 and 243 caliber. I had a 336 Marlin years ago that I traded in a gun deal and have regretted getting rid of it the day after the deal.

I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to order the 338. Well, it turns out all the distributors in the state are out of the 338 and after calling Marlin they canít tell me when the next production run will be. A few days ago I was in a sporting goods store and saw a good price on a 336
    30-30. My wife was with me and told me if I wanted it to go ahead and get it. Fearing I wouldnít catch her in a mood like this for a few years to come I bought it.

When I measured off 200 feet today I looked back at the target and realized this was just about as far as my conscience should let me shoot. Big buck, heart beating fast, maybe not taking my time even if the deer was standing still, this looked like about as far as I should take a shot. At 63 my eye sight and steadiness arenít what they used to be.

Now, I am sitting here wondering what legitimate reason I would have to leave the order on the 338 open
    ( except for just wanting one ) when I now have the 30-30. I wanted the 338 as a gun to use early in the season when the max you can see in the woods due to foliage is about 25 yards. To me it seems the 338 with all its flat trajectory and energy, unless I put a scope on it, will not be any better than the 30-30.

As it stands now I am leaving the order open, but if it takes a long time for the 338 to make it to the dealer, I might have second thoughts.
    For older eyes Put a red dot, or a low power IEF scope mounted scout style on the 336. Do not fire on a deer unless you can hit him in the boiler room. This is about the diameter of a coffee can. To me, there is nothing worse then wounding an animal.
    Take that money for the 338 and buy a nice pistol, or better yet, jewelry for you wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast