10mm - EA Witness - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10mm - EA Witness

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Get a METAL gun and some +P+ SD rounds and your answer would be yes.
    +p+ 9mm will put the hurt on someone.
    I to prefer the all metal pistol. It just feels right. However, I have know a couple of plastic ones that work just fine.

3. 1. Contact EAA and tell them about the brass getting thrown 25 yards on ejection. Tell them the ammunition you were shooting, too, so they can get an idea of the slide speed involved. You may need to step you in recoil spring weight if you are going to shoot heavy loads. The gun may have been shipped with a 40S&W weight spring for all we know.

2.How were the rounds jamming? Stovepiping? Double feed? Failing to eject? Failing to extract? Bullet nose hanging up on the edge of the feed ramp?

Most jams are caused by 1 of 2 things. The magazine or human error. I'm not going to rush to judgment until there's some clarification on what's going on.

Glockster,
    Not to try to start a fight or anything but you know there are actually folks that don't like Glocks and don't want anything to do with them. I, for example, am one of these people. I've shot and handled Glocks in every caliber except .380 and .357 Sig over the years and still have no interest whatsoever in owning one. They point poorly in my hand and every time I draw one, it is pointed in a new and different direction. I refuse to own a self defense pistol that won't point straight naturally in my hand, therefore, a Glock isn't the answer for me.

We realize that you are a BIG Glock fan (the name is a dead give away) but a Glock is NOT the one and only answer for everyone. Try answering the actual question rather than just saying, "Sell it and buy a Glock," sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    1. Contact EAA and tell them about the brass getting thrown 25 yards on ejection. Tell them the ammunition you were shooting, too, so they can get an idea of the slide speed involved. You may need to step you in recoil spring weight if you are going to shoot heavy loads. The gun may have been shipped with a 40S&W weight spring for all we know.

2.How were the rounds jamming? Stovepiping? Double feed? Failing to eject? Failing to extract? Bullet nose hanging up on the edge of the feed ramp?

Most jams are caused by 1 of 2 things. The magazine or human error. I'm not going to rush to judgment until there's some clarification on what's going on.

Glockster,
    Not to try to start a fight or anything but you know there are actually folks that don't like Glocks and don't want anything to do with them. I, for example, am one of these people. I've shot and handled Glocks in every caliber except .380 and .357 Sig over the years and still have no interest whatsoever in owning one. They point poorly in my hand and every time I draw one, it is pointed in a new and different direction. I refuse to own a self defense pistol that won't point straight naturally in my hand, therefore, a Glock isn't the answer for me.

We realize that you are a BIG Glock fan (the name is a dead give away) but a Glock is NOT the one and only answer for everyone. Try answering the actual question rather than just saying, "Sell it and buy a Glock," sometime.
    Of course I realize that... I used them as an example in my previous post. It was not meant to try and persuade someone into buying something that might not be for them. I respect your opinion and realize that there are a lot of folks who actually "hate" Glock pistols. And I don't have a problem with it. I have good friends that don't care for Glocks. There are pistols out there that don't feel good in my hand and don't work for me. No problem. By the way, I never told the OP to "buy a Glock". I did however express my opinion which was to suggest that the G20 would be a better choice for the 10mm. That is of course "my" opinion.

i feel that a 9mm will be a great ccw gun, imo i carry a .40 cal. no gun will get you the one shot kill, well other than a .50ae or a well placed shot, but that wont be for sure a one stop shot. +p is awesome for the 9mm, but if u want a bigger bullet look into a .40 or a good .45 round. just think about the time that i hope never happens to you, can u place 3-4 rounds of 10mm in a rapin fire situation?? if no i would consider somthing smaller that u can get as many rounds on target as possible. also look into ammo that your police dept uses and what they carry. never hurts to ask a cop, they do more testing than i have time for. thats one thing i did.

hope it helps!!!

10mm

Hi again. Last post someone asked me how my new 10mm jammed. The first three shots fired well. The fourth seemed to hang up - bullet nose into the feed ramp - or just a little crooked. I dropped the magazine, pulled the slide back just once, and the bullet fell out. The same thing happened just two rounds later. I put the two rounds back into the magazine since they weren't damaged and the final six went off without any glitches. I also was wondering if the spring was too weak - like a .40 spring - I will check with the gunshop where I got it - they have a range there also, so I can get some help there too.

Thanks again for all your comments!
    Milto

7. Quote Originally Posted by Milto View Post
    Hi again. Last post someone asked me how my new 10mm jammed. The first three shots fired well. The fourth seemed to hang up - bullet nose into the feed ramp - or just a little crooked. I dropped the magazine, pulled the slide back just once, and the bullet fell out. The same thing happened just two rounds later. I put the two rounds back into the magazine since they weren't damaged and the final six went off without any glitches. I also was wondering if the spring was too weak - like a .40 spring - I will check with the gunshop where I got it - they have a range there also, so I can get some help there too.

Thanks again for all your comments!
    Milto
    The failure to feed (FTF) sounds like either a mag problem or you limp wristed it. The lips of the mag may need to be played with (opened up slightly in the front) or it may just be new. Contacting the gun shop isn't going to help much, they just sold the gun and won't have the details of what spring was put in at the factory. Email EAA, they will be able to help you on the matter.

8. I'd take it to a competent gunsmith for a looksee. Mine went just over 1200 rounds before its first failure (FTE). Its now over the 2000 mark without another failure of any kind.

NEK, thank you for your reply. You are the first to reply with another EA Witness 10mm. Does yours eject 20 to 25 yards? I think that is at the root of the problem, and I will ask that when I take it in to a gunsmith. I have shot it a few times since the first two ejection jams, and it seems to be working a lot smoother, but I am still not understand the far ejections. I reload, and chasing down the empties is interesting to say the least besides the concern over whether it may be a .40 spring instead of a 10mm. EA does make both. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12