10mm - EA Witness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm - EA Witness

10mm - EA Witness

All,

I just bought one of these because I don't feel that 9mm is enough fire power. I know, that is a can of worms itself, but I have been a .41mag person since about 15 years old. I am over 50 now, and I still like big Pistols / Revolvers. The problem is that yesterday was my first test of the gun, and I only shot 12 bullets. It jammed twice - not bad - and each one of the shells flew 20 to 25 yards away! Is this normal? I like the feel of the gun in my hand, and it seems to have the power I am looking for in a CCW, but I reload, and chasing down casings 25 yards away - they were all hard to find, let alone - one could almost make the claim that you could stop someone with just the casing flying out!!!
    Is the spring too weak? I used factory loaded "Double Tap" ammo, and it all shot well.

Thoughts?

I have seen screens set up to stop wayward ejections. This was during some kind of competition. One guy had some kind of basket fixed to his semi auto. I don't remember what kind of firearm.

It jammed twice on 12 pulls of the trigger and you say "not bad"!?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

IMO, a better vehicle for the 10mm Auto is the Glock 20. I have a 2nd generation G20 and bought back in '93. Guess what? It's never failed... "knock on wood"...lol. In fact it hungrily gobbles up any kind of 10mm load. Consider a trade in

Quote Originally Posted by Milto View Post
    All,

I just bought one of these because I don't feel that 9mm is enough fire power. I know, that is a can of worms itself, but I have been a .41mag person since about 15 years old. I am over 50 now, and I still like big Pistols / Revolvers. The problem is that yesterday was my first test of the gun, and I only shot 12 bullets. It jammed twice - not bad - and each one of the shells flew 20 to 25 yards away! Is this normal? I like the feel of the gun in my hand, and it seems to have the power I am looking for in a CCW, but I reload, and chasing down casings 25 yards away - they were all hard to find, let alone - one could almost make the claim that you could stop someone with just the casing flying out!!!
    Is the spring too weak? I used factory loaded "Double Tap" ammo, and it all shot well.

Thoughts?
    Any gun of mine that jams twice in 12 rounds is no longer my gun. Any carry gun thats performs as such should be carried as a boat anchor.

i agree. if u shot 12 rounds and it jamed 2 times.... the gun sucks. and why a 10mm, isnt a .45 enough gun?? to me a 10mm is like a pissing contest of who had the biggest gun. and will you really carry it everyday?

just my .2

10mm or .41 magnum

The OP stated he was a fan of the .41 magnum. The 10mm is barking right on the heels of that cartridge in performance. My guess would be he just likes the performance of the round. I do too. Is it a good carry round?? Probably not. It is a handfull and the guns designed for it are usually quite large. A full house 10mm load is more apt to over-penetrate a two legged animal. It is a suitable hunting round for deer and hog.

Hi! Thanks all for your comments. Gives thought to other things I hadn't considered. Since the gun is new, and even though I worked the action several times before I took it out to shoot, and took it all apart to make sure it was all clean / ready to use, I didn't think the jams were abnormal. My first 9mm did the same thing a few years ago. So did the first .22 semi auto. I hadn't planned on carrying it until I had worked it in, and gotten comfortable with handling it. As some of you stated, it seems a little high in power. Maybe I am just paranoid that 9mm isn't enough to stop a BG. I truly don't want to go through walls after a bg! Is 9mm enough?

Is 9mm enough?
    Get a METAL gun and some +P+ SD rounds and your answer would be yes.

Hi! Thanks all for your comments. Gives thought to other things I hadn't considered. Since the gun is new, and even though I worked the action several times before I took it out to shoot, and took it all apart to make sure it was all clean / ready to use, I didn't think the jams were abnormal. My first 9mm did the same thing a few years ago. So did the first .22 semi auto. I hadn't planned on carrying it until I had worked it in, and gotten comfortable with handling it. As some of you stated, it seems a little high in power. Maybe I am just paranoid that 9mm isn't enough to stop a BG. I truly don't want to go through walls after a bg! Is 9mm enough?
    I like the 10mm Auto cartridge... I like it.. a lot! However, it is expensive to shoot. I qualified with and carried my Glock 20 as my service weapon when I was a reserve deputy. Taking it to the range and/or qualifying with it was always quite expensive. The G20 is a large pistol... tough to conceal effectively and comfortably. Glock does make a sub compact version, the Glock 29 which would be easier to CC. However, I imagine that recoil in this firearm would be rather stout. I don't know as I haven't tried shooting one yet. It was probably designed more for hikers and joggers living in bear country. Anyway, I CC the smaller sub-compact Glock 27 chambered in .40 S&W (10mm short).... or as a lot of 10mm folks call it, .40 Short & Weak If you are not quite comfortable with the 9mm for protection you can always go with the .40 or .45 as options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast