1858 remington - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1858 remington

1. Went to the range today and fired the BP remington. I was amazed at hardly any recoil. I thought it would kick a little. Used 15 grains of pyrodex. Doesn't really "crack" like a modern gun with smokeless powder, more of a "thump" sound.
    One thing for sure. If you miss him with the first shot you got an awesome smoke screen to cover you while you run away!
    Brought it home and took it all apart and scrubbed it with hot soapy water, dried it and sprayed it down with break-free. Messy to shoot, but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    Went to the range today and fired the BP remington. I was amazed at hardly any recoil. I thought it would kick a little. Used 15 grains of pyrodex. Doesn't really "crack" like a modern gun with smokeless powder, more of a "thump" sound.
    One thing for sure. If you miss him with the first shot you got an awesome smoke screen to cover you while you run away!
    Brought it home and took it all apart and scrubbed it with hot soapy water, dried it and sprayed it down with break-free. Messy to shoot, but fun.
    I coat mine with olive oil. I don't like petroleum products around black powder.
    Pyrodex is measured differently then black powder if you didn't all ready know. Google will help you out.

4. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Pyrodex is measured differently then black powder if you didn't all ready know.
    Since when and what unit and method of measurement are you talking about using?

According to the President of Hogdon Powder (the maker of Pyrodex and 777), Pyrodex is a volume for volume substitute for real BP. It needs to be compressed just like BP (1/16th to 1/8th of an inch of compression is the norm for BP cartridge). As a matter of fact, it compresses better because it is slightly spongier than the real thing.

Yeah, I know some folks are hung up on weighing powder charges and refuse to use the volumetric grain in their measurement of BP but that is what has been used for centuries. Some CAS shooters have even swapped over to using CC's (ala the Lee powder scoops) rather than the volumetric grain. I don't see the difference between using the volumetric grain or the CC but that's what floats their boat.

The ounce is both a volumetric (or fluid) and weight unit of measure and the grain is a subdivision of the ounce. If you cook, you use volumetric units of measurement to follow most recipes. Fluid ounces, cups, teaspoons, ... are all volumetric units of measure. For example cup of flour is 8 fluid ounces by volume. That doesn't mean that a cup of flour weighs half a pound (8oz), it just means it takes up 8 units of space as defined by the fluid ounce.

In the same manner, if you load 40gr of BP by volume, you are putting enough BP into the gun that it takes up 40 units of space as defined by the term 'grain'. Will it weigh 40grs on your scale? Probably not. Even if it happens to, that will change as you buy different lots of powder or change brands.

Anthony,
    I like Break Free a LOT (that and Outter's Gunslick is all I use on smokeless guns) but I ain't never gonna use it on a BP gun. I'll fry some bacon and use the grease before I do that. You really need to get a lube specifically intended for use with BP. You can get away with a little more with the Subs like Pyrodex but if you go mixing Goex, Wano, Elephant, Swiss, Dragon or any of the other brands of REAL BP with a petroleum based lube, you are gonna be in a world of hurt when you try to clean it. TC Bore Butter will work great if you don't have anything else or can't find anything in the stores but it's too pricey for me to use as a gun lube.

This was what I was trying to say. Thank you for correcting that JTG.
    I only use Goex, but its just my choice.
    Pyrodex is the most common "black powder substitute." It is really the only synthetic black powder "performance" substitute in common use. By performance substitute, I refer to a charge of loose powder measure by volume. A 100 grain volumetric charge of Pyrodex RS (Rifle/Shotgun) is very close in performance to Goex FFg black powder.

There are differences, though, and this is where things get a bit convoluted. Pyrodex is bulkier, another way of saying "less dense." By weight, it is more powerful than Goex black powder. But, the traditional method of measuring black powder is indeed by volume, so in that sense it is a black powder performance substitute.

By actual weight, it is not the same. 100 grains measured by volume of Goex FFg is about 101.3 grains by weight. 100 grains measured by volume of Pyrodex RS is about 72.5 grains by weight. Pyrodex is where confusion can start to set in, as the standard "F" designations of powder coarseness start to go out the window.

Pyrodex "Select," formulated for use in muzzleloading rifles, is touted as an "extremely consistent" grade of Pyrodex, and has the largest grain size of them all. It is even farther away from black powder by actual weight; 100 grains volumetric equals about 63.9 grains by actual weight.

Pyrodex, though man-made and with a variety of additives, still has sulfur in it and is corrosive. It is classified as a smokeless powder by the DOT, and bears little resemblance to traditional black powder in actual weight or grain size. It is a bit harder to ignite than black powder, and is safer to handle, use, and store due to this fact. It is also not as impact-sensitive as is true black powder. Pyrodex is not classified as an explosive as is black powder, and is sold at many chain stores due to this fact.
    What is the Difference between Black, Pyrodex, Triple Seven, and Smokeless Powders?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123