Caliber vs. Protection - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caliber vs. Protection

1. I prefer to carry the biggest I can carry easily and still shoot easily. Too small of a round will just make a big guy angry and then how do you stop him.

K

Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
    I prefer to carry the biggest I can carry easily and still shoot easily. Too small of a round will just make a big guy angry and then how do you stop him.

K
    Shoot him in his boy parts, or legs. Remember, its all about stopping the threat.

I was trained to use at least a 380 sized pistol aimed at COM.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

However, a .22 LR high velocity round aimed at the right body parts will do the job. It is better then no gun at all. Better then OC. Better then a belt baton or tazer.

I am tired of packing a revolver when I am dressed lite, and or the threat level is low.

In these troubling times, It is a waste of money to practice with a .380. Sometimes you can't even find 380 rounds. 65 cents a round? I don't think so.

So, I went out and found a mouse gun. I have spent hours not only breaking it in, but point shooting. CCI velocitators pack a nasty punch for little .22 LR.

Five years ago, I would of called this "nuts"

Beretta 21A 22LR

A .380 you can't shoot "expert" with IMO is no good at all. Neither is any pistol you don't hit your target with.

There have been instances where someone was stooped with one shot from a 22 and also where a BG took more than 20 shots with a 40. Good shot placement and the ability to deliver multiply rounds are more important than how big the bullet is. Good shot placement with a small cal beats a dozen misses with a 45.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    The objective is to stop the threat.

Not to damage vital organs, or to kill. It is to stop the threat.

If the bad guy gets shot, and dies, that is what happens using deadly force. Hopefully, no shots will be fired, and everyone goes home to their loved ones.

I carry a Charter arms bulldog DAO .44 special with 165 gr JHP Corbons in the evening. I live in a bad neighborhood. Usually the bad people are sleeping in during the day. I said usually.

During the day a mouse gun.

Bigger is not better. My wife tells me that occasionally.

Carry what ever is reliable, and you are comfortable with. Carry a .40 plus if you want. But, you don't have to.

Some of these "gun guys" will have everyone buying a 1911 .45 acp for carry. That does not always work for everyone.

I disagree with the 40 cal or larger camp. People sometimes read to many gun rags.

he dissagrees with people who carry .40's but he carrys a .44 special thats got the same power as a .40 cal??? weird. and i have had a .40 way before i even started reading gum mags..... just like this site a mag is only an opinion.

make that gun not gum. lol

I disagree with the people who say 40 cal or larger is the only firearm you should use.
    I carry a .44special because that is what I have that can be concealed.
    I have a other pistols, but nothing that I can conceal to my satifaction.
    I carry a .22 lr during the daytime.
    In a perfect world, I would carry a small 38, 9, or a 380. In that order.
    Sorry for the confusion. I see how one could think I am flip flopping.
    Thank you.

sweet i im glad we can agree on somthing. i would too in a perfict world carry somthing smaller, but a perfict world we are far from my friend. with that being said i 2 dissagree with anyone who thinks one cal is best for all. i like the .40 cal round, but thats me. i carry 2 guns in .40 and have none smaller, but i do want to get a 9or 38 here down the road. im liking the new lcr.

A 9mm Sub Compact that is +P+ capable. I carry one and I like Federal Hydra-Shok JHP's. But that's just me. I own a .45 acp PT145 also, but even it's compact size can be a burden to carry... The whole idea of having a CCW isn't going looking for a gun fight, it's to protect yourself and others from emminent danger, death, or worse, not to kill someone, but to stop the threat, (I personally hope I never have to use mine).

theicemanmpls, I used to own one of those Beretta 21A's a long time ago. I paid $78.98 for it NIB at Cooks Sporting Goods in Colo. Sps, Colo. in 1970. I had more fun with that little gun, until a family member stole it and sold it for booze money. I wish I had another, but I'm too darned cheap to part with what Beretta is asking for one now...

JSDinTexas Guest
    In defense of my post and being stepped on by iceman, I will add:

1) I was coached by LEOs and this is why I go to a larger caliber
    2) You can't always count on the BG to be sane, sober (drugs), or not wearing 5 layers of clothes
    3) You will not always hit COM
    4) Head shots are on TV
    5) Finally, to stop the aggression requires stopping it, not hoping to wound or intimidate, if that were the case, we could all carry tasers or bull whips or some such nonsense.

I never met an LEO that didn't go large, both as the duty weapon and the backup, and before you say that is their job, What is yours in this senario?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast