Trying to help my wife become less stressed about the idea of a handgun in the house - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to help my wife become less stressed about the idea of a handgun in the house

In addition to taking her to the range, you could try to convince her to take some NRA classes with you. It is one thing to hear you tell her how safe it can be. It is quite another for her to actually learn it for herself from a certified instructor. For some reason, women believe it more when it comes from a professional, even if that is where you learned it in the first place.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

What works best is buy a nice .22, take her to the range, load for her and let her shoot, once she realizes how much fun it is you will have a convert.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Read her the NRA armed citizen page every month. Worked for my wife. Of course, having her grandma murdered helped too but that was after she was already a convert.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

i think it was our second date when somehow the topic of guns came up . She had a disgusted look on her face when i mentioned that i have some. I asked if she wanted to go to the range and she said no. I said if she wants to win this argument she has to know what she is talking about first. Our third date was at the range and now.. 4 years later she is a better shot than me.
    take her to the range and she may become more comfortable with the idea

Quote Originally Posted by Old Zebra View Post
    Please don't take any of this personal, but it would help if she could identify what specifically is causing her concern. She is obviously apprehensive about a gun being in the house...but why? Is it because kids may be able to access the gun? Is it because she feels gun safety is not observed when the gun is being handled? Does she lack confidence in your ability to use the gun without jeopardizing family members? See if you can get to the root causes of her concerns. Then jointly work out solutions that resolve her issues.
    Well put.

You have to understand the source of the fear, and identify the problem before you can solve the problem.

Most mothers have a fear that the children will gain access to the firearms. That's been my experience as to the main fear and problem. If that's the case you need to show how your storage method will prevent unauthorized access. Preventing unauthorized access is one of the cardinal rules for home firearms safety.

If use of the gun and its potential to injure family members is a concern, show her your plan. You do have a plan, right? Show her how the first step is to secure everyone in your safe room. You do have a safe room, right? Have her help you put the plan together and even run through it every now and again.

Making her part of the plan should help to make her part of the solution. YMMV.
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

7. My wife was eventually won over based on a couple of factors:
    1. I bought a pistol safe and was diligent in locking up the pistols when ever they were not being used or carried.
    2. I left my rifleman magazines in the head. She found the armed american report and started reading them.
    3. My youngest son got involved in competitive shooting, 3/4 position air rifle, via the local American Legion post. She was suddenly a fan of the shooting sports ;).
    4. I got NRA certified to work with the Boy Scouts and eventually started teaching basic pistol courses.
    5. One of her friends took my class, got her CCW, bought a pistol and started going to the range -- sold.
    6. Now she gets pissed if I go to the range without her and is flirting with getting her CCW.

Note: This transpired over the course of about 10 years.

8. Take her to Home Defense training class
    NRA Life Member

A gun safe (or equivalent) is a MUST! with children in the house. Education is the place to start; however, there is a down side - I took my girlfriend to the range for that reason, and I haven't been able to shoot my new Glock 17 since - it became her Glockette! In the long term, it may cost you a gun or two....

I don't have any dogs in this chase since my wife shoots better than me, and was an avid shooter when I meant her. But I agree with the advice given in this forum. These guys sound like they have been there, done that! Listen to them...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by matelpt View Post
    A gun safe (or equivalent) is a MUST! with children in the house. Education is the place to start; however, there is a down side - I took my girlfriend to the range for that reason, and I haven't been able to shoot my new Glock 17 since - it became her Glockette! In the long term, it may cost you a gun or two....
    Same thing happened to me when I took the wife to the range, I put the tactical laser on my HK and the wife started shooting steel and I could not be my gun back until she had used up all my ammo......

N gun safe is a no 1 idea just go larger than you think you will need and sell it on the basis that you can put her jewelry, kids videos, and tax records in it.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast