Trying to help my wife become less stressed about the idea of a handgun in the house - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Trying to help my wife become less stressed about the idea of a handgun in the house

  1. Thanks for the wonderful advice everyone!

    I do know the root of the fear... the kids. I showed her my safe room, where the safe will be installed, and how they will be locked safely when not in use.

    I think I will enroll her in a firearms safety class, then take her to the range. I do think she will get a kick out of it with a nice little .22

    Thanks again all!

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Where in MA? If I may ask...
    Hi 6shootercarry, I'm about 10 minutes north of Boston. Thinking of joining the Massachusetts Rifle Association.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by B A Booracus View Post
    Thanks for the wonderful advice everyone!

    I do know the root of the fear... the kids. I showed her my safe room, where the safe will be installed, and how they will be locked safely when not in use.

    I think I will enroll her in a firearms safety class, then take her to the range. I do think she will get a kick out of it with a nice little .22

    Thanks again all!
    Good Idea!

    When I decided to get my CWP, I ask my wife to take the course just to learn more about gun safety JIC something happened to me and she needed to use, unload or handle my gun.

    After taking the course she decided to get her CWP. It took her a few months to carry regularly (mainly because she can't carry @ work); but she now carry's, trains and shoots regularly.

    Taking the class and learning about gun safety issues also made her more comfortable with the idea of having guns around our to young kids.

    On a side note:
    Both our children (now 8 & 10) enjoy shooting their 22lrs; but have really no interest in handguns. My son is just now becoming interested in getting a "pump" shotgun to hunt some with his friend.

    Educating young children and letting them shoot really helps keep them safe around guns.

    As a parent you can keep your firearms locked away; (except your CCW).
    BUT!!!!!
    We have absolutely NO control over circumstances at their friends houses.

    This is where EDUCATION and "SHOOTING" really help protect your children.

    There's an old saying: "Curiosity killed the cat."
    AND
    Unfortunately, "curiosity" kills children every year!

    Full access to gun safety education AND allowing "supervised" access to handling and shooting firearms takes away the "curiosity" factor; and is the BEST safety measures you can take to protect your children.

    SO; keep your firearms either locked up or on your person. Enroll "you" and your "entire" family some NRA safety & shooting classes.

    Didn't mean to be preachy; but Firearm "SAFETY" involves a heckuva lot more than just buying a "Safe".

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek Mi
    Posts
    1,853

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Good Idea!


    There's an old saying: "Curiosity killed the cat."
    AND
    Unfortunately, "curiosity" kills children every year!

    Full access to gun safety education AND allowing "supervised" access to handling and shooting firearms takes away the "curiosity" factor; and is the BEST safety measures you can take to protect your children.
    SO; keep your firearms either locked up or on your person. Enroll "you" and your "entire" family some NRA safety & shooting classes.

    Didn't mean to be preachy; but Firearm "SAFETY" involves a heckuva lot more than just buying a "Safe".
    Huge +1!!!
    I started my kids shooting around age 5, took them shooting when ever they wanted, made family days of it>
    Taught them to reload, they all have their own guns, bought each one a Pistol (let them pick it out and do the paper work I was just the money guy) for their 21st birthday... and guess what despite what the liberals may tell you they never killed anyone, never got in trouble with the law, never got into drugs, but they did become pro 2A supporters and life NRA members and got their CCW, but no criminals but the youngest did get his Eagle scout and is going to college to become an engineer, Next in line joined the army with a rank of E4 after completing College and the oldest well she just works for a living and runs a small farm... 3 for 3 not too bad and they all had evil guns while they were growing up too......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

  6. #25
    my wife was very anti, but just ignorant in that regard (had never been around guns, etc). When we got married and i said i was buying a gun, huge fight. I said there has to be a middle ground between "yes i am" and "no you are not". The original compromise is that the guns would be in a safe in the attic, unloaded, with the ammunition downstairs. After a while, and with my responsible actions, she now trusts me implicitly and knows that i will be responsible at all times. Thus, if i wanted to, she wouldnt now object to me leaving my smaller safe in the bedroom with a loaded gun inside (i havent yet because i cant find a good place to bolt it down and am afraid someone will just pick the whole thing up and walk off with it in the event of a burglary).

    Be open, look for compromise and be responsible. She should come around eventually.
    stuckinnj

  7. Here is a great site to have a look around

    Cornered Cat

    it is geared towards women and answers a ton of questions.

    Another great site is:

    No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations

    Here is an excerpt from their gun control page:

    from: Home Defense

    Gun control

    As stated, much of the gun control issue boils down to just one thing. And that is: Do you trust someone to meet and adhere to these higher standards?

    One side categorically says 'no;' the other a qualified 'yes and no.'

    The anti-gun stance revolves strongly around the idea that the proponents literally don't trust anybody to have the common sense to keep a weapon safely or have enough emotional control not to go berserk and start shooting people.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek Mi
    Posts
    1,853

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckinnj View Post
    my wife was very anti, but just ignorant in that regard (had never been around guns, etc). When we got married and i said i was buying a gun, huge fight. I said there has to be a middle ground between "yes i am" and "no you are not". The original compromise is that the guns would be in a safe in the attic, unloaded, with the ammunition downstairs. After a while, and with my responsible actions, she now trusts me implicitly and knows that i will be responsible at all times. Thus, if i wanted to, she wouldnt now object to me leaving my smaller safe in the bedroom with a loaded gun inside (i havent yet because i cant find a good place to bolt it down and am afraid someone will just pick the whole thing up and walk off with it in the event of a burglary).

    Be open, look for compromise and be responsible. She should come around eventually.
    stuckinnj
    I took my future wife (34 years ago) out shooting with me multiple times before we were married, had she issued such a protest then we may have never been.

    I Introduced her to may many hobbies, Guns, Ham Radio, Flying, Motorcycles, classic cars, ETC to see if we had similar interest, and yes I visited hers too. Marriage is more than lust, a relationship takes time and if you have a good starting foundation then it will last.

    Bottom line is when you are in the dating, going steady, engaged phase you will take extra steps to please each other, and hence open to new experiences foods and ideas, (I was a fussy eater before) and that all too often ends once the words "I DO" are uttered.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

  9. #28
    Good luck.

  10. #29
    wolfhunter Guest
    The Cornered Cat site is great and helped my wife reach a decision to get her CCW. SHE now owns 2 guns of her own.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckinnj View Post
    my wife was very anti, but just ignorant in that regard (had never been around guns, etc). When we got married and i said i was buying a gun, huge fight. I said there has to be a middle ground between "yes i am" and "no you are not". The original compromise is that the guns would be in a safe in the attic, unloaded, with the ammunition downstairs. After a while, and with my responsible actions, she now trusts me implicitly and knows that i will be responsible at all times. Thus, if i wanted to, she wouldnt now object to me leaving my smaller safe in the bedroom with a loaded gun inside (i havent yet because i cant find a good place to bolt it down and am afraid someone will just pick the whole thing up and walk off with it in the event of a burglary).

    Be open, look for compromise and be responsible. She should come around eventually.
    stuckinnj
    Lodi, NJ?
    YouTube - Creedence Clearwater Revival: Lodi
    With all the laws, rules, and regulations in the garden state, do you mean to tell me, burglers still operate there? Find a nice small table you don't care about, get out your wrench's, bit, black and decker, and drill, baby, drill.
    The bad guys will have to take the whole table or make a hell of a racket busting it up. Burglers don't usually use minivan's or pickups.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Handgun vs Long gun for Home Defense - a discussion starter
    By RochPersDef in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 10:23 AM
  2. EXCLUSIVE: Democratic donors rewarded with W.H. perks
    By festus in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM
  3. White House spammer-in-chief wants contractor to track critics
    By Tea For One in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 01:10 PM
  4. Handgun for Wife?
    By justinrad in forum Handgun Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 08:03 PM
  5. H 3003 In House Judiciary Committee
    By Red Hat in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast