Trying to help my wife become less stressed about the idea of a handgun in the house
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to help my wife become less stressed about the idea of a handgun in the house

1. Trying to help my wife become less stressed about the idea of a handgun in the house

I will be getting my LTC in MA in a few weeks and want to put my wife's mind at ease about how safe a responsible gun owner can be when there are kids in the house (We have a 2 yr old and a 5 month old).

Is there any material (statistics, pamphlets, publications, etc...) that can help her be more comfortable with a safely stored firearm in our house?

Take a look at this:
    Record numbers now licensed to pack heat - Life- msnbc.com
    Facts never seem to help when you're talking to a hopolophobe, so I hope she's more open minded than that.

I bought my wife-to-be a revolver before we got married. She has several guns that are 'hers' as well as owning me and mine ...

Have you taken her shooting? That might be a good place to start.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

What helped me out with convincing the girl, was we started watching the show "I shouldn't be alive". One episode we watched was all on women being mugged. That opened her eyes to what happens in the real world.

The other thing that NDS already said, is take her to the range!!!!

I find that alot of people that haven't been around guns seem to think they can go off by themselves, or if you drop them . Explain to her what a firing pin safty is. Once you go to the range it will make her more comfortable aroung them.

have her shoot a .22 or she'll hate it!!!

My girls son just turned 3 yesterday. we have been together for 15 months, and only took about 8 - 10 months to convert her from a strong anti gun way of thinking, to when ever we go out she expects me to carry.

Get a safe, get her involved, get to pack'n (once your class A no restrictions comes)
    ps I also have my class A, and I live in MA too

Hey Boor: Your wife certainly understands all about your sense of responsibility---in my house it all came down to jewelry. I get my "jewelry" when she gets hers. I'm not trying to make light of a significant discussion etc that you must have with other adults in the home, but I give my wife credit for understanding my reasons and I give her credit for getting something she wants. Once that expensive item was around her neck, I came clean on my firearms and she never objected and understood that some were defense and some were target/hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by B A Booracus View Post
    I will be getting my LTC in MA in a few weeks and want to put my wife's mind at ease about how safe a responsible gun owner can be when there are kids in the house (We have a 2 yr old and a 5 month old).

Is there any material (statistics, pamphlets, publications, etc...) that can help her be more comfortable with a safely stored firearm in our house?
    Where in MA? If I may ask...

Getting her involved is the best idea. Gun safety in the home is a multiple step process. Keeping her informed and educated and when the children are ready educate them on the subject. Ignorance will kill faster than the bullet will. For good information consult the NRA website and GOAL's web site for other links to safety information. NSSF is a great resource as well.

Gun Owners' Action League - GOAL.org - "Protecting Your Freedom Begins Here"

NRA

NSSF | Safety

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by B A Booracus View Post
    Please don't take any of this personal, but it would help if she could identify what specifically is causing her concern. She is obviously apprehensive about a gun being in the house...but why? Is it because kids may be able to access the gun? Is it because she feels gun safety is not observed when the gun is being handled? Does she lack confidence in your ability to use the gun without jeopardizing family members? See if you can get to the root causes of her concerns. Then jointly work out solutions that resolve her issues.

Good luck!

Get a gun safe for your firearms. You have children.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Zebra View Post
    Please don't take any of this personal, but it would help if she could identify what specifically is causing her concern. She is obviously apprehensive about a gun being in the house...but why? Is it because kids may be able to access the gun? Is it because she feels gun safety is not observed when the gun is being handled? Does she lack confidence in your ability to use the gun without jeopardizing family members? See if you can get to the root causes of her concerns. Then jointly work out solutions that resolve her issues.

Good luck!
    +1 - But start with a Safe regardless of her concerns..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Dont rush her... I had my cpl and weapons for 3 years before my wife would shoot.Now she likes them much better and will shoot once in a while.Our kids are gone now so I have them out more.She understands what they are for and knows how to use them. Thats all I can ask for now.
    WOODY!
    Please Bless and Support our Troops.
    Dont Blink, 100 Years Goes Faster Than You Think...

Look, if we all listened to the experts say "don't try (fill in the blank) at home" then where would the next generation of experts come from?

Just be smart enough to learn from other people's mistakes and get a gun vault that you can open quickly or carry the sucker 24/7. Experience is a great teacher but the test comes before the lesson.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast