Man arrested after discharging gun inside Walmart - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested after discharging gun inside Walmart

1. The only reason a firearm should clear the holster is to fire a round. Plain & symple. Glad this guy is behind bars.

Quote Originally Posted by colt4me View Post
    The only reason a firearm should clear the holster is to fire a round. Plain & symple. Glad this guy is behind bars.
    While this guy's actions were clearly negligent, to say that a gun shouldn't clear the holster unless it is to fire a round defies logic. Infact, Arizona just recently passed a law to protect someone who draws a firearm in self defense, even if firing ultimately wasn't necessary. It is a crying shame that such laws are even necessary. Think about it: if someone is 40' away and walking toward you, telling you he is going to kill you, and you draw your gun and point it at him and he stops 20' away, do you need to fire? If he turns around and walks (or runs) away, you have successfully defended yourself. Additionally, if he turns away and you still fire, you're looking at a murder charge.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

4. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    While this guy's actions were clearly negligent, to say that a gun shouldn't clear the holster unless it is to fire a round defies logic. Infact, Arizona just recently passed a law to protect someone who draws a firearm in self defense, even if firing ultimately wasn't necessary. It is a crying shame that such laws are even necessary. Think about it: if someone is 40' away and walking toward you, telling you he is going to kill you, and you draw your gun and point it at him and he stops 20' away, do you need to fire? If he turns around and walks (or runs) away, you have successfully defended yourself. Additionally, if he turns away and you still fire, you're looking at a murder charge.
    Okay, so I was a bit hasty in my thinking. Sure, we have to take a firearm out of a holster to clean it, to sell it, or so forth. Sure there are other scenarios where just letting someone know that you have a firearm would/will/should stop their advance. Yet, ultimately, if you take your firearm out, you intend to use it when and if necessary. Even if you never fire it, your intent is there. If not, if you cannot, will not, do not intend to use it if necessary then you should not have it.

Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by crystalphoto View Post
    "People don't have a Constitutional right to be idiots..." THEN WHY ARE THERE SO MANY IDIOTS WALKING AROUND ?????. AND THEY WALK AMOUGST US !!!
    Seth Willilams

More details released on Walmart gun incident

69 comments by Brittany Williams and Jake A. Harris - Apr. 9, 2010 04:16 PM
    The Arizona Republic

Maricopa County Superior Court documents revealed further details involving the 30-year-old Surprise man whose gun apparently fired into the ceiling of a Walmart store Thursday morning.

Records show that the gun David Sterling Walters fired was a loaded Jennings 9mm semiautomatic handgun. Customers and store workers were standing within a few feet from Walters, and all feared for their safety, the report said.

The report also states that at least six witnesses were willing to testify and all agreed they were "victims of endangerment."

No injuries were reported.

Walters could face multiple charges, including six counts of endangerment, one count of disorderly conduct with a weapon and one count of discharging a firearm in city limits, according to the court report.

Police gave the following account:

Walters entered the Walmart near 129th Avenue and West Thunderbird Road about 1 a.m. While in the store, witnesses told police, Walters repeatedly fidgeted with a holstered semiautomatic pistol, El Mirage police Detective Robert People said.

At one point, a clerk working the electronics section told police that Walters took the gun out of its holster and then removed and replaced the gun's magazine. The woman feared she was about to be robbed and notified the store manager. Walters continued through the store, apparently with a video game he told the clerk he would pay for at the front registers.

Walters wound up near a register where he later told police he intended to purchase the game. Several customers were nearby.

He removed the Jennings from the holster again, causing the magazine to come loose and fall to the floor. Walters re-inserted the magazine and continued manipulating the handgun when it fired, sending one round into the ceiling, Peoples said.

The identity of the gun's owner was unclear, but authorities were able to determine that the firearm had not been reported stolen.

El Mirage police arrested Walters about 1:30 a.m. and booked him into Fourth Avenue Jail. His bond was set at $1,530, and his next court hearing is April 15.
    Roy
    Dacono CO
    CCW, Ruger LCR, Winchester 94, S&W 686-3

7. EL MIRAGE, AZ -- A west Valley Wal-Mart customer was arrested Thursday after accidentally firing a round while playing with his pistol inside the store.

Have to agree with Hoot... this is just stupid, and you can't fix it... and stupid SHOULD hurt.
    geewhiz
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. - Author Unknown ----------- Nos laetus epulor qui would domito nos. - Morticia Addams

Absolultely no reason or excuse to remove a loaded gun from its holster inside WalMart except for defense. Would love to see if anyone offered this guy $100 to "accidentally" fire the gun in the store. But probably just an idiot.

Someone earlier said "This is a training issue" and "Should be mandatory to have proper training"

Not a training issue, it's a stupidity and moron issue. You can't train stupid and you can't train moronic.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

If you have a clean record, and are of age, and have the cash one can buy a firearm in AZ and many other places.
    In some states, one can carry with zero training.
    Mr Walters had some some serious issues that allowed him to draw his firearm and pull the trigger, in a crowded department store.
    I don't know if training may of prevented Mr Walters from committing this act of lunacy.

Anyone have any ideas how to slow down, perhaps detour the Mr Walters of the world from being stupid with a firearm?

I hate the idea of mandatory licensing with firearms, the libtards never stop adding regulations once they gain a foot hold. i.e CA, NJ.

Creative ideas? anyone?

11. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I am not the only one who has seen this on this website. It is very common. Wait till you get two of them in a gun store, and grab rifles off the racks, and start making "bang bang" noise's at each other while waving the rifles around. I didn't say a thing just pointed my finger at them, and pointed to the door. What I really wanted to do, I won't say. This is why I don't work in a gun store no more. I have very low tolerance for stupid, and dangerous.

BigbadAllis, let me ask, as an instructor, can't you just show people like that moron you had in your cpl class the door? Put a black mark next to his name in the computer, he will never have a CPL, unless he can prove maturity?

Firearms are like prescription drugs. You have to read the instructions, and be very careful with their use.
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I was a student in the class, not the instructor. I really think all CPL students and license holders should be held to higher standards.

Jason
    Jason
    Michigan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast