.357 Carbine-Question? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 Carbine-Question?

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    There are those who say that a handgun is only good to fight your way home to your rifle. A handgun is for self defense, up close and personal. Should any of the numerous possibilities that civil unrest, or worse, should come to pass, a rifle round capable of taking out any threat at 75-100 yrds. is my assurance that I won't be in fear of my life. A rifle is your best friend when distance comes into play.
    Understood. Exactly what I wanted folks to think about.

For those owning a rifle chambered for .357/.38 spl., what round do you choose best for SD within 50-100 yrds.?

1** .38 spl. standard or +P-158gr/125gr fmj-jsp-hp
    2**.357-158gr/125gr-jsp or HP
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Ayoob proved an assailant with a snub nose IS a threat at one hundred yards.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Ayoob proved an assailant with a snub nose IS a threat at one hundred yards.

-Doc
    No-one having a handgun at 100 yrds. is a threat to someone having a rifle, I don't care what Ayoob says. I'd challenge Ayoob myself under that condition.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    No-one having a handgun at 100 yrds. is a threat to someone having a rifle, I don't care what Ayoob says. I'd challenge Ayoob myself under that condition.
    I disagree. I wanted to see if the story about Wild Bill Hickcock killing a man at 75 yards with a cap and ball pistol was true.
    I loaded up my .36 cal. On my knees firing at a man sized target at 75 measured yards. Very strong crosswind.
    2 out of 6 were COM. This was with zero practice, and no spotter.
    I don't know how much power those lead balls had left, but I can safely conclude they would of at least hurt like hell.
    With a modern 38 pistol, I bet with a little practice i could of put at least 4 of 6 COM at 75t or 100 yards. A little better with the extra zip in 357.
    The pistol may not be equal to a rifle, but it should never be discounted.
    Anything that goes boom is a threat in some degree.

I have no trouble hitting a man size target at 100 yards with my 357 revolver!

I have a trophy from an IHMSA match with that revolver! I knocked 3 rams over at 200 yds from a standing position!

-Doc

I'm not sure if this would be off subject seeing as where this thread is heading but this is the one place I could think of posting this question and I think you folks may be able to help.

My cousin and I just got back from the desert and we took the chronograph, some hand loads, and his snub nose .357 and his .357 carbine out to do some testing. I was under the impression that the carbine (due to it's longer barrel) would produce higher velocities than the handgun. This was not the case. Shooting the same loads we were consistantly producing velocities of about 1300fps, give or take 50fps, from both. We thought maybe something had gone array in the loading process so we tried some factory ammo and got the same results.

Any help or thoughts you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way." - C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 91JEEPYJ View Post
    I'm not sure if this would be off subject seeing as where this thread is heading but this is the one place I could think of posting this question and I think you folks may be able to help.

My cousin and I just got back from the desert and we took the chronograph, some hand loads, and his snub nose .357 and his .357 carbine out to do some testing. I was under the impression that the carbine (due to it's longer barrel) would produce higher velocities than the handgun. This was not the case. Shooting the same loads we were consistantly producing velocities of about 1300fps, give or take 50fps, from both. We thought maybe something had gone array in the loading process so we tried some factory ammo and got the same results.

Any help or thoughts you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    The load was obviously optimized to a shorter barrel length.

-Doc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12