New To The Site, Had A Few Questions, Open To All Suggestions, 1st Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To The Site, Had A Few Questions, Open To All Suggestions, 1st Post

New To The Site, Had A Few Questions, Open To All Suggestions, 1st Post

A bit of background.
    I am 26, divorced and a Father of a beautiful little girl. I have been shooting multiple firearms since I was approx 18. I purchased my first firearm at 21, a 1911A1 Springfield .45. My 2nd firearm was a S&W 686+ .357 6' full lug, purchased by my ex wife as a wedding gift. I still own both weapons. I have owned a few others as well, but the 2 previously mentioned are still with me. I currently reside in San Diego, CA (La Mesa) and will shortly be moving to Seattle, WA

What I am looking for.
    I joined to participate in the discussions, but mostly to ask questions, learn, get advice, and become more involved in the firearm community. I thank everyone in advance for furthering my knowledge in what has evolved from a hobby to a passion.

THE QUESTIONS

Finally the questions and the good stuff.
    My first couple of questions are as followed.

1. What advice/technique/suggestions can you give when cleaning a firearm? What cleaning solutions do you use? Do you use gloves (which type)? Favorite brushes etc? Anything else you can think of involving the subject. Keep in mind I have the .45 and .357. I currently use Breakfree and a basic cleaning kit with no gloves.

2. I will probably be getting into hunting when I move up north and am looking for a decent rifle. I have been looking at a .308 Remington Bolt action, but keep in mind, I am open. Also, I have no knowledge about scopes what-so-ever.

3. I am looking for either a Survival Rifle or Combination Rifle (Rifle/Shotgun top and bottom, not interchangeable). Any suggestions?

4. I am looing for a .22 rifle. This could go hand in hand with question number 3. This could be a rifle I could take to the range and shoot all day, and we all know the .22 ammo is pretty cheap.

END OF QUESTIONS

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply. I will extend the same courtesy and read everything written. All suggestions I am greatly thankful for. I am happy to check out links and images. This took me a quite of bit of time. I wrote everything out and accidently deleted everything and had to start again. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply and I will try and provide. Please keep in mind these are just general questions, and are made to give me a general idea of the people on here, and have a good discussion.

Again, thank you so much in advance!

Yea, my first post!

Question # 1.
    Make sure it's not loaded..

Ed's Red homemade cleaning solvent works well.
    http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

Hoppes #9 solvent works. Bronze bore brush works well, Bore mop for the .45 is good as the patches fit too loose.
    Boses Guns - Here to Serve Hunters, Sportsmen, Trap Shooters, Competitive Shooters, Reloading Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen of all kinds with Shooting Supplies, Reloading Supplies, Gun Parts, Ammunition, Scopes. Customer Service and Same Day Shipping f
    Lead removal cloth is great for removing the burn marks from the forcing cone and front of the cylinder in the revolver.

Question #2.
    Try a few and find the one that you shoot well and feels right. Best way to find a good hunting rifle as well as any gun.

Question #3.
    AR-15 is a great platform for a survival rifle. Remington 870 is a great simple shotgun for survival, will be one of my next purchases...

Question #4.
    Ruger 10/22. Dependable and great shooter. Had one and regret selling it.

Just my 2 pennies there for public rebuke...

Welcome to the site, have fun and enjoy it all.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

wolfhunter Guest
    Ditto 6SC's comments.

In addition:
    1) Make sure it's unloaded. The Otis cleaning products work pretty well
    3&4) Henry/US Survivor AR-7

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Ditto 6SC's comments.

In addition:
    1) Make sure it's unloaded. The Otis cleaning products work pretty well
    3&4) Henry/US Survivor AR-7
    You have the AR-7? looks kinda cool. I like the breakdown description w/ the parts fitting in the stock..

Peace...

wolfhunter Guest
    Yeah, I like my AR-7. Although it has a cheap peep hole rear sight, mine is reasonably accurate out to about 50 yds. Plenty good enough for squirrel, rabbit, and other survival fare.

Yeah, I like my AR-7. Although it has a cheap peep hole rear sight, mine is reasonably accurate out to about 50 yds. Plenty good enough for squirrel, rabbit, and other survival fare.
    The take down is as simple as it's described? It all fits in the stock? If so then I have to look harder here. It would be a nice rifle for my trips into the upstate NY wilderness, especially if it fits in the backpack.

Peace...

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    The take down is as simple as it's described? It all fits in the stock? If so then I have to look harder here. It would be a nice rifle for my trips into the upstate NY wilderness, especially if it fits in the backpack.

Peace...
    Barrel has a knurled nut, tightens on Receiver. Stock has a Bolt w"wing-nut"-type head in pistol grip, tightens to Receiver. Butt Plate is a slip on cover; interior of stock is slotted for Barrel, Receiver, and Magazine.

Barrel has a knurled nut, tightens on Receiver. Stock has a Bolt w"wing-nut"-type head in pistol grip, tightens to Receiver. Butt Plate is a slip on cover; interior of stock is slotted for Barrel, Receiver, and Magazine.
    Geeze... sounds too good to be true. I'll need to look further. Thanks...

Peace...

I was checking out the AR-7, looks pretty nice. Good call on the Ruger, I liked that one as well. I checked a few stores in my area and they had some decent prices. Also looked up the Henry, huge discounts right now, one was $75.00 below MSRP.

Field Tester,

FIRST- WELCOME! come up on the porch, pull a cool one & sit a spell.

survival rifle/shotgun: look around the gunshows for a Savage over & under 22LR/20 guage combination gun. = my daughter paid (i think i remember) about 60.oo for hers, well-used at the San Antonio gunshow a couple of years ago. (i refinished it for her for about 10.oo) - i wouldn't "feel nekkid" with that & no other weapon in a SHTF situation, though i have NUMEROUS weapons of divers kinds.

cleaner: i use "GI bore cleaner", that i bought a gallon of surplus, then i was in the TXARNG. - it will last me as long as i'll live.

for "cruddy jobs": dishwashing gloves from wally-world- about 3.oo.

.308 rifle: it's HARD to beat any of the major brands bolt actions - my favorite is the Remington Model 700. - mine is an 'o6, for LH.

scope: i prefer a FIXED power Redfield- my favorite is the 4x. i also have a 6x for long-range on the .25/06.

hope that helps - it's just my opinions.

yours, TN46

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast