Washington State Gun Laws, can't find the info - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington State Gun Laws, can't find the info

I just meant that they would know better than me, yet I see you trumped me with the actual law.
    The D.E.N.N.I.S. System=Failsafe

NavyLT,

I just got a new Hard Drive and wipped my computer. I am unable to open the link
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=10415

Does it use Adobe? I need to download it anyways.

So from what I gather from the laws while transporting are as follows. Can't be loaded, but the mag can. As long as the mag is not in the firearm, I am fine. Does the firearm have to be locked? Does the ammo have to be in a seperate compartment. Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to be ignorant on the subject.

In Cali you have to lock the weapon with a gun lock, transport the ammo and gun in seperate compartments. IE gun in the trunk and ammo in the cab.

Rick, maybe a trip after a few months of being there. I have a friend in Spokane. I am going to visit him for the weekend anyways.

Anything else I should know?

4. I've not heard anything about certain "silencers"/suppressors being restricted. As far as I know suppressors are a federal licence issue and have nothing to do with the state. from what I've learned it's only a matter of the 200$ federal license and if you want to do it the easy (and I've been told you can then hand it down in you family in your will), set up a trust which cost around 200$ (at the one stop shop I was at) then the cost of the suppressor. I don't know if there is a federal restriction to what you can put a suppressor on.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rice8644 View Post
    I just meant that they would know better than me
    Haha! Well, I would not count on that all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by FieldTester View Post
    NavyLT,

I just got a new Hard Drive and wipped my computer. I am unable to open the link
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=10415

Does it use Adobe? I need to download it anyways.

So from what I gather from the laws while transporting are as follows. Can't be loaded, but the mag can. As long as the mag is not in the firearm, I am fine. Does the firearm have to be locked? Does the ammo have to be in a seperate compartment. Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to be ignorant on the subject.

In Cali you have to lock the weapon with a gun lock, transport the ammo and gun in seperate compartments. IE gun in the trunk and ammo in the cab.

Rick, maybe a trip after a few months of being there. I have a friend in Spokane. I am going to visit him for the weekend anyways.

Anything else I should know?
    Yes, the Washington Gun Rights Pamphlet needs Adobe Acrobat Reader.

For transporting in a vehicle in Washington, without a recognized CPL:
    The gun must be unloaded. (Rifles/shotguns can never be carried loaded in a vehicle, regardless of CPL.) The gun cannot be concealed on the person. The gun may be concealed anywhere else in the vehicle, or openly carried anywhere in the vehicle or openly carried on the person. Magazines may be loaded, just not locked in place in the firearm (so, technically, it could be in the handgrip, if not inserted all the way, but I personally wouldn't push that one.) Firearms are not required to be locked in any way, but if you leave a pistol in a vehicle unattended, at least the vehicle must be locked and the pistol must be concealed from view.

Once you get your CPL, a pistol can be carried anyway/anywhere you want to in a vehicle.

Ammo can be anywhere - and it actually is not a requirement in California to carry the ammo seperately.

Once you are outside the vehicle, you can fully load the gun and open carry, even without a CPL.

6. Quote Originally Posted by jtp View Post
    I've not heard anything about certain "silencers"/suppressors being restricted. As far as I know suppressors are a federal licence issue and have nothing to do with the state.
    RCW 9.41.250: Dangerous weapons ? Penalty ? Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:
    (c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

7. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    RCW 9.41.250: Dangerous weapons ? Penalty ? Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:
    (c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
    Right, but if you have a tax stamp issued by the ATF (which I guess I wasn't clear that I was talking about) then there's nothing the state can do. isn't that correct?

8. Quote Originally Posted by jtp View Post
    Right, but if you have a tax stamp issued by the ATF (which I guess I wasn't clear that I was talking about) then there's nothing the state can do. isn't that correct?
    Nope. Owning a noise suppressor is fine, but using it is a crime.
    There's a state legislator that keeps fighting for being able to use a noise suppressor every year, but he gets turned down every year as well. Owning and using are completely different. I would not recommend being the test case against that law...

NRA-ILA summary card for WA gun laws.

Only things you can not legally own/possess in WA are...
    DDs, MGs. SBRs and SBSs.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

10. Quote Originally Posted by jtp View Post
    The state can put you into a state penitentiary and fine you for violating RCW 9.41.250. The proper NFA paperwork has nothing to do with that.

11. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The state can put you into a state penitentiary and fine you for violating RCW 9.41.250. The proper NFA paperwork has nothing to do with that.
    ok, but sounds like it's only if you use it, you can still posses it.

maybe we'll get lucky and it will get changed this year.

WA Suppressor law: letter to Rep Pederson to support HB1604 - NFA Weapons

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast