Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    The general consensus of the pocket gun reviews/tests that I've seen is that the Sig is the best. Not surprising. I looked long and hard at the Sig but since I had shot the LCP before (and liked it) and had heard a lot of positive things about the LCP from actual owners, I couldn't justify spending twice as much $$$ on the Sig.

Now if Santa were to leave the 238 under my tree on Christmas eve....well let's just say I wouldn't be disappointed
    Not exactly true.

Gun Tests compared nine pocket 380's a few months ago including; Sig, Kahr, Kel-tec, Taurus, Rohrbaugh and four others that escapes my "old-guy" memory. But, the results were that the Taurus out performed ALL other "pocket" 380's except the Rohrbaugh. But, at $1000+ dollars the Rohrbaugh is a very steep price for most shooters.
    (I think the Sig came in third.)

As an RSO and trigger coach, I am familiar with most SD 380s that come through our CWP classes. I have had "range" time with a whole bunch of them.

Over the past few years, I have seen only one small "pocket" 380 that has given people "consistent" ftf issues. (The "Ruger" LCP)

My wife and I have seen so many problems with the LCP come through the training classes in which we participate, we can no longer recommend them as a good choice for PCW. (Especially, for new shooters!)

I really liked these little guns; at first. But, I don't trust them to perform past a shot or two. (BTW; I have NEVER seen "any" performance issues with a Taurus that was NOT directly related to "shooter" error.)

A Sig P238 is the BEST "pocket" performer I've personally experienced over the last few years. It looks GREAT! But it still cost quite a lot for a BUG.

I really like the Taurus as well. But, hands down the ABSOLUTE BEST performing 380acp I've ever experienced in my 40+ years of shooting handguns, is the BERSA. (Though, the Bersa is NOT a true "pocket" pistol.)

That's my o2c; and I know no one asked for it. IMHO; it really does boil down to personal "choice" based compromises that must be made.

For the sake of full discloser:
    I admit that my PCW is a 24/7 ProC 45acp; a "Taurus" handgun.

We've put over 1000 rounds through my wife's Ruger LCP and we are very happy with the gun. I have never seen the Taurus, but the Ruger LCP is an excellent, easily concealable pistol!
    Daily carry: Sig P239 or S&W 3913
    High Noon Horsehide holster
    Black Talon ammo

Buddy of mine does gun smithing.....he has seen "plenty" of quality issues with Taurus pistols, and they weren't due to user error. The Ruger LCP has been sold by the gazillions, they can't be problomatic for that to occur. Mine has yet to have a failure of any kind, and is very accurate and fun to shoot. The issues with Taurus is usually due to the lack of quality assurance, rushing new models out too quickly, and their tolerances and fit and finish is pure ass compared to others. I happen to be a Glock snob, and my gunsmith buddy says he rarely ever sees a Glock that needs repaired or sent back. At least Ruger has great customer service, that is another area where Taurus is seriously lacking.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    Buddy of mine does gun smithing.....he has seen "plenty" of quality issues with Taurus pistols, and they weren't due to user error. The Ruger LCP has been sold by the gazillions, they can't be problomatic for that to occur. Mine has yet to have a failure of any kind, and is very accurate and fun to shoot. The issues with Taurus is usually due to the lack of quality assurance, rushing new models out too quickly, and their tolerances and fit and finish is pure ass compared to others. I happen to be a Glock snob, and my gunsmith buddy says he rarely ever sees a Glock that needs repaired or sent back. At least Ruger has great customer service, that is another area where Taurus is seriously lacking.
    Do you have a buddy that is also an expert in cancer? You evidence is lacking any credibility. You may as well have said Taurus bad, Ruger good ugggggg. You have obviously never used Taurus customer service. I have had great luck with the couple times have used it. I have had the opposite luck with Ruger CS the couple times I have used it. Ruger had problems with several of its guns for rushing to production and the LCP was one. It had a recall for Christ sake. For the research challenged here is a link Ruger - LCP® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

Just for fun here is a link where people are not brainless praising of it.
    Ruger LCP SUCKS - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Its a lot like the people who confuse blind nationalism with patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Not exactly true.

I said "general consensus", not "everybody". I should have prefaced my statement by saying "From what I've seen......". There will always be differing opinions.....especially in publications and/or websites where advertising money is at stake

That being said, from what I've seen the 238's reviews are extremely positive - overall quite a bit better than the rest. No major complaints. The same can't be said for the others (LCP, TCP, etc.). The Rohrbaugh is extremely expensive and many dealers don't carry it. For that reason I really didn't consider it. I was speaking about the more common guns.

Quote Originally Posted by edteach View Post
    Do you have a buddy that is also an expert in cancer? You evidence is lacking any credibility. You may as well have said Taurus bad, Ruger good ugggggg. You have obviously never used Taurus customer service. I have had great luck with the couple times have used it. I have had the opposite luck with Ruger CS the couple times I have used it. Ruger had problems with several of its guns for rushing to production and the LCP was one. It had a recall for Christ sake. For the research challenged here is a link Ruger - LCP® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

Just for fun here is a link where people are not brainless praising of it.
    Ruger LCP SUCKS - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Its a lot like the people who confuse blind nationalism with patriotism.
    My evidence for Taurus making crappy guns isn't lacking any credibility. When you know people that work on guns for a living, are experts on guns for a living, and sell "all types of guns" for a living......I would call that person very credible. And opinions are like ********, which you and I have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    My evidence for Taurus making crappy guns isn't lacking any credibility. When you know people that work on guns for a living, are experts on guns for a living, and sell "all types of guns" for a living......I would call that person very credible. And opinions are like ********, which you and I have both.
    I'm with you on that one, Pokey. The individual you were responding to has changed his stories concerning Taurus and Ruger so many times that I don't think he even knows what true and what's a figment of his imagination. If people want to buy a Taurus then good for them. I won't.

P.S. Wanna buy my season tickets for next season's Buckeye/Hurricane matchup down here in Miami?? Lower level, 25 yd line

I said "general consensus", not "everybody". I should have prefaced my statement by saying "From what I've seen......". There will always be differing opinions.....especially in publications and/or websites where advertising money is at stake

That being said, from what I've seen the 238's reviews are extremely positive - overall quite a bit better than the rest. No major complaints. The same can't be said for the others (LCP, TCP, etc.). The Rohrbaugh is extremely expensive and many dealers don't carry it. For that reason I really didn't consider it. I was speaking about the more common guns.
    That's why I like "Gun Test"; they accept NO advertising.

I use a 24/7 ProC 45 for my PCW because quite frankly it was the only gun that was a good enough performer for CC and cheap enough that I could get one for me and one for my wife. I have been pleasantly surprised and my confidence in the Taurus brand has improved significantly.

I like the little TCP. But, a CWP student brought one of those new little Sigs out at the last class and I really loved it. (The one with that new finish that changes color, rosewood grips & night sights.) I think one cost around $750 in my area; and I want an AR worse than I want a new BUG.

I've also tried the Kahr, Kel-Tecs, etc. But, I really don't like any of those. My B-day is coming up in a couple of months and I hope to get a new AR by then. (Maybe, my wife will get me a Sig for my anniversary this summer.)

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    That's why I like "Gun Test"; they accept NO advertising.[/I]
    Talk about timing! Here you are extolling the virtues of "Gun Tests" and guess what I find in my mail when I get home - a Gun Tests subscription packet. Quite the coincidence......or is it

Anyway, I thought it was a bit amusing that the two Taurus pistols shown in their teaser ratings both got an "F". One of them, the Millenium Pro, was "beset with double-feeds and stovepipes".

Looks like they know what they're talking about. I'm going to subscribe.

Talk about timing! Here you are extolling the virtues of "Gun Tests" and guess what I find in my mail when I get home - a Gun Tests subscription packet. Quite the coincidence......or is it

Anyway, I thought it was a bit amusing that the two Taurus pistols shown in their teaser ratings both got an "F". One of them, the Millenium Pro, was "beset with double-feeds and stovepipes".

Looks like they know what they're talking about. I'm going to subscribe.
    Yeah,
    I haven't seen mine yet. I do NOT like the Milpros or the 709; and they get a big fat "F" from me as well.
    (Love the 24/7 "Pro Compact" line and their 1911's though.)

The one thing that people dislike most about Taurus is the slack in the trigger. It does take getting used to; but, the reset is good. Another thing I haven't been thrilled about are their magazines. (But, I haven't had any problems with mine.)

"Gun Tests Magazine" is very objective and fair in their testing. I really don't trust any "testing" house that accepts any advertising or manufacturer dollars.

BTW; What was the other Taurus?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast