Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I first shot a Ruger auto more than 30 yrs ago. It was a .22 and I was a teenager. It functioned perfectly. Last week I shot my LCP. It functioned perfectly (300+ rounds overall). In the 3 decades in between I have shot many a Ruger and never had a problem with any of them.

Last month I shot a friend's Taurus. It could not go through a mag w/o a FTF (we were using very reliable ammo). 3 of us shot it and all 3 of us had the same problem. This was simply the latest in a long line of reliability issues with Taurus that I have experienced or that I have had people tell me about. Maybe Taurus has has improved its product recently, maybe they haven't.

I don't give a hoot about whether a gun looks good (some here seem to make the gun's appearance a high priority). I care about whether it shoots when I pull the trigger and about where the slugs go. Based on that I'll take a Ruger any day over a cool looking Taurus.

To each his own.
    I expected to encounter some malfunctions at first with the Taurus too, based on all I had read about small semiautos in general. I was pleasantly surprised when I first shot it. No FTE/FTF at all. I haven't, YET, had any problems with it. Well, to be honest, I have had ONE problem with it. I can't hit ANYTHING! Ya think it could be the gun? LOL!!!

I own the ruger LCP , love the lil beast, mines never jams, overall is excellent gun no complaints.. the taurus TCP is the same sh!!!t.. go try both the one you like buy it shoot 100 rds FMJ and some JHP... and you ready !!! this gun is not a range gun so if you plan shooting alot get a bersa is bigger and got better sights....

We have 4 taurus 2-709 Slim & now 2-TCP. We had the Ruger LCP for all of 3 weeks. We put roughly 250 rounds & had issues with it not FTE & FTF! It wasn't constant but still after what we fired thur it plus a cleaning just wouldn't stop having these issues!
    Since we both had the same problems Limp Wristing wasn't an issue.Plus I waited till hubby fired it before I told him what it was doing on me! This way he wasn't looking or expecting something to happen! We went back to our gun store traded it out for the 2nd TCP!
    We've never had any issues with any of the Taurus we own! I guess we just lucked out on ours! 4 out of 4 and they all fire each & every time! I for one would & do carry them & trust they will fire if I need to use them!
    We also have 3-Glocks [the G-21,,G-36,,G-27] ,454 Super Red Hawk & 22-Walter,Plus we just added HR 12-gauge pump !
    Has to the looks of the weapon thats not what WE look at frist! For me its the size of the weapon, the weight, the feel, if I can rack it, if I can conceal & have it be comfortable. I perfer black on black. I totally dislike all the pink & the blue grips on weapons! If it was the only thing I could get I be replacing the grips before I'd even fire it or carry it!
    Its nice to have a good range of choices,

I have an older Taurus J-Frame 38 and a PT-111. Both weapons have had issues. I had to peen a pin on the revolver (fell out inside gun, jamming the trigger), and the PT-111 mag release causes my large hands to drop mags all the time. Would not rely on either. Well, maybe the J-Frame since I fixed it myself. This was a quality control issue, not a design flaw.

My Ruger Mark IIs, 10/22s, and LCP are totally reliable.

Maybe the new Taurus is great. Mine are all 10 years old or older. But I personally do not trust Taurus weapons for personal defense.

I'm sure the little Taurus .380s will sell really well, so we can moniter the boards for performance issues. The LCPs have proven very reliable so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    But I personally do not trust Taurus weapons for personal defense..
    Bingo.

Having owned a few Tauri in my lifetime, I can give a review of three of them. The older model Tuari did have some quality control issues. My first handgun was a Taurus .38 revolver. Never had any problems with it but I didn't have it that long. I also owned a PT-99 and a PT-111. The 99 (Beretta clone) was a GREAT gun! God I wish I hadn't sold that gun! My PT-111 however would have FTF's periodically. It is my viewpoint that the newer Taurus guns are of much better quality. Especially their Beretta 92 and 1911 clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Having owned a few Tauri in my lifetime, I can give a review of three of them. The older model Tuari did have some quality control issues. My first handgun was a Taurus .38 revolver. Never had any problems with it but I didn't have it that long. I also owned a PT-99 and a PT-111. The 99 (Beretta clone) was a GREAT gun! God I wish I hadn't sold that gun! My PT-111 however would have FTF's periodically. It is my viewpoint that the newer Taurus guns are of much better quality. Especially their Beretta 92 and 1911 clones.
    I can personally attest to the reliability of the 1911 I purchased a couple years ago. A sweet firearm, no complaints at all. My impression is that Taurus has been paying more attention to quality in recent years, so maybe that's it. (I will also admit to replacing the Taurus as my primary carry piece with a .45 XD, but it wasn't due to the quality of the Taurus.)
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Both my father and I have owned Taurus for 30 yrs, every one has performed flawlessly. I'd trust them under any conditions.
    The Most Important Thing That You Can Do In This Life, Is To Determine "WHERE" You Will "LIVE" In The Next Life.

All this proves is there is no company that builds guns especialy semi autos that is 100% perfect all the time, I'm sure the Glocks, and higher end 1911s, Kimber, Wilson Combat, and some others have there share of trouble, maybe few and far between, but still, I see some guys squawk about there $400 gun jamming or doing something screwy, now how pissed would you be if your new $2500 Wilson jammed up, now please don't post back and say Wilsons don't do that, I know better

Arrow Which 1

Well the consensus here is it's a toss up. I owned both and shot a couple hundred rounds thru each. I ended up trading the LCP in on a Ruger SR9c. The little Taurus carries nicely in its supplied camera pouch and I've not ever had a FTF or FTE from it. I also like the key lock built into it

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast