Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP - Page 4
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion Time: Taurus TCP vs. Ruger LCP

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dudeorific View Post
    And some folks are just trolls. We hashed this out before and I said I would post no more, but I can't hold back on this one. Did you ever follow up on the pic links posted by the trainer? It was done with a Taurus. We could hash it about all day long, but the big issue is preference. There are those who point out their friends Taurus pistols won't hold up to their Rugers. What about my son's Ruger .45 acp that kept breaking parts and was sent back to the factory for repairs 3 times. Finally he sold the gun as a lemon. I personally like a Ruger, but I also like a Taurus. I have Sig's and Springfields, etc. I could diss Glock for the one I own that wouldn't shoot good out of the box. After a tuneup and a match grade barrel, it became a shooter.

So, like I said, personal preference, personal preference, personal preference. Now I'll throw it back to you trolls out there to tear myself and my postings down, but won't take time to look at the facts. Good day.
    I had a Ruger P97 that every third shot the slide stop would just fling out of the gun and the slide would jam. I finally called Ruger and they replaced it but said they had never had any problem with this. If you Google it many people had trouble with it. I sold the gun at a loss and I learned that Ruger has problems like any other gun company. I bought the TCP and have had no trouble and I asked the gun club where I shoot if they have had any returns on these guns. They said they have had only one problem and that was limp wristing in one buyer, not the guns fault.

I am selling a couple of guns I own now to buy the sig p238. I really liked the way it fit in my hand and I have a mauser HSC post war I never shoot, and a Beretta 1934 I don't shoot. I would take the sig over the colt any day as they do not make the colts anymore and you are SOL if you have a problem. I have a WW2 colt and a NRM 1911 SS and love them both, but I am not brand loyal, that is a stupid way to be, Ruger does not pay my rent when I can afford to pay it so I don't owe Ruger or Colt a dime. I owe it to myself to buy the best gun I can get for my money and not to put someone else’s kids through college.

3. Fwiw

I spoke with customer service at Taurus today 11/15/2010. I mentioned that I heard the 738 has had modifications done to improve reliability. They said "Yes" and that the improved version has a serial number beginning with 6, ie 6xxxxx. So I'm getting one tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Taurus 738 Modification

Quote Originally Posted by seaswol View Post
    I spoke with customer service at Taurus today 11/15/2010. I mentioned that I heard the 738 has had modifications done to improve reliability. They said "Yes" and that the improved version has a serial number beginning with 6, ie 6xxxxx. So I'm getting one tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    As the owner of a trouble-free Taurus 738 TCP with serial number 5xxxxx, I was nevertheless curious about the "modification" claim made starting with 6xxxxx guns. So, I called Taurus CS today (11/19/2010) and was told the alteration was actually a design change in the magazines, and that 6xxxxx guns were being shipped with the new mags. Moreover, for several months all guns sent to Taurus for repair were returned to the owners with the new mags automatically included. The past problem with some guns, BTW, is/was that the mags sometimes dropped without being intentionally released. I never had that problem (nor any other), but should it ever occur, I was told Taurus will simply treplace the magazines.

I do like my Rugers.

BUT, my main concern with Taurus is the factory/customer service is in Brazil ~ Ruger's customer service and accessory dept. is in Arizona. Ruger firearms can have problem. Taurus firearms can have problems. How quick can you get the problem resolved is my concern.

To be honest, when the wife got her Ruger SP101, she narrowed it down to a stainless 38 Special Taurus with a vented barrel and the stainless Ruger .357. She did like them both, but settled on the Ruger cause she could use .38 and .357 mag in it. The Taurus was a cheaper price. Not cheap, but cheaper.

Each person should buy what they LIKE and not what other people likes. I know a fella who has carried an old chrome Raven .25 and swears it's the best weapon he ever owned. He has the right to his opinion.

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

I looked at these options and went with the Sig Sauer P238 HDW instead.

Sig Sauer P238 HDW | Sig Sauer Guns and Accessories

Products & Services

7. Quote Originally Posted by Naybor View Post
    I do like my Rugers.

BUT, my main concern with Taurus is the factory/customer service is in Brazil ~ Ruger's customer service and accessory dept. is in Arizona. Ruger firearms can have problem. Taurus firearms can have problems. How quick can you get the problem resolved is my concern.

To be honest, when the wife got her Ruger SP101, she narrowed it down to a stainless 38 Special Taurus with a vented barrel and the stainless Ruger .357. She did like them both, but settled on the Ruger cause she could use .38 and .357 mag in it. The Taurus was a cheaper price. Not cheap, but cheaper.

Each person should buy what they LIKE and not what other people likes. I know a fella who has carried an old chrome Raven .25 and swears it's the best weapon he ever owned. He has the right to his opinion.
    You do not have to send your Taurus out of country for service. They have service places in the usa, it would not be possible to send a gun out of country every time it needed to be fixed. I have shot my Taurus quite a bit and have had no problems. I even called them with a complaint about the way the gun did not have a second strike and they sent me an extra mag for free. The 238 may work for some, but first off its a SA and that does not work for me, and being left handed it is out of the running as the slide stop hits the index finger and holds open. It also was picky about what ammo it took. I sold mine and made a cool 50$ on it bought the Tarurs and have not looked back. The carrying case with the taurus also means that I don't have to worry about covering the gun, if my shirt gets pulled up it looks like a PDA case. I took the gun out and left it in the car and kept the case on and toured the Federal Reserve bank in Kansas City and they did not even raise and eyebrow when they saw the case. I think if I had on a Gun Holster it would have been a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by edteach View Post
    You do not have to send your Taurus out of country for service. They have service places in the usa, it would not be possible to send a gun out of country every time it needed to be fixed. I have shot my Taurus quite a bit and have had no problems. I even called them with a complaint about the way the gun did not have a second strike and they sent me an extra mag for free. The 238 may work for some, but first off its a SA and that does not work for me, and being left handed it is out of the running as the slide stop hits the index finger and holds open. It also was picky about what ammo it took. I sold mine and made a cool 50$ on it bought the Tarurs and have not looked back. The carrying case with the taurus also means that I don't have to worry about covering the gun, if my shirt gets pulled up it looks like a PDA case. I took the gun out and left it in the car and kept the case on and toured the Federal Reserve bank in Kansas City and they did not even raise and eyebrow when they saw the case. I think if I had on a Gun Holster it would have been a few questions.
    Thank you! I was getting ready to pounce on this one when I read it, but you beat me to the punch...
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Thanks ~ I stand corrected. I didn't know Taurus had customer service in this country.

Thanks again.

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    Thank you! I was getting ready to pounce on this one when I read it, but you beat me to the punch...
    But, but.... the guy behind the gun counter at a local gun shop said that's where the South American drug cartels get all their guns was that Taurus sells the guns returned to them in Brazil from Americans for repair. He said he read it in a report sponsored by Bloomberg based on UN research called for by Hilary Clinton. A police officer was there too and he said, "Yep, that's right!" A CCW instructor piped in too and said he wouldn't buy a Taurus either for fear it would end up in a drug dealer's hands in Mexico.

So, it's got to be true, right?!? A gun counter guy, LEO and CCW instructor all verified it!

11. Well, I bought an LCP a few weeks ago, intending to take it with me on an upcoming trip. The slide lock doesn't move, or is more difficult to move than I can manage, so I can't lock back the slide, but I don't consider that the most important thing in the world..

I've put about 150 rounds through it with no FTE, but it has balked a few times, when chambering the first round. Today I put 25 rounds of Corbon JHP through it, since I have been considering that as a defensive load. I must have had at least seven FTF problems with it, using that ammo. Forget that stuff, for now.

This has been my first crack at a DAO gun, and I can safely say that it will be my only one. The half mile of trigger travel, coupled with its miniscule size, makes accuracy a real challenge. However, in a close quarter situation, with FMJ ammo, I suppose that it's better than nothing. I'll be close to Prescott, so maybe I could drop in and have them take a look at it while I'm there.

That's just my two cents, anyway. After today's trip to the range, I'm leaning more towards packing my Charter Arms Bulldog...

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast