Im an Unarmed Secuity Guard....My Problem is...Well Read
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im an Unarmed Secuity Guard....My Problem is...Well Read

Im an Unarmed Secuity Guard....My Problem is...Well Read

I am an unarmed security guard, problem with that is, Im a security guard at a bank. The branch Im currently hasnt been robbed, well, yet. The other branches however have been robbed repeatedly. I do have a CPL, I wear a longer windbreaker jacket, and the tellers would never know Im carrying. Problem is, if I do have to detain someone [who isnt a threat with a gun or w/e] my pistol could fall out of my holster, hence getting me fired. Ive heard the saying many times "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and I have considered carrying my weapon into the bank with me. My question is, would you? I was told earlier today by a manager of my company that if a crime happens i.e robbery, Im not to stop the crime, but I am to just take notes [if Im outside in my car] and provide the details to the police. I asked myself after I was dumbfounded, "what the hell am I here for then?"
    I routinely open doors for members of the bank, refill the deposit slips, walk around the bank and look for things suspicious, and have even been told by the tellers that if someone is to rob the bank and we see them in time, Im to go behind the glass with the other employees....So, what the hell am I there for? Robbers tend to shoot the guy who they BELIEVE have a gun, and well, Im standing at the door with a smile on my face, greeting him...Am I supposed to just tuck tail and run? It goes against what I was trained in the Army, Im to always engage the suspect if I have a weapon pointed at me, or other innocent people around me....Give or take a few words...
    Back to my point and question, would YOU carry in the bank? Theres no posted signs on the building and it is not a federal institution. I could be fired if Im found to have a pistol on me, but then again, my managers carry everywhere they go, I DO have my CPL, and it is my right to defend myself. Im currently looking into getting with another security company, so that I can carry without hastle.

Im conflicted on this issue. I have NO bulletproof vest, and theyre too expensive for me to buy outright at the moment. I just believe it is ignorant to have unarmed security [and Im nothing more than a glorified door greeter anyways] I make 8.20 an hour, the marked company vehicle has been removed from my location, and all Im left with is my Red Grand Am with 2 magnets on the sides....What a deterrent right? Im basically invisible until you get to the door.....
    Should I carry concealed in the bank, or not?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

That is something only you can decide for yourself. You could lose your job. You also could lose your life. I at one time worked a coupe of different unarmed security jobs that I carried concealed. One was at a country club on the midnight shift. There were two of us and we took turns patrolling the course on a golf cart. That country club was a very lonely place at 3:00 in the morning. My philosophy for life is , "It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

f. Im currently looking into getting with another security company, so that I can carry without hastle.

Looks to me like you answered your own question, I know that pisses some people off (answering ones own question) but the truth is that finding answers is a process and not a question of right or wrong. I applaud your honesty in your question, your caught in a situation where you feel you have to chose between your moral belief and honoring the law / your companies policies. And I respect that. The best suggestion I have is that you have everyone you know tell the bank manager that they would feel more comfortable knowing that its security guards were armed.

although I have no real advise I have faith that you will find the appropriate outcome simply based on your concern to the issue.

1ofmany30 youre right, I did kind of answer my own question. I just feel like a sitting duck until the next interview comes along. But then again, someone could possibly rob the bank any day, and low and behold, I could possibly end up shot, or dead. Id have no problem running out to my vehicle and retrieving my gun, only problem is, would I make it that far? Stupid policies get people killed, Id much rather lose a job protecting myself, or others than let someone get hurt or killed.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

As a retired Armed CPO with a major International Security Company, I can tell you from experience that if you were to carry on an Unarmed Contract at all, and use your weapon, you will be fired, possibly pull some serious jail time , plus get yourself blacklisted form the private contract security industry, and lose your CCW permit. Whatever civil action is brought against you by the individuals concerned, your on your own. ALso, your "former' Company will lose that contract and pay a heavy fine to the State Licensing Board. I've been there, take my word, do like your Supervisor tells you while you look for another site to work, or change Companies...
    It is obvious from the advise of the other two replies that these two gentlemen have never worked contract security!
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

"and that my friend is a choice that is entirely up to you."

Most States regulate the Security Industry, not sure about MI. BUT not only the Life/Death issue raises great concern but the Legal ramifications of you discharging you fire arm in your defense while on a job that you are suppose to protect "UNARMED". Not a good position to be in. I would ask for a separate assignment while your prospects of a new job pan out. Try Armored Courier if your Ex-Mil with a decent credit background. Good Luck!

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

You may want to seriously consider finding another job ASAP. As far as carrying on the job, laws vary from state to state. At minimum, you could lose your job. Worse case scenario, you'll be going to court and may face jail time.

Keep your eyes open for other employment opportunities. The current situation you're in doesn't sound like something you feel like doing long term.

BTW, there are "bullet resistant" vests. Don't know of anyone who makes a "bullet proof" vest.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I didnt think that carrying a firearm would be such a problem, especially with the law. I think for now Ill just leave my firearm in my car, being I use it at work, they cant tell me that I was wrong for going to my vehicle for protection. If they approach my car with me in it, I believe Id be well within my rights to open fire if needed.
    Im hoping that Ill be able to start with this new company. The company Im with I will differently not stay with. I mean, what am I supposed to do if someone comes in with a gun? Show them my belt and HOPE they dont kill me? Well, either way, my company wont look much better now than they did when our client got robbed last time with one of our guards there. Luckily they just put the gun in his face and told him not to follow... Unarmed guards at banks is NOT the smartest idea....Oh well....

10. I would carry. In the same instance... I would not try to stop any crimes. I would hide. The only time I would use my firearm is if I was threatened.

This is only what I would do.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    As a retired Armed CPO with a major International Security Company, I can tell you from experience that if you were to carry on an Unarmed Contract at all, and use your weapon, you will be fired, possibly pull some serious jail time , plus get yourself blacklisted form the private contract security industry, and lose your CCW permit. Whatever civil action is brought against you by the individuals concerned, your on your own. ALso, your "former' Company will lose that contract and pay a heavy fine to the State Licensing Board. I've been there, take my word, do like your Supervisor tells you while you look for another site to work, or change Companies...
    It is obvious from the advise of the other two replies that these two gentlemen have never worked contract security!
    I beg to differ I have worked contract security and also several years in law enforcement however as I said before one has to decide what he is most afraid of/concerned for. No one can answer that for another. If you feel comfortable not being armed then that is the way to go. If you fear for your life then do what you think you need to do. Your employer will not raise your kids if you are killed. As I said before "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6". That is my motto. Everyone else will have to chose for themselves.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast