Motorcycle carry - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle carry

When I'm on my Busa the normal load in a taurus 738 (380) in a ankle rig very easy to pull, and ether the G-27 or G-36 in pocket, and when we are both on the Harley my much better half also has another T-738 on her ankle and a 709 in a SOB holster, and just for good measure my G -21 in the trunk pack, now if we are going to the range everthing goes, I have two full laptop cases

3. Smile

Has anyone figured out how to protect your concealed carry weapon in the rain?

Its hard enough doing a one legged dance trying to get into my rain gear, but now I have to figure out how to keep my weapon dry.

I have a couple of options..
    1- I have Saddle bags made of PVC, so they are pretty water tight.
    2- I have a tank bag, and IF it's with me, I throw it into the top pocket (I have a rain cover that goes over it).

Otherwise - You're probably looking at bringing a Zip Lock back with you..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Quote Originally Posted by Shoegoo View Post

Its hard enough doing a one legged dance trying to get into my rain gear, but now I have to figure out how to keep my weapon dry.
    If its a Glock dont worry, it wont hurt to get it wet, I did a ck one time we were caught in a real downpour, no rain gear, got home, got off the bike, and popped my target 3 or 4 times, [still raining], i did clean it afterward, but the gun did not care a bit that it was wet, can not speak about any others, but I would bet most guns would shoot fine if caught in the rain, just be sure its cleaned and oiled afterward

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post

You carry two 9mm's on a bike? Expecting an attack by blood thirsty savages?
    With a bike, one can get out of harms way in a hurry. However, one is not in protected by glass and steel as in truck, or car. Any data, nationwide, how many motorcylists are mugged in a year?
    Actually, on a bike, you are not protected anywhere near as well as in a car, where you can roll up windows and lock doors. Sometimes traffic and stop lights dictate that you have not much of an escape route. So you are sitting there like a "sitting duck", so to speak. It's very easy for someone to accost you when you are sitting at a light.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoegoo View Post

Most modern guns will fire wet. I carry a USP9 Compact so I know it will fire, but most handguns will fire. Revolvers maybe not, but more than likely it shouldn't be a problem.

P.S. I'm not a gunsmith or a seller of guns. My whole family is police that is where my experience comes from. I am more than likely wrong on some items but from my experience this is what I know.

I took my jacket in to a leather shop, and had them install a custom "hidden" pocket on the inside, to put my XD in. It only cost like $30 or so. I dont have any printing issues. Plus, since its customized... you cannot tell by the style of jacket that it has a concealed pocket.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Quote Originally Posted by dobleceroseite View Post
    Most modern guns will fire wet. I carry a USP9 Compact so I know it will fire, but most handguns will fire. Revolvers maybe not, but more than likely it shouldn't be a problem.

P.S. I'm not a gunsmith or a seller of guns. My whole family is police that is where my experience comes from. I am more than likely wrong on some items but from my experience this is what I know.
    As a former LEO who has jumped into pools, rolled into wet ditches, directed traffic and worked accidents in the rain, I can assure you that any quality pistol and revolver with quality ammo, will work when wet. I jumped into a pool in chest deep water to pull out a drowning kid, while wearing a revolver. I worked a flood and had to wade through water with my Colt 1911 underwater for several minutes. I also trained in a SWAT School where running and crawling through a creek and and carrying my gear through water was part of the days obstacle course and shooting course. In ALL of those situations, I later test fired my handgun, and in the SWAT School, we had to go to shooting drills after the water and were not allowed to clean our guns until later that evening. Never had a misfire from gun or ammo.

The Navy SEALs and Marine Recon Units scuba dive from a water drop to their beach entry location with their rifles, pistols and sub guns. They don't ziplock everything that shoots. They might need it while in comming out of the water. The key here is maintenance and care. I was taught in one SWAT Schools by a former Recon guy who gave us the formula. They would feild strip their guns, and let them lay in the sun and heat up, thus opening the pores in the steel. They would coat them with Break Free CLP, and let them stay in the sun for a while then put the gun back together and wipe it down. They never had rust or damage, even in salt water. He said on cool days or days with no sun, they would warm the gun with a hair dryer. Same effect. In fact we would do this in the hotel rooms at night after a day of shooting and obstacle courses. Warm the steel with a blow dryer and wipe down with Break Free gun oil. Slap it back together and relax.

For those of us who don't swim with our guns, simply make sure your pistol or revolver is well lubed, clean and wiped down with a good quality gun oil. When your gun gets wet, feild strip, clean and wipe down at your first chance. It will be fine. One last thing. I have met several gun guys who would re-blue their gun if it had the slightest smudge. They expect their gun to stay spotless and perfect even though they carry and use the gun. If you are one of those, then leave it at home. Carry Guns, lose blueing, get scratched, get minor rust spots from sweat, and get holster wear. That's because the gun gets used. Try looking at a cops gun after about 4 years on the street and range. My main concealed carry guns have almost half of the finish, with a few nicks and dings. It happens. Your gun will get wet, from water or sweat. Get used to it, and just take care of it, so it goes bang when you pull the trigger. If you want a pretty gun, hang it on the wall in a glass case.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

11. 1911 headbanger,

This is all good information.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast