What caliber is your primary carry gun? - Page 12

View Poll Results: What caliber is your primary carry gun?

Voters
377. You may not vote on this poll

25 6.63%
  • 9mm

94 24.93%
  • 10mm

4 1.06%
  • .38 special

18 4.77%
  • .357 mag

15 3.98%
  • .357 sig

9 2.39%
  • .40 S&W

71 18.83%
  • .45 acp

129 34.22%
  • .454 Casull/.45 Colt

0 0%
  • Other

12 3.18%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What caliber is your primary carry gun?

JSDinTexas Guest

This is NOT a caliber discussion

I do not want to get into a caliber discussion, but I am surprised that over a third of the answers point to the .45 acp. Why?

I am looking at a .40 (probably G23) with maybe 165 grain JHP.

I guess my question is tied to my perception that the .45 is too much, that will go thru and keep going somewhere I don't want it too (in Texas there is an innocent 3rd party responsibility).

Obviously, I want to stop the illegal force perpetrated against me, and would not use a .32 or some small caliber like that on the street. Still, I don't want my round going 3 blocks after it leaves the bad guy.

Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    I do not want to get into a caliber discussion, but I am surprised that over a third of the answers point to the .45 acp. Why?

I am looking at a .40 (probably G23) with maybe 165 grain JHP.

I guess my question is tied to my perception that the .45 is too much, that will go thru and keep going somewhere I don't want it too (in Texas there is an innocent 3rd party responsibility).

Obviously, I want to stop the illegal force perpetrated against me, and would not use a .32 or some small caliber like that on the street. Still, I don't want my round going 3 blocks after it leaves the bad guy.

Comments?
    I am by no means an expert on ballistics, but my understanding is that your .40 is gonna "go thru and keep going" more than my .45. I expect to be corrected if I'm wrong...

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    I am by no means an expert on ballistics, but my understanding is that your .40 is gonna "go thru and keep going" more than my .45. I expect to be corrected if I'm wrong...
    Yeah, I hear ya - but I am considering that the .40 JHP will not have as much penetration as a FMJ and that the .45 FMJ or JHP will keep going.

Let me add that what I am going for is about 12" of penetration and taking into account some possible layers of clothing.

And let me qualify : I am talking civilian concealed not LEO open carry or duty weapons. AND I am interested in the fact that #2 is the 9mm, which I have also considered for carry. So maybe I am misguided by answers that may be service or duty firearms.

I never carry with FMJ. I carry using personal defense loads designed to limit that possibility as much as possible. I have them for both the 9 and the 45.

Thumbs up Carry weapon

Howdy all! Mine was (and still is) a satin nickel Colt Combat Commander, in 45 acp, with my own 230 jhp handloads . Bought it brandy new in 1980 for the princely sum of $380 something Although I have others, this one is still my baby!

Y'all take care.

All of my serious handguns are Glock 9mms of various sizes and S&W J frame .38s.

Currently off-duty I carry a Glock 19 and a S&W 642.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya - but I am considering that the .40 JHP will not have as much penetration as a FMJ and that the .45 FMJ or JHP will keep going.

Let me add that what I am going for is about 12" of penetration and taking into account some possible layers of clothing.

And let me qualify : I am talking civilian concealed not LEO open carry or duty weapons. AND I am interested in the fact that #2 is the 9mm, which I have also considered for carry. So maybe I am misguided by answers that may be service or duty firearms.
    Though personal tests I have found when shooting layers of wallboard, the standard 180gr 40 FMJ go's further than 45 230gr FMJ, the 45 makes a bigger mess but the 40 went further into the wallboard have not tested JHP, the way I was doing it really made a mess in the basement

Personaly, I sometimes carry one of each

All of the service caliber newer style JHPs give about the same penetration in gelatin, and all of them also give about the same penetration through wallboard as ball ammo.

If I was worried about minimizing penetration through barriers I would go with the Federal EFMJ ammo, it expands in both gelatin and wallboard, JHPs plug up in wallboard and act like a FMJ bullet.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112