What made you get your CCW?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you get your CCW?

What made you get your CCW?

Just wondering what event lead to most, if not all of you to get your CCWs? Mine happened a couple years ago, I was walking to the store just a mile down the road from my house, which was a routine, did it every night. Then before I got there a car pulled into the New Green laundry mat, it was dark, probably close to 11pm, so I paused my CD player and put my phone in my pocket.
    I got to the speed limit sign which was right at the entry to the New Green. A guy asks me "Are you Terry Schott?" I said yes, and before I know what was happening 8 guys started hitting me, kicking me and pretty much just kicking my ass. The light just a quarter mile must have turned green, or cars must have been coming, because after lasting through 10 minutes of the beating from the 8 guys they all jumped in their ONE car, and sped out of there.
    I was needless to say a bit disorientated for just a couple moments. As soon as I had gotten a grasp of what just happened I called the police. Within a couple of minutes the police showed up and I told them what had happened. They took their report and checked me for any broken bones or any other injuries and took some pictures.

I told them who they were, I knew at least 2 of them, the others must have just wanted to kick someones ass the night, no matter how it was going to go down.....
    All I was really mad about was the fact they stole my CD player and my favorite CD. I figured there would be an arrest made, but nothing came of it for a couple of weeks.
    Finally I called the police department and they put me through to the detective on the case...The incident happened in February and it was now mid March, the detective told me at the time of my assault they did some follow up interviews, all of them said they had nothing to do with it, and knew nothing about it [funny because I remembered their faces and knew who they were, one claimed I slept with his hot GF, the other said I broke into his car and stole 3,000 Ill let you figure out what one I had done, but they were not together at the time I was with her lol]
    Anyways, they said I was assault number 987 or something of the sort, and they would follow up the investigation being I wanted to press charges....Nothing ever came of it, I called back several more times, and never got a return phone call...

I decided I wasnt going to be a victim of any crime after that, if I was going to be out numbered, Id at least be able to defend myself in one way or another, didnt matter how many of them would have to die to kick my ass again...
    Anyhow, thats a summary of why I got mine, what is yours?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

I got mine for the following reasons, in no particular order:

1) I am a firm believer in enforcing my rights. If I have the right to carry, I'll carry.
    2) I am tired of the guns=evil mind frame. If people see good citizens carrying, that whole notion goes away.
    3) As a "note" to all government officials and police that they are just as equal as I am. The use of force is the only thing that separates us, and while carrying, the potential use of force is equalized.
    4) I travel to both Philadelphia and Reading on a fairly regular basis. I won't go to either one without a weapon.
    5) If I'm going to be a victim of a crime, my attacker is NOT going to come away unscathed. He will be just as injured or more if he chooses to start an incident. I refuse to die a violent death without offering serious resistance.

Why did I get a CHL? Basic philosophy, a freeman is armed a slave is not. Logical extension will tell the rest.

Hmmm, for me it built up through four incidents within an 8-9 month period.

1st - 3 kids from my daughters' HS were machinegunned less than a mile from my home in Rancho Cucamonga, CA for cutting a car off on the 210 one evening. 2 were killed, the driver miraculously was untouched. One guy (the driver) was killed two days later using the same automatic weapon in a carjacking/shootout with police, the second guy (shooter whose prints were on the shells found at the scene) was picked up at his apartment a couple of days afterward. I resolved to get the hell outta CA.

2nd - 2 guys in Bellingham, WA had a conversation about how enjoyable it would be bending my wife over the hood of their car and taking turns "on some of that". This was in a public parking lot with my three daughters listening.

3rd - A guy took me to task in a Walmart parking lot (also in Bellingham) because he felt I should be moving faster in the parking lot from one store to another. I had my cell open to 911 and they recorded repeated threats that he would kill me if I didn't get back to CA. Subsequently, he was put away on drug charges and assaulting a police officer when they went to his apartment to question him concerning a series of 5 road rage incidents he was involved in. The DA appreciated my willingness to testify but said he felt they already had him on drug charges and resisting so no point in risking retaliation over road rage incidents from those of us the guy had encountered.

At this point I applied for a concealed handgun license (WA).

4th - An irate parent of my daughter's BF approached me in a pizza place (Lynden, WA) and infomed me that she (mother) was angry that they could only see each other 3 times a week for dates and the rest of the time he would have to visit the home if he wished to see her. Amidst the spitting, I realized she was truly out of control so I walked around the corner and bought my first personal firearm, a Sig P-230, which I carried inside my home, particularly when answering the doorbell.

My CHL came through a couple of week's later and I have CC'd or OC'd almost continually since except for a three year stinit in Europe.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Hum Well Name says it all

Well I found out that the Local Store down the street from where i do some Partime Security, Was Robbed and without cause Clerk was shot 4 times, Lucky he is alive.

Well Sheriff Mark Pazin in his Wisdom failed to approve my CCW Start Process and took my application Fee!...

WTF

Hope i can rally some support here

DW Swauger
    Vertern USMC 28-88

7. Because all my friends were getting theirs and it's "the cool thing to do, yo." I realize now how retarded that was, but I've always had an affinity for guns. I guess I never had a solid reason to carry a gun until I moved into a somewhat shady part of town.

I got my CWP when I realized that crime is rising too fast and courts are too slow, and police aren't around to protect me. I have to do it myself. And you know the saying "Don't pick a fight with an older man. He's too old to fight. He'll just shoot you." In my case, that's true!

This one is easy. This country is turning into a very big cesspool. Between a turd in the whitehouse who is a radical, a congress that exists for themselves and no one else, a deficit that is unsustainable that will lead to economic collapse, the fact that almost half the people in this country pay no taxes and many of them actually get money for doing nothing as entitlements, millions of illegals now seem to run this country's agenda with the support of our turd leaders, and a political system that is following a fascist path similar to germany in the 30s; if I do not protect myself and my family there is no one who will---I will not be a sheep like the jews in germany who thought nothing was wrong--after all they were germans.

10. Why?

I have been enjoying shooting with friends over the past year and a couple were CCH holders. I was mildly interested, but not very interested in the hassle of finding a class, spending the day in training, going to get fingerprinted to send in the app, etc. I have been training in Martial Arts for a very long time, and am not too concerned about handling most situations. But one day, I had a wake up call. I was driving along the highway right in the center of town, and all of a sudden there was a loud ping on the side of my car. When I got home, I found an obvious .22 caliber dent in the door pillar, head height about three inches behind the window. I'm sure it was a random action -- there is no reason anyone would be after me. There is just too much craziness out there.

[QUOTE=CharlieW;134115]I have been enjoying shooting with friends over the past year and a couple were CCH holders. I was mildly interested, but not very interested in the hassle of finding a class, spending the day in training, going to get fingerprinted to send in the app, etc. I have been training in Martial Arts for a very long time, and am not too concerned about handling most situations. But one day, I had a wake up call. I was driving along the highway right in the center of town, and all of a sudden there was a loud ping on the side of my car. When I got home, I found an obvious .22 caliber dent in the door pillar, head height about three inches behind the window. I'm sure it was a random action -- there is no reason anyone would be after me. There is just too much craziness out there.[/Q

Think maybe it was a case of mistaken identity?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast