Assault rifle survey - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assault rifle survey

I for one must be honest. I do not have any weapons with a slector switch on them so no I do not have any assualt weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    My personal preference is toward the .308 round, because of the power of the 30 caliber cartridges and availablity of the ammunition and the variety. I also tend to lean towards firearms that I will have in my home if TSHTF. In other words, ammo availability for the 6.8 will be almost nill, unless you are set up to reload in large quantities or have purchased several cases at that time.. But there will be plenty of 5.56 and 7.62x39 and 308 in the streets or in the market. Same thing with Handguns. That's precisely the reason why I do not put a great deal of emphasis on non-popular calibers for handguns that I intend to keep, such as 45GAP, or 10mm. Good cartridges, but limited supply. Brief example is a friend who was away from home during 9/11 like I was. He had a 10 mm pistol and one magazine. He was concerned about what might be happening and tried to purchase 10mm ammo and a couple of extra mags. It was a no go. He couldn't find them anywhere. He did however say there was plenty of 45 ACP, 9mm, 40 S&W, 38 sp. 357 mag, etc.

I also do not put too much stock in people telling me the 5.56/.223 is not a good round for anti-personnel duty. The primary reason for recent reports of the 5.56's poor stopping performance, was because soldiers in the sand box were being issued M4 carbines with 14" barrels and the 68, 72 and 75 grain bullet rounds. The .223 gets it's stopping power from the shear velocity and damage caused by the lighter weight bullets. In fact, as soon as many soldiers were issued the older 55grain bullets, the complaints stopped. Also many of the Marines were still shooting the 20" barrel infantry rifles and had no complaints. When you cut barrel length, you cut performance, then you add heavier bullets and you start having problems with low velocity. I've seen the damage caused by 55 grainers and have no doubt as to what they are capable of doing. As a close to moderate range rifle within about 200 yards, it performs very well.

If I was strictly punching paper or hunting and was willing to walk away from the gun when troubled times come, then that's different. But the guns I plan to have and hold for good, will be the more popular calibers.That's another reason why I think everyone should own a 30-30 and a 22 rifle. You can find it in any Mom and Pop store, hardware store, and some gas stations.
    Police here locally shot a man recently that pointed a gun at them with AR-15s, multiple times and he survived.

If they had been 7.62, nato or russian, or many other larger calibers, he would have died.

The .223 is capable of producing death but only if the target is hit properly, it's a varmint round, a .22 on steroids.

I would also have to go with 7.62/308 because it has been around longer and ammo might be easier to come by.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I was told that the 6.8 SPC has 80% of the stopping power of a .308 with only 40% of the felt recoil. My choice was 6.8 SPC.
    I also own two other black rifles chambered in 5.56. Wait one is OD green not black.

7.62x 54r will rock your world

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBlackjack View Post
    I was told that the 6.8 SPC has 80% of the stopping power of a .308 with only 40% of the felt recoil. My choice was 6.8 SPC.
    I also own two other black rifles chambered in 5.56. Wait one is OD green not black.
    You forgot to mention 20% of the AVAILABILITY.

I'll stand by my FAL-variant in 7.62

Well said 1911HB. A shread of common sense answearing the darn question.

Reshearching this very question myself the past couple of years, I went with a decent 16" 5.56 AR15 for starters, mostly due to HB's logic of staying with a caliber that could be found most easily. My second procurement was for CQB scenarios, ending with a Sig 556 SWAT pistol (10.5") with an AAC M4-2000 can on it. And third, considering versatility of multiple calibers, an LMT MRP gas piston 16" 5.56 and will be getting an additional barrel/bolt/mag kit in 6.8, which will take most game in this country.

I agree with HB about the .30 ammo as common fodder and others about .308 capabilities, but I had to consider just what my needs are first before possibly investing in a quality .308. Another consideration about .308s is if you have to be on the move, they are going to get heavy fast, well at least for my 50yo butt. And don't forget about stocking ammo for any gun you see as a tool. You should end up spending aLOT more clams on quality ammo, sealed with dessicant in steel ammo cans. Just in 5.56 I have 3k of Hornady 75gr TAP T2, and that's right about $3k, plus lots more k of lesser quality. BUT, that's just me and may or may not apply to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Police here locally shot a man recently that pointed a gun at them with AR-15s, multiple times and he survived.

If they had been 7.62, nato or russian, or many other larger calibers, he would have died.

The .223 is capable of producing death but only if the target is hit properly, it's a varmint round, a .22 on steroids.
    It's easy to come up with stories of how certain calibers fail. All calibers fail at some point, with maybe the exception of the 50 BMG. And then, there were many survivors in WWII that had limbs blown off by the 50 and lived to tell about it.
    The 223 has worked in combat. Is it the Ultimate round. Probably not. Is it the worst, definitely not. As you mention a 22 on steroids, this is a 22 with 55 grains flying through the air at over 3000 feet per second. Not exactly Grandpaws coon rifle on steroids. As a former Paramedic and retired Cop, I've seen more than my share of gunshot wound victims. Living and Dead. It depends on the individual, the shot placement, the condition of the individual and circumstances.

I've seen big men hit once in the chest with a 25 auto and collapse like a rag doll. I've seen guys hit several times with a 44 mag and walk out to meet the ambulance. So lesson being here, would tell you that the 25 auto is an excellent combat cartridge, but the 44 mag isn't squat, right? I personally believe the 308 Nato round and the 7.62 x39 are excellent combat rounds, but the foot soldier can carry more ammo and gear with a 223, and still use a reliable, effective weapon. It has done more than it's fair share of damage over the years.

One last thing about the cops in your area, shooting the bad guy. Most Police agencies carry low penetration type ammo. That is because they do not want to be a hazard to innocent bystanders. Imagine the average cops out there with several 308's busting loose in the middle of town with about 30 308 rounds. Can you say "mass casualties" on playgrounds, homes and shopping centers a 1/2 mile away? Or a little old lady driving in the area getting smoke poled as she drives the Cadi to church?
    There are alot more factors at work here than just somebody not dying when shot by the 223. But there are alot of dead and damaged people from the 223 cartridge over the years in Law Enforcement and the military. It will work, but as with all cartridges, it takes a shooter to do it. I personally have seen the 223 work and work well. It makes a decent close combat cartridge.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123