The most neglected part.....

View Poll Results: Do you ever dissemble your mag and clean it?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

21 18.92%
  • Occasionally

85 76.58%
  • Uh Oh, Be right back....

6 5.41%
  • What mag I have a wheel gun...

3 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The most neglected part.....

Question The most neglected part.....

Of almost any semi auto.....
    Short version I am anal about my CC gun being clean, I pull a full take down weekly with daily inspection and mag checks..... So I am up in the gun room doing my weekly and I decide to unload the mag for a round check... As I slide out the rounds, Humm kind of sticky feeling....
    So I take apart my mag for a closer look.... heaps of fine dust have coated the spring and the inside walls, so I clean it and do a wipe down of everything with a very light oil, works like new....
    Had I needed the gun that could have easily been a FTF..... now averted.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

I don't specifically clean them, but I do inspect them. While cleaning and inspecting my CCW I'll take an empty magazine and use a tool to slide the follower in the mag. I'm looking for any binding, rough spots, etc. If I think there's a problem I'l deal with it.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Not as often in the winter as in summer. Sweaty ol phat bodies are had on metal parts.......
    Semper Fi

I blow mine out with a compressor and occasionally I do clean them. It all depends on the environmental conditions when I use them.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I too do it more in the summer months or anytime I feel that they may be especially dirty like after a lot of shooting.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

7. I disassemble mags once every blue moon. Mostly because I discovered that they really don't get dirty enough to bother with doing it more regularly. The ones in use for concealed carry are either in the gun or in a mag pouch so it ain't like they are readily accessible to dirt, dust bunnies or other grime. Mags that are in storage are more likely to collect dust bunnies and such. Wilson mags are the worse about collecting dirt since they have those big windows in the sides of the mags.

I was taught to NEVER oil mags. The 'light' coating of oil will hold any dust or dirt in place- exactly where you don't want it.

If I have some that get really gunked up (like those used in a match that were repeatedly dropped in the dirt), I disassemble and clean them out, then degrease them and reassemble.

I try to disassemble my mags at least 3times a year usually every 4 months or so, but depends on amount of usage. Excellent Post though. We sometimes overlook the little things like mags. that in turn could be an bad thing so thanks for the new education..

It comes down to the amount of shooting I do. My .22 mags get more use lately due to cost of ammo. .22 ammo is also dirty so I try to keep them clean. I shoot 1st and 3rd Monday night of every month in a league so once per month for those. The rest are based on round count so it's been kinda low the past few weeks.
    Ammo prices have gone up at Wal-Mart and I have to drive to a few to find what I'm looking for like .40S&W, .45ACP, .223 REM. I gave up on the .38 and .357 as it's gotten way to expensive. I have some reloaded .38spec that I got from a friend, about 300 rounds of that left. 200 or so rounds of .357 left.

Anyway back to the mags.. It's not that big an issue to slide the floor plate off and pull a rag through it once in a while.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I've never had a mag get dirty regardless of how much I shoot them, lucky I guess. I will disassemble every so often just to run a silicon cloth through them, works for me.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    It comes down to the amount of shooting I do. My .22 mags get more use lately due to cost of ammo. .22 ammo is also dirty so I try to keep them clean. I shoot 1st and 3rd Monday night of every month in a league so once per month for those. The rest are based on round count so it's been kinda low the past few weeks.
    Ammo prices have gone up at Wal-Mart and I have to drive to a few to find what I'm looking for like .40S&W, .45ACP, .223 REM. I gave up on the .38 and .357 as it's gotten way to expensive. I have some reloaded .38spec that I got from a friend, about 300 rounds of that left. 200 or so rounds of .357 left.

Anyway back to the mags.. It's not that big an issue to slide the floor plate off and pull a rag through it once in a while.

Peace...
    Have you been checking the net for ammo? I've loaded up on a ton of.38spl. & .357 premium ammo on line, and at prices just as good as Wal-Mart USED to charge.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast