How do I ease her mind.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I ease her mind.

How do I ease her mind.

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post, couldnt seem to find the introduce yourself topic, and I have been reading here for a few days. First off I live in Mass, I dont have a ltc yet, but am in the process of finding and taking my class so I can apply. I have been around guns my whole life, plan on getting one soon, but face the little problem of the girl being scared and nervous. I have tried to ease her mind, but no luck.. what can I do to get her not so afraid? I know I am not the only one who has to deal with this.. Thanks in advance..

3. Don't try. Keep your gun(s), don't bring them up, be polite and respectful and wait for her to approach you about it. Then it will be on her time and not offensive.

If she's truly an anti, reason won't work. Just quietly go about your business, keep your guns, and wait for her. If you lose her over this, goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
    Don't try. Keep your gun(s), don't bring them up, be polite and respectful and wait for her to approach you about it. Then it will be on her time and not offensive.

If she's truly an anti, reason won't work. Just quietly go about your business, keep your guns, and wait for her. If you lose her over this, goodbye.
    What he said.
    Curt Lovelace
    Bible believing, gun toting pastor
    Acton, Maine

Some people are convinced that firearms will discharge on their own. Some think firearms are evil.
    Find a trap range. Usually on sundays, its a family affair. Go shoot a round or two, you and her talk to some of the people.
    If you buy a pistol, at first keep it locked down tiight.
    Get more then the minimum training, and put your certificates in a scrap book for your wife to browse.
    Go slow, don't spend a great deal of time on the subject.
    After awhile, take her to a range, just to watch you, and others shoot.
    Hopefully, indoors where she won't hear the loud reports behind the glass.
    What ever you do, don't push.

Ask questions on here or other websites. At first stay out of the politics, and God. Those two subjects seem to bring out the wingnuts.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Some people are convinced that firearms will discharge on their own. Some think firearms are evil.
    Find a trap range. Usually on sundays, its a family affair. Go shoot a round or two, you and her talk to some of the people.
    If you buy a pistol, at first keep it locked down tiight.
    Get more then the minimum training, and put your certificates in a scrap book for your wife to browse.
    Go slow, don't spend a great deal of time on the subject.
    After awhile, take her to a range, just to watch you, and others shoot.
    Hopefully, indoors where she won't hear the loud reports behind the glass.
    What ever you do, don't push.

Ask questions on here or other websites. At first stay out of the politics, and God. Those two subjects seem to bring out the wingnuts.
    At first stay out of the politics, and God. Those two subjects seem to bring out the wingnuts.
    I knew if we waited long enough we would find something we agreed on
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by dmelectrician View Post
    Hi everyone,
    This is my first post, couldnt seem to find the introduce yourself topic, and I have been reading here for a few days. First off I live in Mass, I dont have a ltc yet, but am in the process of finding and taking my class so I can apply. I have been around guns my whole life, plan on getting one soon, but face the little problem of the girl being scared and nervous. I have tried to ease her mind, but no luck.. what can I do to get her not so afraid? I know I am not the only one who has to deal with this.. Thanks in advance..
    You might want to sit & just ask her point blank what is it that scares her about it? Maybe theres something in her pass with a ex or maybe in her childhood! Things like that don't ever really go away.Might be things shes not told you about since up to now having a weapon wasn't an issue!
    If that might be the case,, Then thats when you need to reassue her.Like others have said go slow. Don't get upset,that forsure won't help you at all! It will just reinforce her side & feelings about it!
    Then you need to sit with her & explain the reasons why you feel the need to have one & a permit to carry it!
    Just maybe after a while you can get her to go the range,watch you shoot! Hopefully there will be some women there! Better yet go on Ladies Nite! For sure there will be Hubbys/ Boyfriends with their ladies there,,, It won't happen over nite but it might down the road aways!
    Good Luck,,

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post

Wingnut reporting for duty.
    Curt Lovelace
    Bible believing, gun toting pastor
    Acton, Maine

9. Iceman and HK, I'd amend what you said. It's not that you have to stay out of God and politics, it's that you have to wait for her to bring it up, so it's on her time and not offensive. Answer honestly and let it go. If she wants more, she'll let you know; if not, you don't need to bring it up.

Important bottom line is I can't tell you what is right for you, only what has worked for me, your mileage will vary. Some of the things I believe are wrong. Hope to figure some of them out. I cannot tell you what is right for you, only what has worked for me :)

Thanks for the replies. Im probably gonna take the slow approach with her, she isnt totally against it, just scared. .. Thanks again.

My girl was uneasy about firearms being in our home. That was short lived once i made her watch an episode of "I survived". This show is a great eye openerto the ignorent

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast