Marlin 444 back from the factory today

Thread: Marlin 444 back from the factory today

1. Marlin 444 back from the factory today

My Marlin .444 was a jamming machine and I recently called the company. They sent me a UPS slip, payed to pick it up and it came back today less than two weeks from the day I dropped it off at the UPS store.

The invoice states they replaced the carrier,new spring and polished some of the internal gizzards on it. It feels smooth. Can't wait to get out and see how it faired. It is an easy gun to shoot since I added 1.5 pounds to the stock with melted lead and have a Limbsaver on it as well. From what I have heard from other Marlin owners, the work at the factory was always well done. The action never felt a smooth as it is today, so hopefully I finally have a winner with this rifle that will be my main bear protection. At 3000 ft-pds of muzzle energy with Buffalo Bore 334 gr bullets, it is a very formidable bear stopper with only the recoil of a 20 ga. In fact, it is nearly double the killing power of a 454 Casull.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska444 View Post
    My Marlin .444 was a jamming machine and I recently called the company. They sent me a UPS slip, payed to pick it up and it came back today less than two weeks from the day I dropped it off at the UPS store.

The invoice states they replaced the carrier,new spring and polished some of the internal gizzards on it. It feels smooth. Can't wait to get out and see how it faired. It is an easy gun to shoot since I added 1.5 pounds to the stock with melted lead and have a Limbsaver on it as well. From what I have heard from other Marlin owners, the work at the factory was always well done. The action never felt a smooth as it is today, so hopefully I finally have a winner with this rifle that will be my main bear protection. At 3000 ft-pds of muzzle energy with Buffalo Bore 334 gr bullets, it is a very formidable bear stopper with only the recoil of a 20 ga. In fact, it is nearly double the killing power of a 454 Casull.
    Great rifle. The Limbsaver makes a big difference, I've got one on my Winchester 30/30 and love it. With the extra weight in the stock and the 22" barrel it should have a nice balance. Yea, 1-1/2 tons of muzzle energy should be a good bear tamer.
    The Most Important Thing That You Can Do In This Life, Is To Determine "WHERE" You Will "LIVE" In The Next Life.

Glad you got it fixed! My Marlin 444 is one of my favorite lever actions.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

The .444 just sounds cool. I have seen the performce on this round and it ain't no slouch.

When I deer hunted last, I used a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. The shot was about 40 yards, and I saw the round hit the doe. The doe went down hard!!. No meat was ruined, and the deer didn't know what hit her. This is what I wanted. No suffering what so ever.

I am a little confused about the limb saver, and the molten lead.

My Marlin does have a bit of recoil, but I prepare for that.

What do you think of the Marlin in 480? On paper it looks better then the 45/70.

6. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    The .444 just sounds cool. I have seen the performce on this round and it ain't no slouch.

When I deer hunted last, I used a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. The shot was about 40 yards, and I saw the round hit the doe. The doe went down hard!!. No meat was ruined, and the deer didn't know what hit her. This is what I wanted. No suffering what so ever.

I am a little confused about the limb saver, and the molten lead.

My Marlin does have a bit of recoil, but I prepare for that.

What do you think of the Marlin in 480? On paper it looks better then the 45/70.
    Dear Iceman, they drilled a bore hole in the stock to put the moltenn lead, then put a plate and the Limbsaver on. I put a Kick Killer on top of that to help protect the soft Limbsaver and add a little bit more. It feels like a 20 ga with target shot in it. Really nothing much at all, but the rifle weighs in now at over 9 pounds. With a good sling, it doesn't bother me at all to carry it. People like all of these light weight cannons but don't like the recoil. I would rather carry the extra 1.5 pounds than put up with the heavy recoil. Just my preference.

The 450 is a high powered 45/70 round that I believe is belted or something to that effect. Can't recall the actual differnce, but you can't shoot the 450 rounds in a 45/70 or vice versa. It shakes the shoulder quite a bit more than I would want at this point as well. The .444 will get the job done with the right shot placement which is really the key to woods defense anyway.