Is It Worth Joining the NRA? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It Worth Joining the NRA?

They may not be quite as no compromise, in your face as some of the others but they are still the biggest kid on the block. So I would say yes and if you can afford it join some of the others also.

Last edited by lukem; 05-31-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
    I usually get pretty pissy with gun owners who don't belong to the NRA. I try to stay calm and impress upon them that we members are doing all the heavy lifting for those who enjoy their rights but are not members. Out of the millions and millions (If I'm right, I think the estimate is 80 million gun owners in the US now) only 4 million or so are NRA members! Shameful.
    I'm currently an NRA member, but I'm learning about their compromise deals in fighting for our rights. Like helping to DRAFT the 1968 legislation. I think my renewal will go to GOA and JPFO.

4. The second amendment is only a small piece of the pie and one should not be blind sited of the real issues facing America.
    The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency .It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.

Question Nra

Sorry fellows, call me what you want, but after 30 years of membership I dropped my membership. What they did 10 years aga ain't what they do today. Yeh you get a discount here and there but their fundraising tactics are almost obnoxious. The top executives are fat cats and some, if not all of them are dining on Filet Mingon while alot of the membership are a bunch of camo garbed crazy's who can't afford their lot rent in the trailer park. My father was a farmer who moved to the city to work in a steel mill. Being 1/2 English and 1/2 Cherokee he had skills I wish I had paid more attention to when I was a kid. We lived in a 'diversally' populated innercity row housse and trips to my uncle's farm 4 times a year. I started shooting a .22 with my dad and older brother at the age of five. Pennsylvainia allows hunting at 12 y/o. I missed a deer the first day of the season with the 12 GA single shot rifled slug shotgun I had used for small game earier that fall. He just laughted and said 'just blame it on BUCK FEVER'. We hunted and fished every chance we got and I used to spend a month every summer on my uncle's farm [his older brother]. He came from a family of 9, he was second eldest. We spent the week end before 'Buck' season at the farm to slaugter a steer and 2 pigs but even when I got older he insisted on shooting the cow and 2 pigs with the same Marlin 22 I had till 6 months ago. It was stolen out of my locked pickup by smashing the window. It was well hidden behind the seat. I think I know who told someone where it was, but he was a 'retired cop' and I knew he was lying. I even got a private investigator to check him and a couple others out and he got nowhere. I live in the state of Florida now retired and happy. My freind asked me to go to a gun show a few miles away from Tampa and he brought his ten year old boy. The purpurpose was to buy his first gun, a .22 rifle. The place was packed and 25% were crazies with every sign and bumper sticker that would offend any sensible person. I told him it was a good idea to leave and just go to a little gunshop, run by my buddy a Veitnam Vet. We have been freinds for 30 years, he is an expert Gunsmith and I am a retired Diesel Mechanic. The NRA B-S is getting so deep you need boots to walk through it. I own about 50 firearms and several expensive Air Rifles. Quit calling me and begging for money, they are doing more harm than good. Keep a shotgun handy and the big stuff in a safe, keep your permitted carry handgun hidden, not strapped to your belt for the world to see. My Gunsmith buddy was drafted and got wounded twice in Veitnam both times by an AK 47 while depending on a thick tree for cover. It got to where the troops would shoot through whatever they depended on for cover with their M 16's knowing full well the 7.62 bullet would penetrate about anything. I joined the NAVY and was constantly deployed with MARINE EXPIDITIONARY TROOPS. So how's them onions.
    Halfbreed II

6. I joined last year to add my support to the legions that are already members. The second amendment is very important to me and is under constant attack by liberals. Please add your voice in support as well.

Remember sometimes you need to join or support something for what it stands for not what you get out of it. The bennies are nice but the truth is it is not about personal benifits. The information gathered off the ILA website itself is priceless.

Yes, it is worthwhile to join. Don't agree with every thing they support but they are really the only group watching out for gun owners. Plus you get a pretty good magazine...

9. Like helping to DRAFT the 1968 legislation. Tell me more.

Bill

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Like helping to DRAFT the 1968 legislation. Tell me more.

Bill
    From the JPFO Archives:

NRA Supported the National Firearms Act of 1934
    <Please read the full text, but here's an excerpt>
    <As the Gun Control Act of 1968 was nearing the President's desk, NRA was being accused by Senator Robert Kennedy (D-NY) of not supporting "any legislation to try and control the misuse of rifles and pistols in this country." Naturally, NRA needed to respond to the allegation, and they responded with great detail and unusual candor.

To deflect Senator Kennedy's assertion, NRA published an article by their magazine's Associate Editor entitled "WHERE THE NRA STANDS ON GUN LEGISLATION" — elaborating at length about NRA's longstanding support for a wide variety of gun controls that included gun and gunowner registration, waiting periods, age restrictions, licenses for carrying a firearm or having a firearm in your vehicle, increased penalties for violating gun laws, regulating ammunition and more.

Following are several telling quotes from the March 1968 American Rifleman — NRA's premier magazine, then and now — and brief analysis of a few of them. The complete article from which these quotes were taken can be found further below. Scanned images of this article are also linked below.
    <snipped>
    In order to "put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts," NRA management also pressed the federal government, in 1968, to:

"Regulate the movement of handguns in interstate and foreign commerce by:

"A. requiring a sworn statement, containing certain information, from the purchaser to the seller for the receipt of a handgun in interstate commerce;"

That's a registration list.

"B. providing for notification of local police of prospective sales;"

That's another registration mechanism.

"C. requiring an additional 7-day waiting period by the seller after receipt of acknowledgement of notification to local police;"

Wait a week to exercise your inalienable rights.>

Here are some other good ones that do a good job of fighting for our rights.

Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership - Homepage
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation Online
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast