Federal Hydra-Shock Ammo - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Federal Hydra-Shock Ammo

  1. what I would like is a round that recoiles like a typical target round and is safe for drywall. The overpenetration of the hydrashock scares me.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

  2.   
  3. #22

    Federal Website Info

    Hydra-Shok® JHP



    The choice of law enforcement agencies nationwide, Federal's unique center-post design delivers controlled expansion and the notched jacket provides efficient energy transfer to penetrate barriers while retaining stopping power. The deep penetration of this jacketed bullet satisfies even the FBI's stringent testing requirements.

    Federal Premium - Handgun Ballistics

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazyzigzagger View Post
    Hydra-Shok® JHP



    The choice of law enforcement agencies nationwide, Federal's unique center-post design delivers controlled expansion and the notched jacket provides efficient energy transfer to penetrate barriers while retaining stopping power. The deep penetration of this jacketed bullet satisfies even the FBI's stringent testing requirements.

    Federal Premium - Handgun Ballistics
    THe dirty little secret about hydra-shock is that even with the post removed, they still expand as much as with the post.

    The post is at best a marketing gimmick.

    Again, repackaging old technology while they only sell the modern HST only to the LEO market.

    As if only LEO's need premium, modern ammo and common peasants can settle for last decades stuff in a new package.

    Fortunately, HST ammo still trickles into the civilian world so if you want it, it can be purchased.

    If you are a reloader, you can buy Gold-Dot bullets to stuff yourself.

    -Doc

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    THe dirty little secret about hydra-shock is that even with the post removed, they still expand as much as with the post.

    The post is at best a marketing gimmick.

    Again, repackaging old technology while they only sell the modern HST only to the LEO market.

    As if only LEO's need premium, modern ammo and common peasants can settle for last decades stuff in a new package.

    Fortunately, HST ammo still trickles into the civilian world so if you want it, it can be purchased.

    If you are a reloader, you can buy Gold-Dot bullets to stuff yourself.

    -Doc
    Doc,

    What do you think is a good ammunition for a gunfight in your home?
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

  6. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Doc,

    What do you think is a good ammunition for a gunfight in your home?
    I standardized my defense ammo to Gold-Dots.

    OK, I have a stash of HST as well for 3 calibers.

    -Doc

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    ...what I would like is a round that recoiles like a typical target round and is safe for drywall. The overpenetration of the hydrashock scares me...
    What do you think is a good ammunition for a gunfight in your home?
    2 3/4" 12 GA. #6 Bird, followed by #1 Buck.(1)

    If barrier non-penetration is what you are looking for, these premium defensive loads are not what you are looking for. A hollow point shot through drywall gets plugged up with the drywall and acts like a FMJ.(2)


    1)Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition

    2)Selecting Home Defense Ammunition | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    2 3/4" 12 GA. #6 Bird, followed by #1 Buck.(1)

    If barrier non-penetration is what you are looking for, these premium defensive loads are not what you are looking for. A hollow point shot through drywall gets plugged up with the drywall and acts like a FMJ.(2)


    1)Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition

    2)Selecting Home Defense Ammunition | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET
    Bird shot is useless for stopping bad guys.

    It is designed for little birds. It doesn't reach any of the "Off Buttons" very well at all.

    It can also penetrate drywall, although at greatly reduced velocity.

    -Doc

  9. #28
    We're getting slightly off topic, but anyway......
    I was looking around for 40 Smith a while ago and bumped into Winchester's new entry into the Home Defense Ammo.
    The first link is for 12 gauge rounds...
    http://www.winchester.com/Products/N...s/pdx1-12.aspx

    Then this round for .410's. The .410 round would work in "The Judge"
    http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx
    Semper Fi

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    The more articles and studies I have read on the subject, the more I have gotten away from traditional hollow-point ammo. It seems that it's all too easy for JHP ammo to get clogged, thereby reducing it to FMJ ammo for all intents and purposes. This is true even of Hydra-Shok.

    As a result I've gone over almost exclusively to Corbon Powerball or Hornaday Critical Defense. They're not perfect but the test results that I've seen show this type of ammo to be more reliable in terms of slug expansion. Also, this ammo pretty much eliminates the feed problems that some firearms encounter with JHP.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    The more articles and studies I have read on the subject, the more I have gotten away from traditional hollow-point ammo. It seems that it's all too easy for JHP ammo to get clogged, thereby reducing it to FMJ ammo for all intents and purposes. This is true even of Hydra-Shok.

    As a result I've gone over almost exclusively to Corbon Powerball or Hornaday Critical Defense. They're not perfect but the test results that I've seen show this type of ammo to be more reliable in terms of slug expansion. Also, this ammo pretty much eliminates the feed problems that some firearms encounter with JHP.
    Very useful information, thank you so much!

    Tim, Im interested in a 9mm and .380 defense round that will not overpenetrate. Im not so concerned with "oneshot knockdown" because If one round doesn't eliminate the threat, im reasonably sure 6 or 7 will. I would like to have some certainty that my kids or my neighbors or their kids wont be hurt through drywall by any of my rounds.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 301
    Last Post: 03-08-2015, 06:53 PM
  2. Federal HST good carry ammo?
    By Scarecrow in forum Handgun Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
  3. Another Federal ammo issue
    By festus in forum Handgun Ammunition and Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 11:39 AM
  4. Federal 12Ga. ammo issue
    By festus in forum Handgun Ammunition and Reloading
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 07:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast