Federal Hydra-Shock Ammo - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal Hydra-Shock Ammo

mm for the
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    The more articles and studies I have read on the subject, the more I have gotten away from traditional hollow-point ammo. It seems that it's all too easy for JHP ammo to get clogged, thereby reducing it to FMJ ammo for all intents and purposes. This is true even of Hydra-Shok.

As a result I've gone over almost exclusively to Corbon Powerball or Hornaday Critical Defense. They're not perfect but the test results that I've seen show this type of ammo to be more reliable in terms of slug expansion. Also, this ammo pretty much eliminates the feed problems that some firearms encounter with JHP.
    I have both of those in 9mm for the Beretta, but can not find either in stores around here in 40S/W. I have found HST (3 boxes of 50) and I like bought the XDm to Carry, so the Fed's will work for now.
    Semper Fi

3. Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    mm for the

I have both of those in 9mm for the Beretta, but can not find either in stores around here in 40S/W. I have found HST (3 boxes of 50) and I like bought the XDm to Carry, so the Fed's will work for now.
    You guys are full of useful info.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Bird shot is useless for stopping bad guys.

It is designed for little birds. It doesn't reach any of the "Off Buttons" very well at all.

It can also penetrate drywall, although at greatly reduced velocity.

-Doc
    Did you read the article? That is why the first shot of bird is followed by buck.

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Very useful information, thank you so much!

Tim, Im interested in a 9mm and .380 defense round that will not overpenetrate. Im not so concerned with "oneshot knockdown" because If one round doesn't eliminate the threat, im reasonably sure 6 or 7 will. I would like to have some certainty that my kids or my neighbors or their kids wont be hurt through drywall by any of my rounds.
    That is exactly why the premium defense rounds named above are not what you want. A hollow point plugs up with drywall and essentially becomes a FMJ. Those articles don't really give a good recommendation as to what wont go through drywall. They seemed more or less to only describe what will.

Are your 9mm and .380 compatible with all-lead rounds? I've not seen how lead performs through barriers. I'm inclined to think that they would deform on impact going into the wall and be tumbling coming out the other side, perhaps enough to no longer be lethal. Maybe I'm wrong. It's something to look into.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

5. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Did you read the article? That is why the first shot of bird is followed by buck.

That is exactly why the premium defense rounds named above are not what you want. A hollow point plugs up with drywall and essentially becomes a FMJ. Those articles don't really give a good recommendation as to what wont go through drywall. They seemed more or less to only describe what will.

Are your 9mm and .380 compatible with all-lead rounds? I've not seen how lead performs through barriers. I'm inclined to think that they would deform on impact going into the wall and be tumbling coming out the other side, perhaps enough to no longer be lethal. Maybe I'm wrong. It's something to look into.

They absolutely are. I reload and shoot lead out of them all the time. Its a ruger lcp and a smith and wesson m&p 9c.

What a great idea. Im going to look into that.
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post

I know that both HST and Gold-Dot penetrate wall material and mushroom quite nicely. In fact, they were designed to specifically work in that environment.

Both projectiles also passed the auto materials tests and still functioned quite well.

http://le.atk.com/pdf/San.pdf

Playing the bird&buck game is a poor alternative to a modern, well tested, and PROVEN bullet.

-Doc

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    I know that both HST and Gold-Dot penetrate wall material and mushroom quite nicely. In fact, they were designed to specifically work in that environment.

Both projectiles also passed the auto materials tests and still functioned quite well.

Playing the bird&buck game is a poor alternative to a modern, well tested, and PROVEN bullet.

-Doc
    Thanks Doc!
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

-Doc
    I'm not sure if you're realizing what KN is looking for. Barrier penetration is NOT desired.

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    They absolutely are. I reload and shoot lead out of them all the time. Its a ruger lcp and a smith and wesson m&p 9c.

What a great idea. Im going to look into that.
    Well, I tried a variety of searches including keywords such as "drywall", "penetration", "wadcutter", "lead", "bullet", and all I could find seemed to be second-hand re-telling of stories of .38 wadcutters and 9mm lead going through drywall. I could find no reliable sources stating that pure lead wouldn't penetrate.

One study I found showed a .223 V-max 40gr. round penetrating the first wall, but being completely fragmented upon exit, and then speckling the second wall. That was the closest thing to the best of both worlds.

As for "safety" bullets, Box o truth did a test on some of the self proclaimed "safety" bullets, and they also penetrated...ALOT. One that was not included in that test was the Mag Safe. However, they did test the Mag Safe on water to gauge soft tissue penetration, in which it performed poorly. Other than Mag Safe's own website, (which I take with a grain of salt), I couldn't find any actual studies of Mag Safe against drywall. It might be worth conducting a study of your own, but those rounds are dang expensive.

In all, it seems like bullet proofing your walls is the closest thing to a surefire way to ensure effective firepower without over penetration.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

wolfhunter Guest
    Several years ago, I read a monologue in a popular gun magazine (too long ago to remember which one) relating to this topic. The author stated the case as being 1) Small caliber results in little stopping power but no wall penetration and 2) large caliber results in lots of stopping power and high risk of wall penetration. His remedy was to hand load .44 with enough powder to give adequate soft tissue penetration. The dowels shatter on bone or most wall construction materials, and when the BG gets to the ER, they have to poke and prod to find all the splinters that won't show on x-ray.

10. Winchester perfected the Hollow Point bullet with the release of their Black talon round which has been discontinued, their updated version of this round is called the Winchester Ranger or SXT, in my opinion this round is far superior to anything else on the market.

11. Ok ladies and gentlemen... after days of research, I've decided to go with the 147 grain Federal HST for my 9mm. Its a nice heavy bullet, it moves slower than most at that caliber and penetrates the least that I can find with reliable expansion.

NOW... if anyone has any ideas where I can find some...
    Retired US Army Medic
    www.nationofshooters.com

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast