Federal Hydra-Shock Ammo - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Federal Hydra-Shock Ammo

1. I still have a good stock of.45 hydra-shoks and feel just fine in carrying them. I usually carry gold dots for my XD .40 and short barrel gold dots in my 9mm PF-9.

What I care about is that I get the rounds on target with a natural point of aim and good expansion. As was said earlier. The modern defensive rounds are all a lot better than they were even 10 years ago.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Ok ladies and gentlemen... after days of research, I've decided to go with the 147 grain Federal HST for my 9mm. Its a nice heavy bullet, it moves slower than most at that caliber and penetrates the least that I can find with reliable expansion.

NOW... if anyone has any ideas where I can find some...
    10.5 hours left...9mm Federal Premium HST 200 rds 147 gr NO RESERVE! : Pistol Ammo at GunBroker.com

BUT, the description I found on another vendor's site says "The next generation in high performance duty ammunition. HST® offers consistent expansion and optimum penetration for terminal performance. A specially designed hollow-point tip won't plug while passing through a variety of barriers and this bullet holds its jacket in the toughest conditions. HST is engineered to provide 100% weight retention through most barriers and impressive expansion."

Sounds like you still don't want to be shooting in the direction of the kids' bedrooms or neighbor's houses.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

4. Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    10.5 hours left...9mm Federal Premium HST 200 rds 147 gr NO RESERVE! : Pistol Ammo at GunBroker.com

BUT, the description I found on another vendor's site says "The next generation in high performance duty ammunition. HST® offers consistent expansion and optimum penetration for terminal performance. A specially designed hollow-point tip won't plug while passing through a variety of barriers and this bullet holds its jacket in the toughest conditions. HST is engineered to provide 100% weight retention through most barriers and impressive expansion."

Sounds like you still don't want to be shooting in the direction of the kids' bedrooms or neighbor's houses.
    I know... I was a little put off by that as well. But, what really sold me is a guy on youtube. He video tapes himself doing "backwoods style" ballistic testing on varying defense loads. the two least penetrating rounds that consistently hold their structure seem to be the HST and the Hornady critical defense.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

I know... I was a little put off by that as well. But, what really sold me is a guy on youtube. He video tapes himself doing "backwoods style" ballistic testing on varying defense loads. the two least penetrating rounds that consistently hold their structure seem to be the HST and the Hornady critical defense.
    Could you provide the link to that video?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    Lighter weight bullets might be preferred for use in shorter barreled guns to keep terminal velocity up where it will cause proper expansion on penetration.
    Yup. And the lighter bullet helps with the recoil in the smaller lighter guns. I opt for the 185gr .45 for use in the shorter Colt Officers rather than the 230gr.

I carry the Federal HS 230gr in the full size 45... I also like the performance ratings on the Critical Defense ammo.

I carry that in the 40c and the 357 revolver.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Ok ladies and gentlemen... after days of research, I've decided to go with the 147 grain Federal HST for my 9mm. Its a nice heavy bullet, it moves slower than most at that caliber and penetrates the least that I can find with reliable expansion.

NOW... if anyone has any ideas where I can find some...
    What kind of 9mm do you have? How long is the barrell? Just curious as a 147gr. projectile for 9mm is almost too heavy for the cartridge. They work well in carbine's, but not so much in pistols unless you have at least a 5' barrell. It is a sub-sonic round and performance has proven to be sub par at best. If I'm going to fire a heavy sub-sonic round, it's going to be a .45. Personally, I would never go heavier than 124gr. in 9mm. JMO..

8. Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Thanks Ice, good stuff appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by spf159753 View Post
    All the premium ammo made today are good enough in most cases. Shot placement is more important then bullet type.
    JHP are the way to go for self defense.
    Ball ammo, might over penetrate, and are not as good,as a fight stopper as JHP's are.
    Oh, and some guns work better with different types of ammo in them.
    Everyone has their preferences;ie, Ford, Chevy,Honda, Federal,Hornady,Remington,Corbon, etc.
    In the old days ammo was not as good as they make these days. Now everyone makes a good version of self defense ammo.
    Technology is better now.
    Practice hitting your target more, and worry about ammo brand less.
    No disrespect intended.
    Good luck,stay safe.
    Steve...
    I think this guy says it all about as plain as you could state the facts. All i will add is that although the the popular ,well known brands are best, i do feel most confident with win rangers and or feds HST's in the heaviest weight available. (.45)
    Hydra shoks are older technology and if anyone sees a LEO with them it's because thier dept. has a s*** load of them and needs to use them . They are better than range ammo so that would be a waste.
    Again , An old ,outdated , hydra shok fired in a well placed location will make you more than dead.
    A new ,super techno ,mega expanding penetrator will not stop anyone in a badly placed location.
    The above quote hold true no matter what. Be safe
    NEVER FORGET 9*11*01

There was an experiment done for expansion, with Hydra Shok, drill out ten posts, not for ten.

Ballistic gel. no difference in expansion, none.

Now guess what? no bad press on the round either.

Two ways of going home to Mum, hit the right spot, hit it a lot.

MORE is better, always.

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Yup. And the lighter bullet helps with the recoil in the smaller lighter guns. I opt for the 185gr .45 for use in the shorter Colt Officers rather than the 230gr.

I carry the Federal HS 230gr in the full size 45... I also like the performance ratings on the Critical Defense ammo.

I carry that in the 40c and the 357 revolver.

Peace...
    The Federal HS 165gr .45 at 1,060 fps. is worth consideration.
    ~ Truth Is Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth ~

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast