Federal Hydra-Shock Ammo - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Federal Hydra-Shock Ammo

I use Federal H.S. because I don't want the projectile to go through my target, and hit an innocent bystander.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    The Federal HS 165gr .45 at 1,060 fps. is worth consideration.
    This is true, lighter will be zippier through short barrels. I load 165gr in the .40 with a 3.5" barrel...
    Perhaps I'll try a few...

Thanks and Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    I use Federal H.S. because I don't want the projectile to go through my target, and hit an innocent bystander.
    The problem is that HS, like other JHP ammo, will go straight through your target if it clogs. Too many times now I've read the results of tests on JHP ammo (including Hydra-Shok) where it clogs after being shot through heavy clothing or multiple layers of lighter clothing. The newer generation of defense rounds (Powerball, Critical Defense, Extreme Shock, etc.), while not perfect, has proven to be much more reliable than traditional JHP rounds in terms of bullet expansion. That includes Hydra-Shok with it's little spike in the hollow point. Once it's clogged it's no better than a FMJ round.

What with all I've read, I'd almost rather have flat-nose rounds that JHPs.

I still would rather take my chances with Federal Hydra-shok. This is an excerpt from Massad Ayoob's Choose your ammo police style: In .45 caliber, the matured Federal Hydra-Shok design is something of a gold standard, and the Winchester SXT, Remington Golden Saber, and CCI Gold Dot also have delivered impressive performance in the field. These bullets reliably open up and get the job done. In .45 Auto, the 230-grain bullet at some 880 foot seconds has become standard in police work. Note that all of these are high-tech projectiles, what is known in the trade as “premium ammunition.” Not just my opinion, but of people in the know.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    I still would rather take my chances with Federal Hydra-shok. This is an excerpt from Massad Ayoob's Choose your ammo police style: In .45 caliber, the matured Federal Hydra-Shok design is something of a gold standard, and the Winchester SXT, Remington Golden Saber, and CCI Gold Dot also have delivered impressive performance in the field. These bullets reliably open up and get the job done. In .45 Auto, the 230-grain bullet at some 880 foot seconds has become standard in police work. Note that all of these are high-tech projectiles, what is known in the trade as “premium ammunition.” Not just my opinion, but of people in the know.
    I've always wanted to run a series of tests myself but down here in Fla you've got to have access to private land somewhere out in the sticks. That I don't have.

Something I have not seen here is any mention of reliability. The #1 requirement of SD ammo is it must function reliably in your weapon. Personally I carry Remington Golden Saber in my LCP because I have tested them in it and they function well. The Hornaday Critical Defense looks like a good one as well but I have not had the opportunity to try them out. I also bought two boxes of Speer Gold Dots that I want to try out.

In the Kahr 9mm I use Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHPs. The Smtih Model 60 .357 has .38 +P Winchester EXT (I think) rounds.

JSDinTexas Guest
    It's my understanding that the post helps keep debris out of the hole to allow for expansion - if any JHP hole fills with cloth or windshield glass, or whatever, expansion is affected or possibly eliminated.
    Also, my take is that in order to inflict damage, the round must hit vital organs. To do this it must penetrate (12" minimum). So I use a hot 180g JHP in .40 and 230g JHP in .45 . I want some weight in the slug for penetration and I also use Win SXT Ranger (replaced the Talon) since they are heated up a bit and go around 900-1000 fps. I think there is a fallicy about the shock bullets may cause at high speeds - in order to create internal shock the round must be traveling above 1500 fps and closer to 2000 fps, and no handgun round does that. So size (caliber) is a bigger consideration for me. And through and through hitting a third party is not an issue unless the shooter can't hit the side of the barn.
    I would list the mfgs/rounds I like in this order: Win SXT Ranger, Speer Gold Dot, Win Silvertip, and then Fed Hydro. And I consider penetration, flair of the HP, price (but my life will not depend on price necessarily). And sorry, no 9mm for SD folks.

personal defence rounds

I use federal Hdroshocks in a 230G JHP in my DW valor.. 94% first shot stop.. so all the gun mags say..Cant say for mmyself never had to use it yet. feel sorry for the fella on the other end though

Well this was an interesting post. It seems there is as many types of ammo as there are guns, and everyone has their favorite. I for one will use what's handy. If my pistol (whichever I pick up for carrying that day) happens to be loaded with wad cutters, round nose, flat nose, hollow point by any manufacture or glaser's I'm going to use what's in it. I could care less what ammo is in the gun at the time if I am in a situation where it calls for me to draw on someone. I'm not N.A.T.O. and I don't play fair either. When it comes to kill or be killed they will get what's coming out of the barrel until the threat is neutralized.

11. From everything I've seen, the intent of the hydra-shock was penetration. They were meant to shoot through car doors and windshields.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast