Long Term Ammo Storage
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Ammo Storage

Long Term Ammo Storage

Hi everyone, I just joined. I am going to be storing 1000 rounds of 40 cal ball, 40 cal hollow, 9mm ball and 9mm hollow, and 1000 12 gauge 00. I'll be storing in ammo cans, although should the rounds be stored in the factory boxes or not; it just seems that not being in boxes may save on space. what do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.

[QUOTE=lmh3963;138333]Hi everyone, I just joined. I am going to be storing 1000 rounds of 40 cal ball, 40 cal hollow, 9mm ball and 9mm hollow, and 1000 12 gauge 00. I'll be storing in ammo cans, although should the rounds be stored in the factory boxes or not; it just seems that not being in boxes may save on space. what do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE
    ]It is people like you hording all the ammo, is the reason nobody can find any ammo to go target shooting.
    Regarding your post, keep them in the factory boxes. They will store in smaller space and neatly.
    If you want to try put 1000 rounds in boxes in the can. Then open the boxes and put in the can. You will see for yourself.

Besides maybe some of your friends, or family might want some, of your horded ammo, and you can just hand them a box, or 10.

If you take the ammo out of the factory boxes you will save a lot of space. I can store 1000 rnds of loose reloads in an ammo can where I only have room for 300 rnds that are still in their factory boxes (.45 ACP WWB).

If you decide to go this route, I would suggest that you use zip-lock bags to keep the ammo in 50 or 100 count packages. That way you will still save the space while keeping the ammo in manageable quantity packages. I would also suggest tearing off the end of the box and keeping it in the zip-lock bag so that there is no question of what you have after a long period of storage. And donít forget some sort of desiccant to keep the moisture to a minimum.

Personally, I go back and forth on this. I have some ammo that I have put in zip-lock bags and some that I still have in their factory boxes ( of course, I still have empty ammo cans so space is not an issue for me right now).

Quote Originally Posted by lmh3963 View Post
    Hi everyone, I just joined. I am going to be storing 1000 rounds of 40 cal ball, 40 cal hollow, 9mm ball and 9mm hollow, and 1000 12 gauge 00. I'll be storing in ammo cans, although should the rounds be stored in the factory boxes or not; it just seems that not being in boxes may save on space. what do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.
    LMH, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting the question.. please take TheIceMan with a grain of salt, these are common of his postings and I think you will find the rest of us here much more friendly :-)

I mostly agree with TCOTARIU... removing the ammo and storing it loose will save you lots of room..I also keep some in the box in the safe...regaring the plastic bag idea, I haven't personally done it, but I woudl think it might help trap moisture if some snuck in..maybe someone else can chime in that has stored ammo that way. Either way, the dessicant packets are a very good idea for true long-term storage.

Once again, welcome, and please continue posting

Welcome to the forum. I keep my reloads in surplus ammo cans. The zip lock plastic bag idea I use for my brass before reloading. If your ammo cans have a seal around the lid you should be good. I lube the seal to make sure it stays pliable and I tape a desiccant to the inside lid to catch any moisture that may be lingering around. Donít know for how long it would last but if you keep them sealed and only open when needed you should be good to go. You can store a lot more in the cans if removed from the factory boxes. I can get about 1100 .40 in mine. They are rather small but at 3.00 a pop they are cheap.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Arrow You bought the ammo; it is yours.

First, LMH, that ammunition is fairly paid for and is your property; you do with it as you see fit (except send it downrange toward me!).

Second, anyone who is NOT squirreling away a few rounds here and there (you know, for a rainy day) has got to be one short sighted imbecile.

Finally, I have had fantastic luck using a vacuum sealer for ammunition storage. You can cut the bags to fit any container you wish, stack or layer the cartridges as you want, and when you vacuum seal the bag, it will hold those cartridges together in a solid brick. I have stored them this way for many, many years. I recently went home to Tennessee (family farm was totally submerged, but no one was hurt) and found that one of my buried cach..... uh, I mean...... one of the packs of ammo that I had stored in an underground storage facility had been submerged under feet of water for some time. The box that I had stored the ammo and other assorted items in had failed, and much of what I had was compromised. All of the ammunition, however, was bright and shiny as the day I packed it. I took it out the next day and ran through a couple of hundred rounds with nary a problem.

I have found that a vacuum sealer is one of the best investments I have ever made. YMMV.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Exclamation wHAT IS WRONG WITH STOCKING UP?

[quote=theicemanmpls;138361]
    Hi everyone, I just joined. I am going to be storing 1000 rounds of 40 cal ball, 40 cal hollow, 9mm ball and 9mm hollow, and 1000 12 gauge 00. I'll be storing in ammo cans, although should the rounds be stored in the factory boxes or not; it just seems that not being in boxes may save on space. what do ya'll think? Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE
    ]It is people like you hording all the ammo, is the reason nobody can find any ammo to go target shooting.
    Regarding your post, keep them in the factory boxes. They will store in smaller space and neatly.
    If you want to try put 1000 rounds in boxes in the can. Then open the boxes and put in the can. You will see for yourself.

Besides maybe some of your friends, or family might want some, of your horded ammo, and you can just hand them a box, or 10.
    What is wrong with stocking up? It is not an unreasonable ammount. You can burn up that much ammo in a weekend of match shooting during a competition.

I think you are trying to disuade people from being prepared. The reason that you can not find ammo is because now more than ever AMERICANS are exercising the right to keep and bear arms. There are more legal gun owners than ever before. People are scared. They know things are getting bad. Many are buying a gun now before the ability to goes away with the stroke of a pen.

I personally believe your views on hoarding ammo are unrealistic. You are upset that you did not get what you think you need before availability went south.

Stop berating others for being prudent. You may need some friends who have ammo in the coming years.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Thanks for input

There has been an ammo shortage down here in the South as well, so to anyone frustrated, I "get" the frustration. Although I think it's a necessity to have ammo stored up; not only for defense puposes, but for bartering opportunites as well. In the event that I am faced with any of those scenarios, I'll be ready. Plus, It's not that much ammo.

Thanks to everyone that threw in their two senses. I really appreciate the welcome and comments, have a nice Sunday.

There are members of this forum who seem to believe 'reasonable' gun control is acceptable and nobody needs semi-automatic firearms or a large amount of ammunition. I'm sure, if pressed, they'd be comfortable with all guns being unloaded and locked away at all times lest somebody actually have the means to protect life or property -- especially property ...

Ignore them.

If you have the money to buy ammo, buy all you want and can afford. It's your money and you can spend it as you please. Ammunition is not a limited resource, the factories are making it every day. Enjoy your time shooting, and relish the comfort having too much ammunition can provide.
    There has been an ammo shortage down here in the South as well, so to anyone frustrated, I "get" the frustration. Although I think it's a necessity to have ammo stored up; not only for defense puposes, but for bartering opportunites as well. In the event that I am faced with any of those scenarios, I'll be ready. Plus, It's not that much ammo.

Thanks to everyone that threw in their two senses. I really appreciate the welcome and comments, have a nice Sunday.
    Hey Ice-Baby ... we've got another machine gun shoot here in Vegas in a few weeks -- want to come out and meet some free people?
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

11. I would suggest you start getting into reload then would can really start hording. Keep in the original boxes. If you get into reloading you will want to segregate the differant brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast