9mm Probs

Thread: 9mm Probs

9mm Probs

I have been handloading for 30+ years, but am banging my head against the wall on 9mms. First size and deprime, check for proper length, bell mouth, prime, powder, seat bullet with taper crimp. I have miked mine compared to factory and they are exact, but when my reloads are used, some don't extract. Driving me crazy, anyone out there with similar probs, and did you find a solution? I am at a loss for this one. My 45's and 40's work fine, just probs with the 9s. I have made sure that the cases are seating properly and not being forced into the lands and groves, but are properly head spaced. ANY HELP?

Quote Originally Posted by Pixx View Post
    I have been handloading for 30+ years, but am banging my head against the wall on 9mms. First size and deprime, check for proper length, bell mouth, prime, powder, seat bullet with taper crimp. I have miked mine compared to factory and they are exact, but when my reloads are used, some don't extract. Driving me crazy, anyone out there with similar probs, and did you find a solution? I am at a loss for this one. My 45's and 40's work fine, just probs with the 9s. I have made sure that the cases are seating properly and not being forced into the lands and groves, but are properly head spaced. ANY HELP?
    What make/model gun are you shooting the 9mm rounds out of?
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

4. Thousands of rounds of reloads using whatever brass I pick up. Never had a similar problem. Is your extractor fully engaging the rim? Maybe you should get some Cerrosafe chamber casting alloy from Midway USA and check your chamber, forcing cone and bore.

5. Are you checking the rims on your shells? I remember in loading .45 ACP shells that if the empty cases didn't slide into the shell holder easily I pitched the case. It increased the reliability of my reloads considerably.

I am using a Taurus (I put in a new spring set), a brand new out of the box Beretta, and a Glock 26. Yes, I have check the rims on the brass, some of the brass is brand new out of the box, never fired.