Hoarding AMMO - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoarding AMMO

The deadly effects of lead vapor poisoning are well established and documented. When I worked for a jeweler, we actually stopped performing repairs on items that had been manufactured or repaired with lead solder. It is really nasty stuff. I try to find lead free ammo if I am going to be shooting indoors.
    (Sorry- quote was not working)
    Most ammo used today is at least "Semi-Jacketed" anyway. You would have to do a God Awfull lot of shooting indoors to worry about the affects of breathing in any lead (as indoor ranges are also well ventelated). The deadly effects of lead vapor poisoning MAY BE well established and documented, but I can bet that it was NOT done (documented) in an "Indoor Shooting Range". Humans have been using lead ammo since the invention of the firearm; we have been waring with it, hunting (then eating what we shoot) with it, target shooting with it, plinking with it for over 400 - 500 years, even longer than that. You are more likely to get lead poisening from nature.

There's a misconception about casting/melting lead. In order to get lead vapors it has to be heated to its boiling point and lead doesn't boil until it reaches 3180 F. Just melting lead or soldering lead will not cause lead poisoning. Where you get into trouble is when you don't wash your hands and ingest something. I've had high levels of lead in my body before. As a Combat Arms Instructor in the Air Force I ran a few indoor ranges. One in particular had very bad ventilation and I had an accumulation of lead build up in my system. We fired Wadcutters out of S&W M-15's and the left a large amount of lead particles in the air. The remedy was I had to stay away from the interior of the range for several month until the level went down to an acceptable level.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I was in the Jewelry business for 35+ years and if you have ever seen a jeweler working on something in the shop. He is hunched over looking through a large magnifying glass using a torch. At that angle the smoke from whatever they are working on goes right up their nose. I have lost a few friends to this type of work, and know of several others that can no longer be a "bench man" due to the damage to their lungs or are dead at a young age. I think this is what the other poster was getting at.
    This also happens when working with exotic woods as well. Cocobolo comes to mind, when sanding it the particles that come off it are very poisonous.

What do you guys consider hoarding? Every day that I can see the target on my range I shoot, plus after I mow the rifle range, I am going to start shooting clays.

So what are we talking about in numbers? A few boxes or a 40m/m can full?

Jerry
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member
    Crossbow Nation

wolfhunter Guest
    This a pdf from a spreadsheet I was given. It was set up to show goals and needs by caliber. It does NOT reflect what I own or what the person who gave it to me has, just numbers for illustration purpose.

Attachment 553

Nice illustration, where I live, the folks are afraid of the Zombies from the big cities coming out here. A couple of the people around me could probably hold off a rifle platoon for a couple of hours. If you don't appreciate that comparison, it means these people have a whole freakin' lot of ammo.

The two Walmarts near me are still sells alot of the15 packs of deer slugs and deer season ended 6 or7 month ago. Plus they are buying 9mm, 45 ACP and 357 Magnum pistol ammo. I am not sure but I think many of them are hoarding 7.62 x 39 by the case lot.

Jerry
    Crossbow Nation

How many of you would say that having having 25,000 rounds total on had is hoarding?

Jerry
    Crossbow Nation

Quote Originally Posted by miestrojerry View Post
    How many of you would say that having having 25,000 rounds total on had is hoarding?

Jerry
    Well, it's a good start!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

I came home from the service with about 10,000 rounds of 5,56 Green tip (M855) and have only blown out about 1500 of that thus far. I have 23 PMAG's loaded at all times with this same ammo and some Mk262 77 Grain. I'm not in a hurry to shoot it up either.

Pistol cartridge caliber ammunition is a weekly purchase, regardless of what I can find I'll take it. I'm estimating that I may have 2,000 rounds of various JHP and FMJ .45 ACP and the same with .40 Smith and 9mm Luger.

6.8 SPC is what I don't have enough of, at this moment. But I do pick up a couple of boxes everytime I get a reminder notice through email from MidwayUSA or other ammunition online carriers once the high end stuff is back in stock. I generally stay with SSA Armory for my 6.8 SPC in the 115 grain tactical load with the Sierra BTHT bullets.

I don't "hoard" it's just being prepared. I don't want to get caught in the middle of some cluster F#@$ event without enough ammunition to sustain me for a long period of time.

I am currently also in the OO Buck mode recently as that's the only scattergun shell that I'll shoot.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by 91JEEPYJ View Post
    So when "collecting" large amounts of ammo is there room for reloads?

I don't mean the packaged ones some (not me) would be willing to buy at the local gun shop. I mean ones that I have loaded personally. I got into hand loading because the 10mm is just too expensive to shoot if you have to buy ammo at whatever place you can find that carries 10mm. Additionally, I hand load subsonic rounds for my 9mm as well as pretty standard .45ACP load for the 1911. If you shoot a lot like I do then it's way cheaper and more customizable.

I've kept load counts on all my brass so I'm not worried about casing failures that could cause potential problems and I've worked out all the bugs as far as overall lengths, charges for a given caliber, and seating depths. Plainly put, I know all the stuff I reload will cycle reliably and none of it will cause any problems typically associated with reloads.

Would this be acceptable for "collection"?
    I don't buy ammo in stores for 10mm, .40 .357sig or 9mm anymore. I have several thousand 10mm rounds that are more powerful more accurate and of higher quality than Wnchester Hornady Federal or DT can produce.
    I believe that economically it makes sense to buy a commodity when the price is low and buy as much of it as you can afford because it is not going to get any less expensive and there may come a time when DC goes of the rails and will ban ammunition all together or tax it to the point the police and military will be the only one to have ammo available to them. The current ammo shortage is due to this right now using the 2 wars and Obama regime. Claims of lack of raw material or production capacity as ruse to drive up the cost. The companies that are really making the money are the Remington Federal and Winchesters IMR Hogdon Alliant of the world.
    Yet I see that Starline brass and Montana Gold bullets have gone up very little in the last 2 years, Russian made 7.62X39 is still 30.00 per hundred or less. Try buying .233 or 5.56 for that price. If you have a safe place to store it buy as much as you can when its available or better yet invest in a reloading set up and roll your own.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast