Right handed and left eye dominant- HELP! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Right handed and left eye dominant- HELP!

Hey Marrisa;
    My wife is right handed and left eye dominate as well. (It's funny; but I see a lot of women that suffer from the same malady. )

My wife has done several things; including shooting lefty and covering her left eye to strengthen the right. (This may have worked "somewhat".) After a year she seems to depend more on her right eye when shooting a handgun. But, she still prefers to shoot a long gun lefty style.

I suggest to just keep practicing. I think over time your body will adapt and you will become very proficient. I know my wife did.
    (After little more than a year, she can out shoot me and most of the 200 men in our gun club.)

Left eye dominant and right handed, here. No problem with a handgun, as others have posted, I use a Weaver stance and simply shift my head a bit. Easily qualify with the US Marshal's criteria. Here's an advantage, too: I shoot very well left handed (imagine your "good" hand has been wounded), since that's the dominant eye.

I still shoot a rifle (and bow) right handed, good enough to whack my share of large game. I'll never be a sharpshooter but I'm feeling kinda old to try and shoot left handed now.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa View Post
    Thank you dear, you're very cute. As you know, I want MY OWN handgun! You know I love your M&P!
    Sounds like it's time for KN to move up to the M&P .45 (see KN, it's karma working again..) He seemed to like mine and he shot it quite well as I recall..

Also try shooting with both eyes open and allow your dominant eye to get the front sight alignment. Yea I know sounds hokey, but I have tried it with some level of success. I shoot a rimfire only plate shoot match every other Monday and have trained myself to use both eyes. I'm using a red dot scope in that case. I've tried it with the .45 on iron sights and it just takes practice and some getting used to.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

5. I have the same issue. Right Handed, Left Eyed.

For pistol I typically use a modified weaver stance with the supporting arm slightly pulling my strong arm to the left. This has worked very well for me.

For rifle with iron sites or a scope, I close my left eye and shoot just fine that way. Shooting rifle with both eyes open just doesn't work well for me without a reflex site or utilizing a point shooting technique.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marissa View Post
    Thank you dear, you're very cute. As you know, I want MY OWN handgun! You know I love your M&P!
    As I understand it, it is a woman's prerogative to just claim that M&P as your own and tell him to go get his own.

I'm a fan of the "both eyes open" school of fixing this. If you simply point your finger at something, as if indicating something to a friend, you'll find - if you freeze it and follow it through - that your "aim" is usually unerring. By practicing the same skill at normal 'social encounter' distances - 1 to 7 yards, for example - you might find yourself getting more skillful at your pistolcraft.

Of course, for pinpoint bullseye shooting at 25 yards, you'll have to compromise. I also think a red-dot holographic-type sight is a good option. There are plenty of really good ones available for a variety of sidearms.

Good Luck!! Keep us informed!
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

I too suffer from right hand/left eye dominance. I never even knew it until a few months ago when I tried my first long guns. I had been shooting pistols for quite a while with no problem; I did well with either hand. Once my husband handed me a rifle for the first time, I couldn't line up the front & rear sights for anything. It never occured to either of us that I was closing my right eye... Out of desperation, I tried left handed, and immediately acquired a proper sight picture. I am still experimenting between shooting left handed and shooting with both eyes open. So far I am doing better with both eyes open. Since I have had some problems with my right wrist, I feel it is especially important to be proficient shooting from either side. Good luck in finding what works best for you.
    Fondis

I don't understand why being right handed with a strong left eye is a problem. I have been this way for 48 years I tilt my head to the left to make any adjustments needed to make the proper sight adjustments.

10. Have you tried shooting with both eyes open? You'll get two sight pictures. With a little practice you'll be able to shoot left or right handed. I'm RH and in the military I began to practice left handed. Pretty soon I was able to shoot both-eyes-open and equally good with either hand.

If you are firing with the RH, use the left sight picture. If you are firing RH, use the left sight picture.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    As I understand it, it is a woman's prerogative to just claim that M&P as your own and tell him to go get his own.
    See, now that's what I wrote...

KN get the M&P45 and give the 9c to the lovely wife.
    If need be I'll come down to the range again and bring mine along for persuasion...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast