OC or CC? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OC or CC?

I don't disagree with you as much as you might think. If we are going to walk through life armed we better have our heads screwed on tight. We need to be thinking men, not brawlers. Mistakes with a firearm can cost the needless loss of life. I believe the benefits of having an armed society far out weigh the other. The true benefit of this type of site is education and provoking thought.

I do agree that most BG's don't OC. I just don't want to be caught off guard for the one statistical anomaly.

I agree with the deterrent part. I believe in the saying "a armed society is a polite society". Most people I know who CC or OC will go far out of their way to avoid a conflict. I will always chose polite, respectful discussion over pulling my weapon. Statistics prove the greatest percentage of CPL holders feel the same way. At my age I don't have anything to prove.

Back to the people that relocated in the restaurant. If some idiot starts shooting up the place do you want to be setting next to them, or across the room? I realize it's spitting hairs. When I'm shooting close is good, when they are shooting distance is my friend.

I'm also confused by the PFZ laws. What is the real benefit of having people OC in those areas? It makes much more sense to allow CC in those areas. Those laws seem like they are based on irrational fear.

Retail establishments that prohibit lawful carry of firearms do not get my business. Not one of them is so specialized that I can't buy what I need somewhere that respects my right of personal safety. How dangerous is a chain of jewelry stores with signs that say "no guns". Man if I were a coward criminal that would be my favorite place.

I also want to say very good response about dealing with an LEO. I would also add if you can stand in front of the patrol car almost all have camera's that will record everything. It's amazing how polite people can be when they know they are being recorded. The greatest percentage of LEO's are professionals and they conduct themselves accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    You have the same problem I have with CC. It's uncomfortable to me. I hear about the holsters that are so nice you can't tell you're wearing one, etc. Listen if I stick something inside my waistband, it changes the sizing of my pants...period. I don't like that. I want to place a holster where it supposed to be...on the belt!
    To me, nothing is more uncomfortable than carrying inside my waistband.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    To me, nothing is more uncomfortable than carrying inside my waistband.
    Same here. So, I carry OWB, strong side, 4 o'clock. Sometimes shirt covers it, sometimes I grab a light vest, sometimes it's OC. No deep concealment for me; if I need it's like...right there, right now.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Same here. So, I carry OWB, strong side, 4 o'clock. Sometimes shirt covers it, sometimes I grab a light vest, sometimes it's OC. No deep concealment for me; if I need it's like...right there, right now.
    Yep,and you don't feel like you've got a tumor growing out of your side.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Yep,and you don't feel like you've got a tumor growing out of your side.
    Well, yeah, that's always nice, too...
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

I carry shoulder and or SOB, 1911A1. Whilst I've got girth to CC, I'd rather OC. Much more comfortable and would not be as restrained by clothing on the draw. BUT, those of us are restricted BY LAW in SC. ONLY to and from Hunting and or the range.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by SSBN620Gold View Post
    I agree with the deterrent part. I believe in the saying "a armed society is a polite society". Most people I know who CC or OC will go far out of their way to avoid a conflict. I will always chose polite, respectful discussion over pulling my weapon. Statistics prove the greatest percentage of CPL holders feel the same way. At my age I don't have anything to prove.

Back to the people that relocated in the restaurant. If some idiot starts shooting up the place do you want to be setting next to them, or across the room? I realize it's spitting hairs. When I'm shooting close is good, when they are shooting distance is my friend.

I'm also confused by the PFZ laws. What is the real benefit of having people OC in those areas? It makes much more sense to allow CC in those areas. Those laws seem like they are based on irrational fear.
    You know something, Gold? I like your style. Good note on being in front of cruiser dash cams!

Anyone who carries, regardless of how, SHOULD go out of their way to avoid a conflict! I think it safe to say that the collective "we" know that our firearms are a last resort and act accordingly. And regardless of age, anyone who carries shouldn't feel as tho they have anything to prove. That could lead to slippery slopes.

As per the people relocating in the restaurant - like I said, whatever makes them feel more comfortable. I understand and agree that the more distance between you and a shooter, the better. It was just that they didn't move too far from me and were still in direct line of sight... I thought it a little comical. I understand their logic, tho.

Lastly, PFZ's. I'm with you on feeling that it's silly disallowing CC but allowing OC. I was only pointing out the option - not backing how the law is written. Even if you're strictly CC, you might prefer to OC in those areas rather than go unarmed. I, too, would like to see PFZs eliminated. I don't know as the establishment of a "PFZ" has ever prevented a single crime. They're certainly not that effective... ask anyone from Columbine, Virginia Tech, church parishoners in Tennessee, or shoppers at any mall that's had a mass shooting.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

As far as comfort goes, I think I may in a fortunate minority - I've had no problem with discomfort when carrying IWB. Keep in mind also that I'm not toting a full-size 1911, either. My OC gun is an XD40, 4-inch. When I conceal or 1/2-ass conceal (exposed IWB) I carry my Taurus 140Pro. The only holster I have for my XD is OWB and therefore gets OC'd for the most part. Same for the Taurus, but only have an IWB holster for it, other than my shoulder rigs that fit all 3 of my carry pistols.

There's always some give and take tho. Where I can wear/carry IWB comfortably, I'm very slim and not a big fellow at all, and therefore, concealing can be a little difficult sometimes. It seems like guys who are bigger and bulkier conceal easier, even full-sized pistols. For me to effectively conceal, I require a smaller gun and have to dress accordingly. Also, as someone mentioned, carrying IWB changes the fit of your pants. I only wear jeans so it's not like I'm wearing anything custom-tailored. For me it's easy, I have 3 holes in my belt in close proximity, and each one is for a specific mode of carry.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Just a few points, Criminals tend to hide their weapons until just prior to their heinous deed, so the guy that is openly OC is not very likely to be a problem...

When the shooting starts I prefer CC if you are OC and you have been spotted by the BG (if he has had time to look the place over) unless he is stupid you will be his first target... You dedicated OC people can argue that point until the cows come home but facts are you eliminate the threats first.....

There is a old saying..... "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" Now I am in no way condoning the breaking of the law but the facts are concealed means concealed if you do not need it no one will know, and if you do, prosecutors have a very hard time trying to press misnomers charges against someone that has just saved a bunch of lives.....

Yes the vast majority of those that carry do so responsibly, it is a very serious decision, you must take steps to often to be the adult and back away from issues that when you were 18 would have jumped blindly into.... but there are a few (and fortunately far between) that get stupid and end up in the news, and they make us all look bad by proxy.

Lastly time to correct nomenclature, it's not PFZ but CEZ Criminal Empowerment Zone here in MI...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    When the shooting starts I prefer CC if you are OC and you have been spotted by the BG (if he has had time to look the place over) unless he is stupid you will be his first target... You dedicated CC people can argue that point until the cows come home but facts are you eliminate the threats first.....
    If you are OC and you have been spotted by the BG (if he has had to look the place over) unless he is stupid he will simply go down the street to a place where there aren't visibly armed citizens present or wait a few minutes for the armed citizen to leave. You dedicated CC people can argue that point until the cows come home but facts are criminals don't want to get caught or shot - and messing with an armed citizen greatly increases the chance of both. There has never been anyone yet who has been able to provide a real life example of a regular Joe Citizen person open carrying getting shot first. The only examples have been uniformed guards or police officers.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast